Vegetarian version of the classic buttermilk fried chicken. Crispy, crunchy, spicy cauliflower florets that are delicious as a snack or appetizer or side dish.
When life gives you cauliflower…
you deep fry ’em.
Dunk florets in a buttermilk marinade with spices (six to be precise)….
Plaster with some textured-flour…
Let ’em crisp-up in hot oil…
Eat them hot… (don’t burn your tongue)
Skill level – Advanced
Crispy & Crunchy Buttermilk Fried Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower (medium size), cut into about 1 1/2 – inch florets
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder (I suggest using 1 teaspoon)
1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup all purpose flour
vegetable or corn oil, for frying
1. Into a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, coriander powder, cayenne pepper powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric powder and onion powder, until combined. Add cauliflower florets, stir well to coat thoroughly (let every nook and cranny get coated), set aside for about 15 minutes (make it right away, if pressed for time).
2. Into a large dutch oven or a large saucepan, pour vegetable or corn oil until about 1-inch height, heat over high heat until hot (about 350 degrees in a deep fry thermometer).
3. While the oil is heating, place all purpose flour in a shallow bowl, add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons of the prepared buttermilk marinade (try to scoop from the bottom of the bowl). Mix with your fingertips, until thoroughly combined (this creates texture in the flour and guaranteed crispiness).
4. Working with one floret at a time – remove from the buttermilk marinade, coat with flour (pressing on all sides for flour to adhere well) and place on a plate in a single layer.
5. Deep fry in three batches, until deep golden on all sides ( about 6 minutes per batch). Drain on a paper towel lined platter.
6. Serve hot for appetizer / snack / side dish with ketchup / ranch.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.