These Air Fryer Chickpeas are spicy, salty, tangy and have a super crispy texture when compared to oven roasting. Ready in under 15 minutes, these make an addictive healthy snack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Air Fryer Chickpeas
Looking for a Quick and Easy homemade snack when you are craving something salty and spicy, but without any guilt? These garbanzo beans are perfect for you! Warm spices paired with fresh lime makes them irresistible.
They are packed with protein and fiber. Roasted chickpeas have always been one of our favorite snack. All you have to do is open a can and you are on your way, making something healthy and nutritious.
The air fryer is just the perfect size when you want to roast just one can when compared to a big oven.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE?
- Nutrition – They are loaded with protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and will keep you full longer.
- Make them your own – Follow the recipe for a homemade chili lime seasoning or customize them to suit your taste.
- Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Vegetarian – A good source of plant based protein.
- Addictive – It’s hard to stop eating these once you start. The crispy and crunchy texture with the flavorful blend of spices is delicious.
HOW TO PREP?
Empty contents of a can into a strainer placed over the sink. Hold the strainer under running water to rinse and let all the water drain well. Pat them dry thoroughly using a large clean kitchen towel, so that they are completely moisture free.
HOW LONG TO COOK?
We used Instant Pot Vortex air fryer and it took about 12 minutes in mine. Since every air fryer is different, check after about 10 minutes and continue cooking, until roasted they reach the desired crispiness.
- Chickpeas – Rinsed and drained canned chickpeas (or use about 2 cups of cooked chickpeas)
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- Seasoning – Paprika, Cayenne, Turmeric, Garlic powder and Salt
- Lime – Fresh lime or lemon juice
- Shake the air fryer basket a couple of times. This really helps to ensure that the chickpeas get evenly toasted all around for the best crunch.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. One can of chickpeas will fit very comfortable in most air fryers. You want to make sure that they are spread evenly so it can get nice and crispy. Cook in batches, if using a smaller appliance.
- Don’t skip patting them dry. If they’re too wet, they won’t get crispy. Just give them a quick pat down with a clean kitchen towel before adding them to the air fryer.
- Adding chickpeas before pre heating ensures that it gives an additional boost to dry up, which guarantees crispiness.
- The seasoning mix is a guide. You can switch up to your favorite blend or simply use salt and pepper.
They can be customized in a variety of ways. There’s a spiced seasoning mix in the recipe card below. Feel free to use that or any of the following suggestions:
- Mexican – Use our taco seasoning spice blend instead.
- Indian – Skip paprika and use turmeric and coriander powders.
- Ranch – Use a mix of dried chives, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper or use ranch seasoning.
- Curry – Melted coconut oil instead of olive oil, curry powder and lime.
- Italian – Skip paprika and cayenne. Toss in Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and finish off with parmesan.
- Salt and Vinegar – Omit seasoning. Toss in white vinegar and salt.
- Greek – Try this Greek seasoning instead.
- Buffalo – Toss in buffalo seasoning instead.
- Everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joes.
- Cajun – Homemade or store-bought cajun seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE?
- Toss– Stir drained and rinsed chickpeas, olive oil and all seasoning ingredients in a bowl, until thoroughly combined.
- Roast – Roast at 390° for 12 to 13 minutes (shake the basket couple of times in between). As soon as it is done cooking, squeeze fresh lime juice on top and shake well to combine.
HOW TO STORE?
These will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. If you want to reheat them, just pop them back in the air fryer for a few minutes until they’re warm. Reheating them in microwave will make them soften.
Store after completely cooled. If you want to store them, wait to cool completely, then store in a sealed container.
HOW TO SERVE?
These make a great healthy snack anytime. Have you made this super healthy chocolate hummus recipe? Another guilt free snack made with canned chickpeas.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Sure can! Use the blend in the recipe card or feel free use any of the suggestions stated above.
The secret is to make sure they’re really dry. Canned garbanzo beans are exposed to liquid in the can, so you need to pre-dry them thorgoughly.
They should be golden brown and have a slight crispy texture. Go ahead and give one a taste. If it is still soft in the middle, it needs to cook for a few minutes longer.
Yes, garbanzo beans and chickpeas are the same things. They’re just two different names for the same type of bean.
Some recipes call for removing the skins to help them crisp up. However, that requires tremendous patience, time and effort. We found that the beans with skin were just as crisp and crunchy.
MORE CHICKPEA RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Butter Chickpeas
- Mexican Chickpeas
- Beet Curry with Chickpeas
- Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- Chickpea Tacos
- Creamy Chickpea Soup
- One 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 lime, juiced (or use 1/2 large lemon)
- Drain chickpeas in a strainer and place under running water to rinse well. Make sure all the water is drained off before using (no need to pat dry).
- Add all ingredients (except lime juice) into a medium bowl and toss well until thoroughly combined.
- Add chickpeas into the air fryer basket (spreading to a single layer) and bake at 390° F for 12 to 14 minutes (the chickpeas are added before pre heating to ensure crispiness), until the chickpeas have crisped up (shake basket twice in between). It took 13 minutes in my air fryer.
- When cooking time is done, squeeze lime juice all over the chickpeas and shake well until evenly coated.
- Let chickpeas cool for a few minutes before serving.
To prep chickpeas, empty contents of a can into a strainer placed over the sink. Hold the strainer under running water to rinse them and let all the water drain well, before using.
Adding chickpeas before pre heating ensures that it gives an additional boost to dry up, which guarantees crispiness.
I used Instant Pot Vortex air fryer and it took about 12 minutes in mine. Since every air fryer is different, check after about 10 minutes and continue cooking, until it reaches the desired crispiness.
The seasoning mix is a guide. You can switch up to your favorite blend or simply use salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 11gSugar: 7gProtein: 13g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com.. Although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact sources and algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.