Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe are festive, made with 4 ingredients and makes a great homemade holiday gift idea for Christmas.
Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe
Christmas week is in full swing with delicious cookies, cakes, homemade candy, Peanut Butter Balls Recipe, Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge, Candied nuts or Truffles.
But, sometimes you need a quick and easy treat that uses only a hand full of ingredients, requires almost no effort, make ahead and impressive to share with family and friends.
I make countless batches every Christmas season like these candied almonds. My favorite part is that these more uniform to be packed into gifts, when compared to the traditional way of making bark.
There is no breaking into pieces! We love the idea of making these in muffin tins instead of the traditional recipe, as it is uniform and perfect for gift giving during the Holidays.
What is Peppermint Bark?
It is a chocolate candy made of crushed canes sprinkled on top of white chocolate, which is layered on top of dark chocolate. It is especially popular during Christmas season.
This treat dates back to 1960s when it was sold in a Florida shop. However, Williams Sonoma made it popular in 1998 and then companies like Ghiradelli and Mrs. Fields also began selling them.
What kind of chocolate to use?
Since this recipe uses only 4 ingredients, it is important to use the highest quality chocolate you can find (my favorite is Ghiradelli). Look for white chocolate that contains real cocoa butter and not just palm oil.
- Chocolate Chips - Semi sweet and White chocolate chips.
- Flavoring - Peppermint extract
- Candy canes
- Use crushed candy canes or crushed peppermint candies.
- How to crush? I find that the easiest way to crush candy canes is to place it in zip lock bag, then use a rolling pin or a meat mallet to crush.
- Use as much candy canes as you like.
- No microwave? Melt using a double boiler on the stove.
- Let the dark chocolate layer set before adding the peppermint white chocolate layer to keep the colors from combining.
- Can I omit peppermint extract? Absolutely! You can omit it or use peppermint oil ---> Your bark won’t be quite as minty tasting.
- Milk chocolate - Use milk chocolate chips instead of semi sweet.
- M&M - Add chopped M&Ms along with candy canes.
- Snow - Use all white chocolate instead of dark.
- Salted caramel - Skip the peppermint extract and candy canes entirely and instead drizzle with salted caramel sauce on top of white chocolate. Then use a wooden skewer to make a swirl pattern.
- S'mores - Leave out the peppermint extract and top with crushed graham crackers to make a s’mores bark!
- Triple layer - Add another batch of melted semi sweet chocolate on top of white chocolate and then top with crushed candy canes.
How To Make?
- Dark chocolate layer - Melt dark chocolate chips in microwave, until completely melted and smooth. Pour into paper lined muffin cups. Let set in refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- White chocolate layer - Melt white chocolate chips in microwave, until completely melted and smooth. Stir in peppermint extract and pour on top of set dark chocolate. Top with crushed canes and set in refrigerator until hardened.
How To Store?
Store for up to 2 weeks at room temperature or up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Can it be Frozen?
We wouldn’t recommend freezing, because when it thaws the candy pieces will become sticky.
How to package for gift giving?
Peel off the paper liners and place 3 to 6 cups in a clear cellophane bags, tie with a pretty ribbon and share with your loved ones.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It lasts for up to 2 weeks at room temperature and up to 3 weeks when refrigerated.
More Homemade Gift Ideas for Christmas
Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces white chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 4 candy canes crushed
- Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- Add semi sweet chocolate chips into a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave for 60 to 90 seconds (stirring every 20 seconds), until completely melted and smooth.
- Evenly divide melted chocolate into the prepared muffin pan, give the pan a few taps on the counter to help chocolate settle evenly. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- To crush candy canes - Peel wrapper of candy canes, place them in a zip lock bag and crush using rolling pin or a meat mallet (do no make them into a fine powder).
- Add white chocolate chips into a another medium microwave safe bowl and microwave for 60 to 90 seconds (stirring every 20 seconds), until completely melted and smooth. Stir in peppermint extract.
- Evenly divide melted white chocolate on top of the dark chocolate, give the pan a few taps on the counter to help white chocolate settle evenly. Top with crushed candy cane.
- Place pan in the refrigerator to harden.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Leave a Reply