Chicken Rice Bowl is packed with seasoned ground Mexican chicken, cilantro lime rice, black beans along with your favorite burrito toppings.
Chicken Rice Bowl
If you love Chipotle burritos, tacos or just anything Mexican, then this is your ultimate comfort food. If your family loves bowls then you might love this Shrimp Rice Bowl.
Amazingly delicious as is!!! No sauce required. Honestly, my family could eat these every night of the week. So DANG GOOD! We love to make it for dinner or make double batch and meal prep the leftovers.
Why You'll Love This?
- Flavorful - They are spicy, tangy, salty, cheesy and tasty.
- Customizable - Easily customizable with whatever you have around.
- Meal Prep - We love to make a big batch of in the weekend and refrigerate in seperate containers for the week. Load up with toppings just before eating.
- Budget friendly - This homemade bowl is friendly on your wallet.
What is a Burrito Bowl?
It is a deconstructed burrito without the tortilla. It consists of all your favorite ingredients - Any protein, cheese, beans, corn, salsa, sour cream, guacamole or avocado all served on a bed of cooked grains or lettuce.
My favorite burrito bowl from Chipotle is with poultry, so I had to find a way to make a homemade version. Saves money and calories!
- Rice - We love this best tasting Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe. If you don't have an Instant Pot, then simply saute some chopped onion and garlic in vegetable oil, stir fry cooked, cooled grains and salt. Finish with lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Taco Meat - Ground chicken is sautéed with the Taco Seasoning. It is super flavorful blend of spices like chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, paprika, cayenne, ground black pepper, oregano and salt and does not come close to any store bought ones.
- Black beans - Drained and rinsed canned black beans.
- Corn - Leftover grilled corn or defrosted frozen corn works well.
- Salsa - Use your favorite kind of salsa or pico de gallo.
- Avocado - Use ripe avocado or avocado crema.
- Cheese - Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend works well.
- Lime - Fresh lime or lemon juice elevates the taste.
- Jalapeno - A must in our books.
- Cilantro - Optional but highly recommended.
It may seem like a huge laundry list but, each and every component is easy to prepare and can be refrigerated separately to make anytime.
- Leftover white rice - Refer notes for a quick note on prepping leftover grains.
- Brown rice - It makes a healthier substitute.
- Carb free - Use cauliflower rice makes a great carb free substitute or skip grains and load up on chopped lettuce.
- Vegetarian - Use skillet chickpeas instead of ground meat.
- Burrito - Layer everything into a large flour tortilla, wrap and take it to go.
How To Make?
- Cook Rice - Make Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Saute Chicken - Saute ground meat with Chicken Taco Seasoning in vegetable oil until cooked.
- Prep - Drain and rinse canned black beans, defrost corn, make pico de gallo, dice avocado, chop cilantro and jalapeños.
- Assemble - Layer grains, cooked meat, black beans, corn, avocado, salsa or pico de gallo, cheese, jalapeño and cilantro.
How Long Does It Last?
They will last approximately 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Cooked components like meat, grains, black beans and corn can be stored together. Salsa or pico de gallo can be stored in seperate container.
Absolutely! They are well balanced with protein, carbs and vegetables. For a low carb version, swap out the grains with cauliflower rice, chopped lettuce or use brown rice instead for a more nutritious boost.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from Kitchen At Hoskins, please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. And if you took any pictures, be sure to share them on Instagram so I can share them on my stories.
Chicken Rice Bowl
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or corn or olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 recipe homemade chicken taco seasoning
- 3 to 4 cups Cilantro lime rice refer notes
- 1 and ½ avocados, sliced
- ¾ cup salsa or pico de gallo, refer notes
- ½ cup grated cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, optional
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup cooked corn, optional
- 2 tablepsoons chopped cilantro, optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken and taco seasoning. Saute (breaking lumps) for 4-5 minutes until chicken is cooked and browned. Transfer and let cool.
- Divide the rice, chicken, salsa or pico de gallo, cheese, beans, corn, avocado and cilantro just before eating.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe