This amazingly soft orange walnut cake is loaded with ground walnuts, orange juice, zest and has a crisp orange sugar topping. Perfect plain or with coffee.
I love frosted layer cakes on special occasions. But, many a times I’m craving for a plain slice of cake along with coffee or a snack. Bring on the pound cakes, coffee cakes, streusel cakes, bundt cakes, crumb cakes.
This coffee cake is one such recipe that has been an all time favorite.
It is simply the BEST!!!
Because, this recipe was posted here first with not-so-good pictures:)
And, so many tried it anyways and have shared their delicious experience. Thank you, I love you all.
So, why should you be baking this cake today?
- It is holy YUM.
- Incredibly tender.
- Triple orange goodness- Cake is flavored with orange zest,orange juice and then topped off with crackly orange sugar.
- Easily made in your food processor.
- Easy to remember measurements
- And, you probably have all the ingredients already.
Orange Walnut Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of one orange
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Orange sugar topping
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8-inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Into a food processor, combine all dry ingredients (flour, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt). Process for one minute and 30 seconds, until finely ground. Transfer mixture to a bowl and keep aside.
- Into the same (now empty) processor, add butter, sugar and orange zest (from one orange). Process for 45 seconds. Add both eggs and process for few seconds until smooth (scrape the sides of the processor to mix in any butter sticking to the sides).
- Add half the ground flour mixture, process for 10 seconds, then orange juice, process for 10 seconds and then finish off with remaining flour mixture and process for additional 10 seconds, until combined.
- Transfer batter into the prepared pan, spread evenly and sprinkle orange sugar on top.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 36-41 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool (we usually start digging in while still warm). YUM.
To make orange sugar topping
- Mix 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon orange zest in a small bowl with your finger tips, until zest is evenly distributed. Stir in finely chopped walnuts.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.