Buttery, crisp and mildly sweet cardamom cookies are so soft that they truly melt in your mouth!! These melt in your mouth cardamom shortbread cookies pairs perfectly with your cup of coffee of tea.
Meet my new favorite shortbread cookie!!!
These cardamom cookies have just the right amount of sweetness and they are super crisp yet melts into your mouth!! SO GOOD!
What makes these melt in your mouth cardamom shortbread cookies really, really good?
- Crisp yet light
- Floral, exotic cardamom flavored
- Mildly sweet
- Pairs well with coffee / tea / Indian chai
- Perfectly sized
- Easy to make
- Slice and bake, no fancy equipment needed
- No eggs in the recipe <— great for vegetarians.
Another Whole Wheat Walnut Shortbread Cookies that is crisp, buttery and yummy!
How to make a awesome cardamom shortbread cookies?
Step-1: Grind green cardamoms to a fine powder in a dry grinder and measure 1 tablespoon.
Step-2: Whisk together all purpose flour, cardamom powder and salt together.
Step-3 : In a seperate bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, just for 30 seconds on high (picture below, left)
Step-4: Add the dry ingredients and mix well (picture above, middle and right), shape into a 7 to 8 inch log (picture below, left), wrap and chill until very firm (The dough can be made up to two days ) (picture below, right).
Step-5: Preheat oven t0 375 degrees F.
Step-6 : Slice cookie dough and place on a baking sheet and bake until deep golden (refer pictures below)
Cool and enjoy!
Key factors in making this cardamom cookies:
- Confectioners sugar – The secret is in the confectioners sugar. Confectioners or powdered sugar contain a small portion of cornstarch in them, which contributes to that melt in your mouth feel.
- Room temperature butter – If you live in a hot climate or it is in the middle of summer then the butter might be too soft for the cookie dough. In that case, make the cookie dough as instructed and chill the dough in the refrigerator for 20-40 minutes to firm up slightly before shaping into the log.
- Cardamom powder – Freshly ground green cardamoms make the best favored cookie. Try to use fresh, if possible.
These cookies are the easiest to make and is a great starter cookie if you think baking is really not-you-cup-of-tea or great project for young kids.
Another super easy baked muffin that has only 4 ingredients –> Gluten Free Nutella Brownie Muffins
OR, this Chocolate chip Cookie Mug Cake <— cookie in a mug!
Can you make cardamom cookies without an electric mixer?
Step-1: Whisk dry in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step-2: Add room temperature butter and confectioners into a larger bowl and mix vigorously with a wooden spoon, until creamy. This is a very forgiving cookie, so a good 3 minutes should be good!
Step-3: Add dry ingredients and continue to mix with the wooden spoon, until it looks like the picture.
Step-4: Proceed as instructed in the remaining part of the recipe – shape, chill, slice and bake.
More recipes with cardamom:
Easiest, creamiest Kulfi – We are talking super creamy no-churn kulfi ice cream!
Mango Kulfi – Creamiest mango kulfi ever!!! Made with fresh mangoes, saffron and cardamom, this mango kulfi recipe is better than any store bought mango ice cream and you do not need an ice cream maker.
Shrikhand Overnight Oats – Overnight oats that tastes like Shrikhand!!!
Kulfi Overnight Oats – This kulfi overnight oats tastes like Indian kulfi!!!! Saffron, cardamom, pistachios make take simple overnight oats into an exotic breakfast.
Melt In Your Mouth Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
- Whisk together all purpose flour, cardamom powder and salt in a small bowl
- Place butter and confectioners sugar in a medium bowl, beat with a hand held electric beater on high speed, until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed, until well combined.
- Shape dough into a 7-inch log and wrap with a piece of parchment paper and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours (up to 2 days) to firm. (Please note that if you are working in Summer or if you live in a warm/hot place, the dough might be sticky due to the high fat content. So, place the bowl in the refrigerator for 20-40 minutes, to firm up the dough before rolling into log)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, slice into 1/4-inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
- Bake cookies in the middle rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until deep golden around the edges (turn pan once halfway through baking) You want a deep golden brown around the edges for a crisp cookie. If you remove the cookies before that stage, then it will have slight crisp and softer texture.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool completelyStore cookies in an air tight container for several days.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.