Binging on Fuller house along with these tacos tonight:)
Skill level – Easy
Buttermilk Fried Popcorn Chicken Tacos
Buttermilk fried popcorn chicken
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 teaspoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper powder
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size chunks
2 cups all purpose flour
vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 jalapeños pepper, thinly sliced (remove seeds if you prefer less spicy)
1 medium carrot, julienned
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
6 x 5-inch corn tortillas
additional cilantro, for garnish
additional sliced jalapeños, for garnish
To make Buttermilk fried popcorn chicken,
1. Stir together buttermilk, egg, coriander powder, cayenne pepper powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and turmeric powder in a large shallow dish. Mix in chicken, cover dish and let marinade in refrigerator 2 – 8 hours (overnight is best).
2. Meanwhile, place flour in a shallow bowl, add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and scant 1/3 cup of the buttermilk marinade (spoon buttermilk from the bottom and the sides to measure 1/3 cup, It might be a little difficult, since there might not be excess marinade, but move the chicken pieces around and you will be able to fill up that cup) and mix with your fingertips, until evenly combined (it will be crumbly and look like textured dry flour, refer picture).
3. Pour oil to about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches height, in a large dutch oven, heat over medium high heat until moderately hot (about 350 degrees F).
4. Meanwhile, working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from marinade, evenly coat with flour (press lightly for flour to adhere) and place on a plate in a single layer.
5. When the oil is hot, fry chicken in 3-4 batches, until golden brown on both sides (about 5-6 minutes for each batch). DO NOT over crowd the pan (that will make the chicken not crisp as much). Drain on a paper towel lined platter.
To make Sriracha mayo,
Stir all ingredients together and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To make cabbage slaw,
Stir all ingredients together well. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
To char tortillas,
Place a tortilla directly over flame, and cook until blistered on both sides. Repeat with remaining tortillas and keep them wrapped in a kitchen towel, until ready to eat.
To serve tortillas,
Serve tacos with 2-3 popcorn chicken and some slaw, drizzled with Sriracha mayo and garnished with cilantro and sliced jalapeños, if desired.