Crispy exterior and a soft cheesy interior, these bites will make a great appetizer for all your Holiday parties.
It is December.
The season for get-togethers, pot lucks and parties.
Bite sized food are always fun. Perfect when you are holding that glass of wine in one hand.
Store-bought refrigerated tortellini, crusted and deep fried.
The usual. But, what makes these special? Blanching ’em first.
It transforms them into soft pillows with a crispy crust. YUM!!!
These are good for light lunch/dinner or kids snack any day.
Skill level – Medium
Toasted Tortellini Bites
one 10-ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
vegetable oil, for frying
marinara sauce, for serving
1. Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add tortellini and let cook until it floats on top (2-3 minutes). Drain and let cool.
2. Prepare a breading station
– Place all purpose flour in one bowl.
– Into a second bowl, beat 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon water with fork, until mixed well.
– Into a third bowl, stir breadcrumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes together, until thoroughly combined.
3. Toss each tortellini in flour, then dip in beaten egg (turn to coat on all sides) and toss with parmesan-breadcrumb mixture. Place all prepared tortellinis on a plate.
4. Pour vegetable oil into a pan up to 2-inches deep. Heat until moderately hot (about 350 degrress F) over medium heat.
5. Deep fry tortellini (in batches) for about 3 minutes, until deep golden on all sides. Place on a paper towel lined plate.
Serve hot with marinara sauce for dipping.
For make ahead option – blanch tortellini, drain, cool and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Deep fry just before serving.