Chickpea Taco Lettuce wraps
Hearty, Healthy, filling, vegetarian chickpea taco lettuce wraps are great for lunch, dinner and lunch box. Delicious as salad too.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, coriander powder and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin powder, dried oregano and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder, or more if you like it spicy
- 6 to 8 lettuce leaves ( Iceberg, Romaine or Iceberg)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa, store bought or homemade
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup cooked corn
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapenos, as required
Make Taco Chickpeas
Heat vegetable oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Saute onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, until onions are translucent.
Add chickpeas and spice mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes, until spices are toasted well.
Take off heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Assemble Chickpea Taco Lettuce Wraps
Spoon few tablespoons of the taco chickpeas into each lettuce cups and top with some avocado, salsa, cheddar, corn, sour cream, cilantro and jalapeños slices (as much as you'd like).
Chickpeas can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 4 days. Reheat to warm before making lettuce wraps.
Chickpea recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
More Spicy – Add some chopped jalapeños along with onion and garlic when making the chickpeas and increase the cayenne pepper. Also, use a spicy salsa.
Less Spicy – Skip the cayenne and use a mild salsa.
Use as much or as little corn / avocado / cheese / sour cream / salsa / jalapeños