Hands down this may be the best tasting waffle I’ve ever made.
Toast sesame seeds -> do not skip this step. Place sesame seeds (white variety can be used too) in a dry skillet, cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes (stirring often), until you begin to hear popping sound and a few seeds start to jump. Transfer into another bowl or plate and let cool.
Almond flour (use super fine variety) makes a super tender waffle and bumps up the nutrition factor —my go-to for panackes/waffles.
Skill level – Intermediate
Buttermilk Waffles With Bananas And Black Sesame
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup black sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 bananas, mashed (medium)
2 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat your waffle iron according to manufactures directions.
2. Into a large bowl, whisk first 6 ingredients (flour through baking soda) together and set aside.
3. Into another large bowl, whisk eggs, melted coconut oil, mashed bananas and buttermilk until smooth. Add the flour mixture and whisk until combined.
4. Grease both sides of waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray, add about 1/3 cup batter for each waffle, close and cook according to manufacture’s instructions.
5. Transfer cooked waffle onto a serving plate and repeat until all batter is used.
6. Serve waffles hot with maple syrup and/or salted butter.
Makes 16-18 waffles