Soft, spongy and fluffy inside with a crisp crunchy exterior, this homemade churros recipe is one of the best churros that you will ever eat!!!! Churros are much easier to be made at home and are addictive coated in cinnamon sugar or served with a Nutella ganache for dipping.
So this is FALL.
All things Hot. Deep fried. Coated in cinnamon sugar.
Hot deep fried churros tossed in a generous coating of cinnamon sugar and then drizzled with a chocolate Nutella ganache.
The BEST CHURROS that you will sink your teeth into <—- Soft, spongy and fluffy inside with crisp and crunchy exterior.
What makes these homemade churros recipe really good?
- Crispy, crunchy
- Soft, spongy, fluffy inside
- Easy recipe
- Great for holiday parties
- Rainy day snack
- Drizzled with a decadent Nutella ganache
If you love churros, then you should check out the Churro Waffles with Tres Leches Sauce
Let us look at the team players in this homemade churros recipe:
Just basic pantry ingredients. Nothing fancy!
How to make churros?
Step-1: Make dough – Bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Stir in flour immediately to form a lump. Dump into a bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
Step-2: Beat in eggs and vanilla extract, until forms a smooth dough.
Step-3: Let dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
Step-4: Transfer dough into a piping bag fitted with large star tip.
Step-6: Squeeze directly over hot oil, snipping off end with scissors ( you may choose any length that you desire).
Step-7: Cook in moderately hot oil for about 5 minutes, until deep golden brown.
Step-8 : Drain on a paper towel and toss in cinnamon sugar when warm.
Tips and tricks in making the best homemade churros:
Deep golden brown color – This ensures that churros are perfectly crispy and crunchy on the outside and stays that way for several hours. If the churros are lighter in color, then they will be crisp when hot but gets softer as time goes by.
Oil temperature – The ideal temperature is moderately hot (350 to 375 degrees F).
If too hot —-> The churros will brown faster before it cooks completely inside.
If too cold —–> The churros will take much longer to cook and will also absorb more oil.
Coat with cinnamon sugar only when warm –
If tossed when hot —–> Sugar coating becomes much thicker than needed
If tossed when cold ——> Sugar does not stick well
Add flour as soon as the water comes to a boil – If the liquid boils for longer time, then the moisture will evaporate altering the liquid to flour ratio.
How to serve homemade churros?
Churros are fabulous warm tossed in cinnamon sugar.
Or you can go a step further and drizzle them with a delicious Nutella ganache.
I choose to go with shorter churros, since these are great for parties or get togethers. But, you could choose to go the traditional route and make longer ones for a more authentic Mexican churros recipe.
Now, let us look at the steps in making a Nutella ganache:
Step-1: Heat cream and sugar together, until it begins to boil.
Step-2: Pour over semi sweet chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth.
Step-3: Stir in Nutella, vanilla extract and salt.
The ganache thickens as it cools. If the ganache thickens more to your liking then heat in the microwave for just a few seconds.
More decadent recipes with Nutella:
4 Ingredient, Fudgy Nutella Brownie Mug Cake – Ready in 90 seconds! Incredibly simple and easy single serve, 4 ingredient, fudgy Nutella brownie mug cake – perfect for Valentines day, weeknight dessert, after school treat with milk or just about anytime!
Gluten Free Nutella Brownie Muffins – Moist, fudgy, oh-so-decandent, 4-ingredient Gluten free Nutella Brownie Muffins !!! The simplest of recipes and is an absolute family favorite.
Nutella Stuffed Dates – A bit of healthy and a bit of indulgence, yes please! These Nutella stuffed dates are sweet, chewy, chocolatey with a bit of crunch.
4 Ingredient, Gluten Free, Fudgy Nutella Brownies – Best fudgy Nutella brownies ever!!! Chewy, fudgy, rich and moist these brownies are every chocolate lover’s dream.
Homemade Churros Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Add first 4 ingredients ( water, butter, sugar and salt) into a medium sauce pan, stirring occasionally over medium heat. Add flour as soon as the water comes to boil and stir until it gathers together (it will be almost instantly). Dump the dough into a bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add both eggs and vanilla extract and beat with a hand held electric beater (in medium speed) until it becomes a soft dough. Let dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
- In the mean time, have a large pastry bag fit with a large star-shaped tip ready. Pour vegetable oil into a medium skillet, until it comes to about 1-inch in height. Place over medium high heat, until it gets moderately hot (350 to 375 degrees F).
- Transfer dough (it would thicken slightly during the resting time) into the pastry bag. Working in batches, pipe dough directly into the hot oil using scissors to trim to the desired length. (I preferred to go with shorter churros, since these are great for parties or get togethers. But, you could choose to go the traditional route and make longer ones for a more authentic Mexican churros recipe)
- Cook (stirring occasionally) until deep golden brown on all sides (about 5 mins per batch). Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Toss into cinnamon sugar after 1-2 minutes and place on a serving plate. Repeat process.
- Stir together sugar and ground cinnamon in a shallow dish.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium heat proof bowl and set aside.
- Add heavy cream and sugar into a small medium saucepan and bring to a boil over low-medium heat. Pour boiling cream over the chocolate chips and stir until completely melted and smooth. Stir in Nutella, vanilla extract and salt.
- Nutella ganache will thicken as it cools. The ganache (when hot) is the perfect consistency for dipping and when cooled a bit is the right consistency to be drizzled.
- For snack - Serve churros plain with the cinnamon sugar coating. For dessert - Serve churros with Nutella ganache on the side for dipping or place churros on a serving platter and drizzle Nutella ganache all over
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.