Cozy, creamy, comforting, spicy yet light healthy Indian spinach soup recipe !!! With fresh spinach, cashews and warm spices, this dairy free spinach soup is perfect for the fall ( and flu ) season.
A yummy, spicy healthy spinach soup recipe.
The best dairy free Spinach soup that I have eaten every day this month. It is so amazingly creamy yet light.
Thanks to raw cashews!
This Indian spinach soup recipe is more of an Indian inspired soup. It is
- Creamy without the cream
- Dairy free
- Amazingly delicious
More Indian inspired recipes :
Let us look at the team players in the dairy free spinach soup:
Fresh baby spinach
Raw whole cashews
Spices – coriander powder, cayenne and turmeric
Basics – onion and garlic
Just your basic pantry ingredients ( plus spinach) for a delicious Indian spinach soup is so perfect to warm cold fall nights!
How to make spinach soup?
Step-1: Toast cumin seeds in some vegetable oil
Step-2: Add raw cashews, chopped onion and garlic. Saute until translucent
Step-3: Add baby spinach leaves, coriander powder, cayenne pepper powder and turmeric powder. Saute until spinach is wilted and spices are toasted.
Step-4: Stir in chicken stock and salt. Bring to a boil and let boil for 1 minute ( not any longer).
Step-5: Cool and blend until smooth
Done and DONE.
Healthy Indian spinach soup recipe for the win!!
Tips and tricks for making the healthy Indian spinach soup:
- Bring the soup to a boil and let boil for exactly one minute. Boiling it longer will change the green color.
- Toast cumin seeds. This adds a key flavor. Add cumin seeds only when the vegetable oil is hot (not smoking hot). The cumin seeds will toast and get larger in size.
- Use raw cashews. If you have only roasted cashews, then add then along with the chicken stock.
- Take time in wilting the spinach and toasting spices ( but do not cook way too long). This develops flavor!
- Chicken stock – I used 33 % less sodium chicken stock
- Salt – I used 33% less sodium chicken stock and 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt. If you are using regular sodium or no sodium chicken stock then adjust salt accordingly.
More delicious soup recipes like this healthy spinach soup:
Creamy Tuscan Chicken Soup – Cozy, comforting instant pot creamy tuscan chicken soup that is sure to warm your soul on a chilly night! The best kind of comfort food in a bowl.
Instant Pot Thai Curry Soup with Shrimp and Sweet Potato – It is the perfect cozy, comforting soup anytime!!! Loaded with shrimp, spinach and sweet potato, this Instant pot Thai curry soup is quick and easy.
Tuscan Shrimp and Spinach Soup – The best shrimp soup to cozy up this winter! This creamy shrimp soup is amazingly comforting, quick and everyone will beg for seconds.
Thai Curry Noodle Soup – 10-minutes, one pan Thai curry noodle soup that tastes A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!
Healthy Indian Spinach Soup (dairy free)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 30 raw cashews
- 2 medium handfuls baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder use less if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 x 14.5oz can chicken stock
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt refer notes
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add cumin seeds and let toast. Add group-1 ingredients, saute for about 2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add group-2 ingredients, saute for 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted and spices are toasted.
- Add stock and salt (I added 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt ), let it come to a boil and continue to cook for 1 minute (NOT LONGER). Take off heat and let cool. Pour mixture into a blender, add salt , blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into bowls and serve.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.