The most popopular cookie just got a holiday makeover!!!
Good bye Thanksgiving. HELLLLO Holidays.
We've arrived in this very happy season.
The decorations, ugly sweaters, parties, presents, carols, Santa, eggnog, snow and COOKIES.
Well, I decided to dress it up!
'Tis the holidays after all.
Deep, rich, dark chocolate shortbread cookie. Glazed with melted dark chocolate. Showered with peppermint candy.
15 Last Minute Christmas Baking Recipes <---- Cookies, candy, healthy treats and even no bake recipes!
Skill level - Intermediate
Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup dutch process cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ teaspoon vegetable oil
about 8 hard peppermint candies, crushed
1. Into a large bowl, add butter, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract. Beat with a hand held electric beater on high speed (start slow and increase to high), for 1 minute. Add flour, cocoa powder and salt. Continue to beat (start on low speed and increase to high), until the dough comes just together.
2. Shape dough into a smooth, flat disc, place on a piece of parchment paper and place another piece of parchment on top. Roll with a rolling pin to slightly less than ¼-inch thickness. Place the dough (along with parchment papers) on a baking sheet and place in refrigerator for at least 5 hours (or up to 1 day).
3. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
4. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator, remove top parchment, and cut into 2-inch squares using a fluted cookie cutter or pastry cutter or knife. Gently transfer dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet, spacing about an inch apart. (If your kitchen is warm or cookie dough feels a little soft, then place the baking sheet back in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes).
5. Place baking sheet in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Place chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a small microwavable bowl, microwave on high for 1 ½ -2 minutes (stirring every 20 seconds), until chocolate is melted completely.
8. Using a spoon, spread a thin coating of melted chocolate on half the cookie (scrape off excess from the sides), sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top and place cookie back on the parchment paper. Repeat with remaining cookies.
9. Let cookies stand until chocolate is set.
Makes 20 cookies
Store cookies in an airtight container for several days.