This strawberry velvet cupcake is the ultimate recipe mashup of a red velvet cake and strawberry cake. Ultra soft, tender, velvety textured strawberry cupcake and tangy creamy strawberry cheese frosting, both packing flavor from real strawberries. The best strawberry cupcake ever!!!
You guys, meet the cupcake of your dreams.
Ultra soft, best strawberry cupcake that has the texture of a red velvet cupcake and is made with real strawberries. An unbelievably good strawberry cupcake recipe!!!
Aaaand, topped with a classic cream cheese frosting, again flavored with real strawberries.
No food coloring. No artificial strawberry flavoring.
I scoured the internet, reading, researching and experimenting like a mad scientist to come with a pink velvet cupcake that packs flavor from strawberries instead of a jar of food coloring.
Chocolate and roses are fine, but nothing can impress your valentine more than a homemade, incredibly delicious cupcake.
This might not be a easy strawberry cupcake recipe that you are looking for. But, this will be one of the best strawberry cupcake that you will ever have. Why? These are packed with real strawberries. One pound of strawberries are packed into 12 cupcakes—>YUM
Let’s get to the nitty gritty details of this strawberry velvet cake recipe.
- Cake flour – Cake flour is used instead of all purpose flour. Cake flour is more finer and has lesser protein which results in a meltingly tender cake.
- Buttermilk — buttermilk is an essential ingredient when it comes to light and tender baked product. It helps tenderize the gluten in the batter, giving the cupcake a melt in your mouth texture.
- Folding in beaten egg whites – the cake achieves the fluffiest texture.
- Combination of oil and butter – moist and softness from the oil along with the flavor of butter. Win-Win!
- Strawberry puree – Saved the best for last – Cooking pureed strawberries down, really concentrates the flavor and packs a punch without depending on artificial flavorings. The same strawberry puree is used in both the cake and frosting <– one pound of strawberries are packed into 12 cupcakes. So, you know it’s gonna be good.
The strawberry flavor in the cake is best when tasted along with the frosting.
How to make strawberry velvet cupcake?
Make strawberry puree up to day or two ahead – Blend one pound hulled strawberries in a food processor. Pour mixture into a non-stick sauce pan and cook on medium heat (stirring occasionally until it reduces to 1/2 cup). Transfer puree to a different bowl or container and let cool completely before using. This can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Make strawberry velvet cupcake –
- Whisk all dry ingredients together.
- Mix buttermilk, 1/4 cup strawberry puree and vinegar together.
- Beat butter and sugar and then yolk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix in half the dry -> buttermilk strawberry mixture -> remaining dry.
- Beat egg whites in a seperate bowl and gently fold into the batter.
- Divide into 12 cupcake pan, bake at 350 degrees. Cool.
Make strawberry cream cheese frosting –
- Beat cream cheese and butter together
- Beat in 1/4 cup strawberry puree, confectioners sugar, vanilla and salt
- Adjust consistency. More milk if thick and more confectioners sugar if thin.
Decorate strawberry velvet cupcake.
Eat right away or store in refrigerator (bring to room temperature before eating).
Click here for more baking recipes.
Strawberry Velvet Cupcake
This strawberry velvet cupcake is the ultimate recipe mashup of a red velvet cake and strawberry cake. Soft, tender, velvety textured cake and tangy creamy cheese frosting both packing flavor from real strawberries. The best strawberry cupcake ever!!!
Strawberry velvet cupcake
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree, refer notes
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, large, seperated room temperature
- 1 egg white, large room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablepsoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar (up to 1/2 cup more, if needed)
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree, refer notes
- fresh strawberries, to garnish
To make strawberry velvet cupcake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
Whisk together cake flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
Stir together buttermilk, 1/4 cup strawberry puree and vinegar in a another small bowl and set aside.
Add 4 tablepoons of butter and 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl, beat on high with a hand held electric beater for about 2 minutes (it will look crumbly). Add 1 yolk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Beat again on high for 1-2 minutes until creamy. Add half the flour mixture, beat on slow until just combined. Beat in strawberry-buttermilk mixture, beat until just combined and then finish with remaining flour mixture, beating until just combined (DO NOT overmix).
Wash and dry beaters.
Add 2 egg whites into another smaller bowl, beat on high until stiff peaks form.
Using a rubber spatula, fold beaten egg whites into the cake batter, until you no longer see streaks of whites.
Divide batter evenly in the prepared cupcake pan.
Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes clean.
Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
To make strawberry cream cheese frosting
Add creamcheese and butter into a large bowl, beat with a hand held electric beater for about 2 minutes, until smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup strawberry puree, beat for 1-2 minutes (start low and then build to high).
If frosting looks too thick then beat in about 2-4 teaspoons milk and beat.
If frosting looks thin then beat in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup confectioners sugar.
Frost cupcake and top with a fresh strawberry if desired
Eat right away or refrigerate (bring to room temperature before eating).
To make strawberry puree, blend one pound hulled strawberries in a food processor. Pour mixture into a non-stick sauce pan and cook on medium heat (stirring occasionally until it reduces to 1/2 cup). Trasnfer puree to a different bowl or container and let cool completely before using. This can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Recipe inspired from Cookscountry, Joyofbaking, Sallybakingaddiction
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.