The best creamy tomato soup in instant pot!! It is thick, creamy, rich in flavor and comes together in under 30 minutes. This instant pot tomato soup is one of the best tasting soups that you will enjoy this season.
THE BEST CREAMY TOMATO SOUP!
I know, that is a bold statement. But, this is honestly one of the tastiest soups that you will ever enjoy this winter.
Tomato soup haters. Picky kids. Not-a-soup-lover <—– Everyone LOVES this instant pot cream of tomato soup. This is not your basic tomato soup recipe.
It is rich, thick, slightly sweet, tart with a hint of heat.
More delicious soup recipes:
This soup is so thick and creamy it might as well be titled Tomato Bisque. Bisque is a french term used for cream based thick soups. Since the tomatoes, onion and garlic are pureed along with heavy cream, this creamy tomato soup with canned tomatoes qualifies to be the BEST TOMATO BISQUE RECIPE.
What makes this instant pot tomato soup so special?
- Made in instant pot
- Easy clean up
- Made in under 30 minutes
- Uses canned tomatoes
I know nothing beats a hot bowl of tomato soup and grilled cheese. But, this instant pot creamy tomato soup is so rich, a good crusty toasted bread makes a fabulous accompaniment.
Ingredients for creamy tomato soup with canned tomatoes:
Butter and olive oil – Anything that begins with butter is gotta be good, right? I used unsalted butter. If you are using salted butter, then make sure that the salt is reduced.
Onion and garlic – I used red onions, since they add a touch of additional sweetness when cooked. But, whatever kind you have on hand works.
Canned tomatoes – This is so handy since this instant pot cream of tomato soup can be enjoyed all year long, especially in the cold weather when tomatoes are not at the peak of freshness. I used a 28 ounce can of whole peeled plum tomatoes.
Chicken stock – I used 33% chicken stock. So, if you are using regular sodium or no sodium, please remember to adjust the salt accordingly.
Seasonings- Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes <—-The basics.
Cream – Please do not use milk instead. It is just not the same.
Honey – “The secret ingredient” in this pressure cooker tomato soup. And, if you notice, we have added a whopping 2 tablespoons, which seems to be too much for a savory recipe. But, that is what makes a regular creamy tomato soup with canned tomatoes into the best creamy tomato soup ever made in a instant pot.
How to make Instant Pot Tomato Soup?
Step-1: Saute chopped onion, garlic in butter and olive oil
Step-2: Stir in crushed canned tomatoes, chicken stock and seasonings. Cook in manual for 8 minutes and then in warm mode for 5 minutes
Step-3: Using immersion blender, puree mixture until smooth (if you do not own one, puree everything in a blender and transfer back into the instant pot.
Step-4: Bring to a boil again and continue cooking for 5-8 minutes, to thicken
Step-5: Stir in heavy cream, honey and chopped basil. Cook for another minute.
Done and DONE.
How to make the best creamy tomato soup on the stove top?
Step-1: Heat butter and olive oil in a largish saucepan. Saute chopped onions and garlic, until it begins to translucent.
Step-2: Stir in all group-1 ingredients (crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, 1/2 cup water, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning. Cover and simmer in med-low heat for about 25 to 30 minutes (stirring occasionally).
Step-3: Take off heat and blend with an immersion blender (or cool until warm and then puree in a regular blender and then transfer back into the sauce pan).
Step-4: Stir in cream and honey and let simmer for a few minutes in low heat, until it has reached the desired consistency (the soup will thicken as it cools). Finish with a few torn basil leaves.
Serve with a toasted crusty bread slices.
If you are looking for an easy instant pot tomato soup recipe for the weeknight or an elegant cream of tomato soup to impress your guests, this pressure cooker tomato soup is a WINNER.
How do you finish the best tomato soup in instant pot?
All the garnishes are optional!
- A swirl of cream
- Sprinkling of red pepper flakes
- Chopped or whole basil leaves
- Toasted bread croutons
Instant pot recipes <—- A huge collection of family favorite dinner recipes.
Best Creamy Tomato Soup in Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- fresh basil leaves, torn (to finish)
- additional cream
- red pepper flakes
- fresh basil leaves
- toasted crusty bread croutons
- Set instant pot to saute setting. When hot, add butter, olive oil and then chopped onion along with garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes, until it begins to get translucent.
- Press cancel and then stir in all group-1 ingredients. Close and lock lid (making sure that valve is set to sealing). Select manual setting (or pressure cooker) for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, let Instant pot be in the warm mode for 5 minutes. Turn valve to venting to release pressure. Open lid, blend all ingredients using an immersion blender, until smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer all ingredients into a regular blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into the instant pot.)
- Set instant pot to saute setting and let the soup come to a boil. Let boil for 7 to 8 minutes and then stir in heavy cream and honey from group-3 ingredients. Cook for one more minute and press cancel. Finish with freshly torn basil leaves.
- Let tomato soup rest for few minutes before serving (the soup will thicken as it cools).
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Garnish if desired and serve with a slice of toasted crusty bread.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the origial recipe.