Crispy exterior and a soft cheesy interior, these toasted tortellini bites will make a great appetizer for all your Holiday parties.
It is December.
The season for get-togethers, pot lucks and parties.
Bite sized food are always fun. Perfect when you are holding that glass of wine in one hand.
Store-bought refrigerated tortellini, crusted and deep fried.
The usual. But, what makes these special? Blanching 'em first.
It transforms them into soft pillows with a crispy crust. YUM!!!
These are good for light lunch/dinner or kids snack any day.
Toasted Tortellini Bites
- 1 10 ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, large
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- vegetable oil, for frying
- marinara sauce, for serving
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add tortellini and let cook until it floats on top (2-3 minutes). Drain and let cool.
- Prepare a breading station– Place all purpose flour in one bowl.– Into a second bowl, beat 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon water with fork, until mixed well.– Into a third bowl, stir breadcrumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes together, until thoroughly combined.
- Toss each tortellini in flour, then dip in beaten egg (turn to coat on all sides) and toss with parmesan-breadcrumb mixture. Place all prepared tortellinis on a plate.
- Pour vegetable oil into a pan up to 2-inches deep. Heat until moderately hot (about 350 degrress F) over medium heat.
- Deep fry tortellini (in batches) for about 3 minutes, until deep golden on all sides. Place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve hot with marinara sauce for dipping.
For make ahead option – blanch tortellini, drain, cool and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Deep fry just before serving.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
I love these little bites of heaven! Totally perfect for a snack or holiday party appetizer...as long as I don’t eat them all before the guests arrive hehehe 🙂
I totally get ya!! I finished almost half of it before even it got to the table:) Thanks Kelly.
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen
SOOOO GOOD, Maria! They look amazing!
Thank you Kelsie:)
So yummmyyy!! Crispy heavenly bites!! These sound like the perfect snacks for get-togethers! I wouldn't mind eating that plate alone though!!
Thank you dear:)