Tuscan Shrimp and Spinach Soup
The best shrimp soup to cozy up this winter! It is amazingly comforting, quick and everyone will beg for seconds.
Prep Time6 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time16 mins
- 2 tablepsoons olive oil
- 20-24 medium shrimp (about 1/2 pound) peeled, deveined and patted dry
- 2 tablepsoons butter salted or unsalted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk refer notes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 handfuls baby spinach chopped or left whole
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt refer notes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
Add olive oil into a medium pan and place over high heat. When hot, place shrimp in a single layer, cook for one minute (without disturbing), turn them over and cook for an additional 30 seconds or cooked. Transfer shrimp to a plate and return pan back to heat, Reduce heat to medium.
Add butter. Once melts, add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes until translucent. Stir in flour and saute for about 30 seconds, until raw smell of flour is gone.
Add remaining ingredients (one can stock, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 cup parmesan, 2 handfuls spinach, salt and pepper). Increase heat to high, let it come to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Take off heat, stir in shrimp along with any accumulated juices.
Serve best shrimp soup hot with a crusty bread, if desired.
Salt depends on the stock that you are using and your taste preference. So, use 1/2 teaspoon and add more at the end, if desired.
A total of 3/4 cup heavy cream may be used leaving out milk.