These Strawberry and Cream Bites are super easy, fun and delicious little no-bake treats for summer days – Both adults and kids enjoy these fresh halved strawberries topped with greek yogurt cream filling!
We love dessert recipes using fruits. They are naturally sweet, delicious and perfect served in season. Some of our favorites include – Mango Crisp, Apple Crisp, Microwave Apple Cake or Almond Flour lemon Cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Strawberry and Cream Bites
Adorable little bite sized treats that is always the first thing to vanish at any party or get-together! These are healthier, cute, fun, no bake, no cook, super easy and amazingly delicious with sweet ripe fresh spring or summer strawberries. Despite the minimal amount of work involved, this is by far one of the most satisfying and delicious desserts I’ve ever made.
This light and refreshing treat is perfect in the warm summer months when berries are extra sweet. It’s also a great option when you need to satisfy that after dinner sweet tooth. Don’t let the simplicity fool you!
Tried and Tested
This has been on of my favorites to make and serve at most parties in summer. These are perfect for kids play dates, barbecues, picnics, parties, get togethers or just a snack for family treat. This is a slightly modified version of this recipe from Joyofbaking.com that I have been making for more than a decade. Kids love them and it is usually the first ones to be polished off!
What are strawberries and Cream?
Fresas con crema (or Strawberries and cream) is a cold no bake dessert made using freshly sliced strawberries mixed with a sweet sauce made with cream, Mexican crema and sweetened condensed milk (known as La Lechera in Mexico). It is sometimes topped with whipped cream for a quick and easy cold treat in hot summer days. It is served in a cup and enjoyed with a spoon.
Despite having its origins in England, fresas con crema became very popular in Mexico, specially in the States of Guanajuato and Michoacán where strawberries grow in abundance.
How to select strawberries?
- Look for bright red color – The brighter the color, the sweeter the fruit. If you see any whiteness around the stem, then the fruits are not picked at peak ripeness. Look for deep red with minimal discoloration.
- Avoid small fruits – Al though smaller berries tend to be juicier and hold much more concentrated flavor than larger ones, larger or medium size is perfect for this stuffed treat – They hold more topping, perfect to serve and easier to eat.
- Look for plump fruits – You don’t want mushy berries! Check the bottom of the container for any wetness or if the paper is stained before purchasing, which indicates that some of them might be over ripe.
- Choose bright green stems – This is probably one of the easiest way to identify the fruits freshness! Bright, green leaves with stem ends having a lively green color. Drying caps indicate that the fruits lost its optimal freshness.
- Avoid round fruits – Select fruits with flatter sides, so they won’t wobble around too much after assembled.
- Buy in season – Out-of-season berries are usually shipped from thousands of miles away and are picked before its peak ripeness in order for them to endure that journey. Whereas in-season, local fruits will taste sweeter and juicier!
Can I make without a piping bag?
Sure can! Top whipped cream on top of fruits using two small spoons. It might not look pretty but will still be delicious.
How can I make ahead?
These are best served right away due to the nature of strawberries. However, if you wish to prep ahead for a dinner party then here are few tips to follow –
- Whipped yogurt cream can be made ahead and refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
- Assembled treats can be stored in the refrigerate for about 4 hours ahead. Serve cold!
My favorite part of this recipe is that it uses basic pantry / refrigerated ingredients like fresh strawberries, heavy whipping cream, greek yogurt, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Nothing fancy here!
Pro Tips for success
Use firm, sweet, ripe berries and not mushy ones.
Go for flatter sided fruits instead of rounded guys so they can sit straight on a platter without much wobbling around.
Use regular white granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar.
- Use sour cream, mascarpone cheese or cream cheese instead of greek yogurt in the recipe.
- Use all heavy cream instead of greek yogurt.
- Switch up plain yogurt for flavored ones like vanilla (skip vanilla extract in the recipe).
- Fold coarsely grated dark chocolate along with the whipped yogurt before piping.
- Use sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar for a real Mexican dessert experience.
How to make?
Prep strawberries – Wash, pat dry berries and cut them into halves along the stem end to get two halves.
Beat greek yogurt cream – Beat together greek yogurt, heavy cream, confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt, using a hand held electric beater until stiff peaks form. Transfer whipped mixture into a large piping bag with a star tip.
Assemble – Pipe swirls on top of the cut fruits (use as much or as little as you’d like) and serve immediately.
How to store?
Assembled bites are best served immediately or stored in the fridge for a few hours. Any longer than that, moisture begins to release from the fruit which also tends to water the whipped topping.
Frequently asked questions
No! These are best served with fresh fruits and frozen ones gets mushy when thawed.
These are perfect for healthier dessert with built in portion control since each bite contains only 30 calories.
More easy no-bake treats to try-
- Chocolate Nest Treats
- Chocolate Truffles
- Date Balls <— only 4 ingredients
- Almond Flour Cookie Dough
- Healthy Brownie Bites
- Avocado truffles
- 12 medium strawberries
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 to 5 tablespoons confectioners sugar (depending on the sweetness of strawberries)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Choose sweet ripe strawberries for the recipe. Wash, pat dry and cut in half along the stem to get two halves.
- Add all remaining ingredients into a large bowl and beat on high with a hand held electric beater until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the cream into a pastry bang fitted with large star tip ( Wilton 8B or 1M tip). Pipe swirls on top of each strawberry half.
- Serve right away or refrigerate for couple of hours before serving.
Strawberry - Select flatter sided fruits instead of rounded guys so they can sit straight on a platter without much wobbling around.
Sugar - Use regular white granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar.
Yogurt - Use mascarpone cheese, cream cheese or sour cream instead on greek yogurt.
How to make without a piping bag? Top whipped cream on top of fruits using two small spoons. It might not look as pretty but will still be delicious.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 30Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. The information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com, although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health and ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.