Everyone’s favorite grilled cheese but made fun for lunch, snack, play dates or even your next get together. Grilled cheese sandwich on a stick is my new favorite way to pack lunch box.
How fun are these? And, so festive! Foods on a stick are always a huge hit with everyone.
Perfect for lunch or as an appetizer for the next party! They can also be called sandwich kebabs.
Aaaand, it is just your basic grilled cheese. Basic yet NOT BASIC!
The best part is that you can totally use your favorite grilled cheese, like –
- Sandwich bread with American cheese <— All american grilled cheese
- Sourdough bread, extra sharp cheddar, swiss, bacon, mayo, dijon mustard <— Ina’s ultimate
- Ham and cheddar <— Another classic
- Sourdough bread with cheddar and gruyere <– simply delicious
- Apple slices and shard cheddar <— best combo
- Hot dog buns, sausage, Monterey jack and cheddar <— Grilled cheese dogs
- Turkey, cranberry and brie <— Cranberry turkey grilled cheese
- Pepperoni, mozzarella and tomato sauce <— Pepperoni pizza
- Chicken cutlets, tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan <– chicken parm
- Focaccia bread, pesto, tomato, Monterey jack and mozzarella <— Panini
- Sausage, caramelized onions, bbq sauce, cheddar <— Hot dog grilled cheese
Or use any of your family favorites!
I fell in love with the idea of cooking grilled cheese in a waffle iron several years ago and haven’t gone back to a skillet ever since.
The grilled cheese holds up well for travel, especially when packing in school lunch box and it looks more fancy.
Like this Potato pesto grilled cheese <— YES, potato makes a yummy sandwich filling.
Another advantage in cooking in a waffle iron? Using the the ridges as a guide to cut perfect squares.
Don’t have a waffle iron? Make it in a skillet instead.
How to make make this grilled cheese sandwich on a stick?
- Spread basil pesto (Hint : pesto freezes extremely well. I buy a jar a Costco, divide into small freezer bags, and freeze. Thawing only bag works well to make few sandwiches) on a slice of bread ( whole wheat, wheat, buttermilk… use whatever you have on hand)
- Julienned Sun dried tomatoes <—optional
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Close sandwich and cook in a waffle iron.
Pro tip to not make soggy grilled cheese when packing in a lunch box – Place cooked sandwiches on a wire rack to cool until warm / room temperature (this helps to cool the bottom part of the sandwiches and hence maintain the crispness).
Click here for more Lunch Box Recipes
Grilled Cheese Sandwich On A Stick
Grilled Cheese sandwiches
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, or any other kind
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
Grilled cheese sandwich on a stick
- 8 medium skewers
- cherry tomatoes
- baby spinach leaves
Make grilled cheese sandwiches
- Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacture's instructions.
- Working with 2 slices of bread, spread butter on the outer sides. One one inner side, spread some basil pesto, sprinkle sun dried tomatoes (how much ever you like) and about 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella. Top with the other bread slice with buttered side outside.
- Place sandwich on the waffle iron, close and cook for a 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Repeat process with remaining 3 sandwiches.
To make grilled cheese sandwich on a stick
- Cut each sandwich into 6 squares. Skewer 3 sandwich squares alternating with baby spinach and finish with cherry tomato.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.