Summer calls for sweet and spicy barbecued chicken avocado burgers with sweet caramelized onions, pepper jack and an additional drizzle of barbecue sauce.
Hello, summer barbecues! Hello, barbecued chicken avocado burger!!
Sweet. Spicy, Cheesy. Meaty.
Aaand with that sweet & spicy barbecue sauce, it is dang good. I slather on a heavy spoonful and it drips all over my hands when I try to take that monstrous bite….Mmmm, messy.
So, here’s the deal –
- Mix ground chicken, mashed avocado, onion, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and some barbecue sauce together. Make 4 patties, cook.
- Final 2 minutes – spread some more barbecue sauce and top off with spicy pepper jack and let it melt.
- Assembly – Bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, hot cheesy chicken avocado patty, caramelized onions, more sauce (optional, but highly recommended), close.
If you have a thing for avocado then you might also like –
Sweet & Spicy Barbecued Chicken Avocado Burgers
Chicken avocado patties
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 large ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 tablepsoons Budweiser sweet & spicy barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 tablepsoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 burger buns
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons Budweiser sweet & spicy barbecue sauce
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
Cook chicken avocado patties
- Mix all chicken avocado patties ingredients together and divide into 4 equal portions.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat with about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. (Alternatively, you could place the cast iron skillet directly on your grill grates over medium high heat and proceed as below).
- Dip your hands in a bowl of water and then shape each portion into a patty and gently place on the heated skillet (Due to the moisture from avocado and barbecue sauce, the burger mixture will be soft. So, moist hands will help in making smooth patties and not stick to your hands). Cook burgers about 5-6 minutes on each side, until completely cooked. (High heat make the burgers brown too quickly before having a chance to cook completely). During the last few minutes of cooking, top each burger patty with about 1 1/2 tablespoons Budweiser sweet and spicy barbecue sauce and a slice of pepper jack cheese and let the cheese begin to melt. Remove burgers on to a plate.
Make caremlized onions
- While the burgers are cooking, heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat with about 1 tablepsooon oil. Add the sliced onions and a pinch of salt and cook stirring ocacisonally for about 10 minutues, until are onions are caramelized and golden brown. Transfer onto a small plate.
- Top each bottom bun with some mayo, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and a chicken avocado burger patty, some caramlized onions and then an additional drizzle of Budweiser sweet & spicy barbecue sauce. Close burger and serve immediately.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.