This Spicy Chicken Pasta Recipe is anything but bland! Toss your favorite noodles in a luscious creamy tomato sauce that is loaded with flavor - A restaurant quality meal ready in about 30 minutes.
Spicy Chicken Pasta
A delicious combination of creamy tomato sauce tossed with chicken and bow tie. It is ready in under 30 minutes, chockfull of flavor, cozy, comforting and restaurant quality but made with jarred tomato sauce for an easy weeknight meal - The Best tasting!
This recipe is packed with so much flavor from fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, paprika and black pepper. Theres something about creamy tomato sauces that I can't resist!
Any pasta lovers out there? It is mostly easy, filling, comforting and family friendly. The inspiration for this dish is drawn from spicy Italian sausage and made into a creamy, comforting recipe. My favorite part is that it can be made with no cream, making it a healthier recipe for the whole family to enjoy!
Why you'll love this recipe?
- Perfect weeknight or date night - It is made with everyday ingredients along with any noodles that you have in your pantry. Complex enough for date nights.
- Flavorsome - It is a relatively simple dish made with pantry staples yet packed with so much flavor. Imagine a spicy Italian sausage bow tie without the sausage.
- Uses jarred sauce – One of my favorite shortcuts for a quick dinner.
- Delicious creamy tomato sauce - The combination of tomato with cream sauce is one of the best sauce for any noodle. The flavorful blend of spices along with that make it irresistible.
- Kid friendly - This dish is made made with no wine, making it perfect for kids to enjoy!
WHAT KIND OF PASTA TO USE?
We used bow tie, however it is delicious paired with any other shape like penne, linguini, fettuccini, angel hair, spaghetti, rigatoni, fusilli or ziti.
WHAT KIND OF SPICES?
The combination is not fiery but has a nice kick that is nothing but bland. We use a blend of paprika, crushed fennel seeds, black pepper and red pepper flakes. You can always dial down the heat if you'd like with the red pepper flakes.
- Chicken - Diced boneless skinless thighs or breasts.
- Pasta - Bow tie or your favorite noodles.
- Spices - Paprika, black pepper, red pepper flakes and fennel.
- Parmesan - Grated parmesan to finish.
- Marinara sauce - I used Prego (tomato, basil & garlic).
- Heavy cream - It not only adds richness, but also helps to balance the spice. Replace with canned coconut milk for a healthier twist.
- Pantry ingredients - Onion, garlic, olive oil and salt
Pro Tips for Success
- Chicken thighs : Thigh meat cooks up tender and juicy, however boneless, skinless breasts can used.
- Don't overcook the chicken - Although it is impossible not to overcook thighs, yet they are truly succulent and not chewy, if cooked just right.
- Pasta – I used bow tie, but any cooked noodle may be used.
- Marinara sauce – Use your favorite brand. We have always loved Prego, tomato basil and garlic (this is not a sponsored post).
- Make it healthy - Use canned coconut milk instead of heavy cream. You will be able to hardly notice the difference.
- Fennel seeds - Lightly crush the fennel seeds (with a meat mallet / back of a pan / mortar and pestle.
- Spiciness - If you are new to spicy food, then we recommend reducing red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Broccoli – Add broccoli florets during last couple of minutes of pasta cooking.
- Spinach - Stir in baby spinach.
- Mushrooms - Skip chicken and use thick sliced mushrooms instead to make it vegetarian.
- Lighter - Use half and half or canned coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
How to make?
- Cook bow ties - Cook bow ties or your favorite noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente and drain.
- Cook chicken - Cook chopped boneless, skinless meat in a dash of olive oil, until golden on both sides and transfer to a bowl.
- Saute aromatics - Saute chopped onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds, until translucent. Stir in marinara sauce, heavy cream, water, ground pepper, paprika, salt and cooked meat, Simmer until thickened and cooked.
- Finish - Stir in cooked noodles, freshly grated parmesan and fresh basil.
What to serve along with this dish?
A good Garlic bread is always the best option! Other delicious pairings to make it a complete meal -
How to store leftovers ?
Leftovers can refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 4 days. Reheat in microwave with a splash of water, until heated through. Garnish with grated parmesan and fresh basil.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Classic Italian spices like fennel, paprika, red pepper flakes and black pepper add some heat and deliciousness.
Pink Sauce! It is a creamy combination of white alfredo and red sauce, giving a pink color.
More chicken pasta recipes to try -
Spicy Chicken Pasta
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (chopped into bite size pieces)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt or to taste divided
- ¼ to ½ cup parmesan
- Chopped fresh basil
- ½ pound bow tie pasta cooked according to package instructions
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add chicken and a dash of salt, spread into a single layer, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, turn over and cook for additional 2 minutes. Remove chicken onto to a plate (chicken will not be fully cooked).
- Reduce heat to low-medium, add more olive oil and all group-1 ingredients and a dash of salt. Cook stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until onion begins to get translucent.
- Increase heat to medium, stir in all group-2 ingredients, salt and cooked chicken (along with any accumulated juices). Cook for 7-9 minutes, until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened (stirring occasionally).
- Toss in cooked pasta, grated parmesan and fresh basil.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.