Cheesy and nutritious with roasted yukon gold potatoes, creamy avocado, vine ripened tomatoes, basil pesto and two types of cheeses.
Anything better than carbs on carbs?
May be some oooey gooey melted cheese action?
Then some avocados, basil pesto and ripe tomatoes.
Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. It’s good anytime.
Skill level – Easy
Roasted Potato, Pesto & Avocado Grilled Cheese
1 pound yukon gold potatoes, about 6 small or 2 large
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper powder
8 slices (1/2-inch thick) firm white sandwich bread (like buttermilk/ artisan/ pullman / wheat)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 large avocado, coarsely mashed
1/2 cup basil pesto
1-2 ripe tomatoes (sliced and patted dry with paper towel to absorb excess moisture)
4 slices mozzarella cheese
4 slices pepper jack cheese
To make roasted potatoes,
1. Pre heat oven to 450 degrees F. Have a small baking pan or medium baking pan ready (any baking pan that can hold potatoes in a single layer).
2. Wash, peel and cut potatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices.
3. Add potatoes and all other ingredients into the baking pan and toss well until all the spice mixture and oil evenly coats the potatoes.
4. Arrange them in a single layer and place the baking pan in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle of a potato, goes in easily without any resistance.
4. Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
To assemble sandwich,
1. Spread about 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice.
2. Place 4 slices (mayo side down) on a work surface. Spread 1/4th each of avocado, pesto, 1 slice of mozzarella, roasted potatoes, tomato slices, 1 slice pepper jack, close with remaining bread slices (mayo side up).
To make grilled cheese in a waffle iron,
1. Pre heat your waffle iron according to manufactures instructions.
2. Gently place 2 sandwiches in the middle of the iron, close and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Remove gently and serve hot.
To make grilled cheese in a skillet,
1. Heat a large skillet over low heat.
2. Gently place sandwiches and cover. Cook turning once, until golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side). Sandwich might be a little difficult to turn (these babies are loaded), use a wide spatula and try your best. Press down on sandwiches (once or twice) to ensure even cooking and to melt cheese.
Makes 4 sandwiches