Fun, handheld, portable baked spaghetti and meatball cups made with your leftovers!! Perfect for school lunch box, get-togethers, parties and even dinner.
I’m all about fun lunch boxes!! Well, I try:)
Don’t these baked spaghetti and meatball cups look so fun and EASY to eat at school rather than trying to twirl the leftover spaghetti?
These have been a favorite around here for a long time.
Not a brand-new-break-the-internet idea. Just a family favorite!
Why are these spaghetti nests gonna be your family’s favorite too?
- Hand held
- Carbs, protien, veggies (yes, those chicken meatballs have cauliflower and carrots in them) and cheese <— all in one
- Great for meal prep
- School lunch box winner
Main Components needed for baked spaghetti and meatball cups –
- Cooked spaghetti
- Jarred marinara sauce
- Cooked and cooled meatballs (smaller meatballs work better). I used these Healthyish Baked Chicken meatballs
- Cheese – mozzarella and parmesan
How to make these spaghetti and meatball cups?
- Use cooked and cooled spaghetti – Cook spaghetti in salted, boiling water until al dente. Drain and immediately rinse with cold water (this will prevent it from sticking to each other). Let cool to room temperature or can be stored in the refrigerator.
- Toss spaghetti with egg, marinara sauce and cheese.
- Snuggle them into muffin cups with indentation in the middle for a meatball.
- Place a meatball in the middle
- Spoon some sauce over it
- Sprinkle some (actually a LOT) of cheese on top.
- Eat or pack.
How to eat these spaghetti cups?
Eat them hot/warm with a side salad and garlic bread for dinner
Meal prep for the week. Make a batch over the weekend and store in the refrigerator <– pack into lunch boxes or at-home-lunch or snack for the kids. Warm in the microwave just before eating.
More fun lunch boxes –
You will also love this Leftover Pasta Pizza made with leftover pasta.
Baked Spaghetti and Meatball Cups
- 6 ounces spaghetti, cooked and cooled
- 1 egg, whisked to combine
- 2 and 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 to 2 cups jarred marinara sauce, I used Prego, divided
- 12 cooked meatballs, I used these Healthyish Baked Chicken Meatballs
- chopped fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Liberally spray a 12-cup standard muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Toss cooked and cooled spaghetti (cold spaghetti from refrigerator works well too) with beaten egg, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/4 to 1/2 cup marinara sauce ( I used 1/4 cup, since my kids are not huge fans of tomato sauce) together in a large bowl. Portion into the muffin pan, packing each cup like a nest with some space in the middle to place meatball (refer pictures).
- Place a cooked meatball into each cup and spoon about 1-2 tablepsoons marinara sauce on top of each meatball.
- Liberally sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan on top of each spaghetti and meatball cup.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and top begins to get golden.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool slightly before removing the cups. Run a butter knife around the edges to gently loosen and then remove each cup.
- Serve hot or warm or pack into lunch boxes.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.