Spooktacular grilled cheese!!! Everyone’s favorite grilled cheese turned into a perfect Halloween sandwich.
Ain’t a recipe, just an idea. An awesomely fun idea.
How fun are these?
Adorably spooky for the kiddos.
The choice of bread was rye. But, you can use any kinda bread that you have on hand.
I’ve included step-by-step pictures—
Place two slices of bread on the counter
Place 2 slices of mozzarella on one
Cut cheese to fit. We’ll need three round cookie cutters of different sizes, that are proportionate to the size of bread that you use. I’ve used 2 1/2-inch, 1 1/4-inch, 3/4-inch (If you notice, I’ve used a pastry tip for the smallest size. So, use whatever you can find around the home)
Using the largest cutter, cut one circle (off-centered)
Using the same cutter, cut another overlapping circle.
Place the bread slice over the cheese
Using the middle cutter, cut one circle (off-centered like this) from both piece_1 and piece_2 and place over the cheese.
Using the largest cutter, cut three pieces from piece_1, to make the nose and wings.
Place nose in between the eyes (you might have to snug it in)
Fold the remaining cheese slice in half. Using the smallest cutter, cut 2 circles and place over eyes.
Place two slice of olives
Cut two small pieces of cheese and place on either side of the face (this will work as a glue to hold the wing in place. So, let this piece be smaller than the wings)
Place two wings over the cheese and secure with toothpicks( I broke one toothpick in half and used to secure each wing). We will remove the toothpicks before serving.
Add some butter into a medium non-stick pan and heat over medium heat. Hold the sandwich on both sides and gently place in the hot pan, cover with a lid and cook for about 3 minutes, until cheese begins to melt. (The sandwich will be cooked only on one side, for obvious reasons)
Skill level – Easy
Owl Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
2 slices rye bread (or whole wheat bread)
3 slices mozzarella cheese
2 olive slices
1 teaspoon salted butter, for cooking
3 circle cutters ( 2 1/2-inch, 1 1/4-inch, 3/4-inch)
1. Follow pictures and make sandwich.
2. Add butter into a medium non-stick pan and heat over medium heat. Hold the sandwich on both sides and gently place in the hot pan, cover with a lid and cook for about 3 minutes, until cheese BEGINS to melt. (The sandwich will be cooked only on one side, for obvious reasons). Please make sure the sandwich doesn’t get burnt in the bottom. Remove both toothpicks.
3. Serve hot
Makes 1 sandwich
- My choice of bread was rye, due to the dark color. But, you can use any bread / cheese that you have on hand.
- Use any three round cutters that you can find around the home. If you’ve noticed, I have used a piping tip for the smallest size. So, all you need are three cutters that will be proportionate to the bread that you are using.
- Tip – Rectangular slice of bread makes a much better looking owl face than a square one.