Creamy, dairy-free milk that tastes delicious plain or with coffee / tea.
A tall glass of milk has been my breakfast as long as I could remember. May be it was due to the fact that I was a late riser on school days or was just too busy packing up my homework (yeah, I was a total procrastinator right from childhood 😓). Anyhoo, milk it was and still is!!! As you can imagine, it gets boring at times and tend to look for other options.
Homemade nut milk can be daunting at times due to the process of straining, which requires a Nut Milk Bag and usually takes at least 5 minutes of squeezing. Cashew milk is a great option, when you are pressed for time or simply don’t have the patience ( like moi ).
This milk is creamy with a hint of sweetness from the dates and vanilla and is a delicious alternative for someone with dietary restrictions or just looking for change.
Soak cashews the previous day or night in the refrigerator. Strain and rinse well. Grind along with all other ingredients and pass through a regular strainer (this step is optional, so skip if you wish to).
Enjoy plain over some ice or store in the refrigerator for up to a day (stir well before enjoying).
Adapted from cookieandkate
Skill level – Easy
Homemade Cashew Milk
1/2 cup raw cashews
2 cups water, plus additional for soaking
1-2 dates, pits removed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Soak cashews in water (at least 2 cups), place in the refrigerator for overnight or up to 1 day.
2. Strain cashews (discard water) and rinse well.
3. Place cashews in a blender along with 2 cups water, dates, vanilla and salt. Blend on high for 3-4 minutes (this depends on the blender and it took 4 minutes in my Oster Blender ).
4. Pour milk through the finest strainer you have on hand.
5. Serve immediately plain or with coffee. Milk can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups milk
Don’t forget to Pin this image!