This recipe features a super fudgy, chewy brownie made with coconut oil and almond flour with a vegan chocolate ganache. It is the ultimate decadence!
Does the word wide web need a another brownie recipe? May be not….or may be one with a healthier twist? Well, here is my humble addition to the zillion recipes out there. This is one recipe that is gonna go in your vault, why? Well, this recipe has it all – moist and fudgy centre with chewy edges, a serious chocoholic’s chocolate overload, a velvety smooth chocolate-coconut milk ganache that sets just to barely stick to your fingers and then it is made with all good for you ingredients (if you just ignore the sugars). Are you convinced yet? Ok, did I tell you that this brownie recipe is an easy one and requires no mixers? Now, I got your attention, huh? Let us go though the ingredients first,
- Super trendy and healthy coconut oil, instead of butter
- almond flour instead of usual all purpose flour
- dark chocolate and cocoa powder
- coconut milk
- final and the sinful ingredient is sugar (both brown and plain). I told you’ll its a healthy-ish recipe. All that sugar makes this brownie decadently sinful yet we don’t have to feel too guilty! That is my kinda dessert!!!
Let us get to the details –
…melt coconut oil and chocolate chips in the microwave until melted, cool for 5 minutes
….stir in sugars
….mix in eggs and vanilla
….whisk in almond flour, cocoa powder and salt
….transfer to pan and bake
You can totally stop here and enjoy your brownies. But, I decided to take it a step further and add a thin layer of ganache, why not…right? This is a vegan ganache that is made with chocolate chips and coconut milk. The coconut taste comes through faintly, making it super delicious. Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk in microwave until smooth and slather on top of brownies.
Don’t forget to check out a quick method to temper chocolate in the microwave!
-I buy super fine almond flour from Costco and it is mostly available at all leading grocery stores and Amazon.
Skill level – Intermediate
Healthy-ish Gluten and Dairy Free Brownies
Healthy-ish Gluten and Dairy Free Brownies
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup almond flour, super fine
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup golden brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Coconut milk ganache
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 ounces white chocolate chips
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut milk, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper ( let the paper come up to the sides of the pan), set aside.
2. In a large microwave safe bowl, combine 4 ounces chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave on high for 1 to 1/2 minutes, until the chocolate is melted (stir every 20 seconds). Let mixture cool for about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a another smaller bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder and salt and set aside.
4. Add both sugars to the melted coconut oil and chocolate mixture, whisk for about 1 minute, until thoroughly combined. Now, whisk in one egg at a time, until each egg in incorporated well. Whisk in vanilla extract. Add all dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
5. Transfer batter into the prepared pan , spread evenly and smooth top. Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownie comes with some batter attached to it. Do not over bake.
6. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
To make coconut milk ganache,
1. In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine semi sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup coconut milk, microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, until melted and smooth (stir every 20 seconds). Set aside and make white chocolate ganache.
2. In a another small microwave safe bowl, combine white chocolate chips and remaining 1 tablespoon coconut milk, microwave for 30 to 60 seconds, until melted and smooth (stir every 20 seconds).
3. Dollop both glazes randomly on top of the brownie, gently swirl with a tooth pick. Let stand at room temperature for glaze to set, 3 to 4 hours. Cut into squares and serve.
Makes 16 squares
Make plain brownies – Omit coconut milk ganache completely
Make brownies with only dark chocolate ganache – Melt 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 5 tablepoons coconut milk until smooth and spread on brownies
Don’t forget to Pin this image!