Tiramisu Tres Leches cake is the ultimate dessert mashup of Italian Tiramisu and Mexican Tres Leches cake!! Creamy mascarpone whipped cream slathered on a sponge cake that is soaked in espresso infused milk.
What is Tiramisu Tres Leches Cake?
It is a creative mashup of coffee flavored Italian Tiramisu and Mexican Tres leches cake – A vanilla scented sponge cake is soaked with coffee and rum flavored three milks and then topped with a creamy mascarpone whipped frosting.
If you guys remember this hugely popular Rasamali Tres Leches Cake (which is an mashup of Indian rasmalai sweet and tres leches cake), then this is a similar recipe with an Italian twist!
What is Tres Leches Cake?
“Tres Leches” means three milks. A sponge cake is soaked with 3 types of milk ( authentic tres leches cake recipe includes sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whole milk) and then topped with whipped cream. It is very popular in Mexico and Latin America.
This cake is unlike any other cake that you will eat. Dripping with sweet milk, it is so soft and moist.
What is Tiramisu?
Tiramisu is a classic no-bake Italian dessert combining espresso-dipped ladyfingers and a creamy lightly sweetened mascarpone cream. With the inclusion of espresso and alcohol, tiramisu is an adult dessert.
Sponge cake – A vanilla sponge cake made with beaten eggs to give the volume and spongy structure.
Three milks – Plain milk, heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk along with coffee and rum to get the classic tiramisu flavors.
Mascarpone whipped cream – Mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract beaten until stiff
Cocoa powder – The top is dusted with cocoa powder for that authentic tiramisu look.
How to make Tres leches Cake?
This coffee tres leches cake is not an easy, one bowl kinda cake – It takes two days to make. Don’t you worry. I have included a lot of pictures to guide you along the way. You are all set to make your new favorite cake for birthdays, holidays, parties, get togethers or anytime you wanna celebrate.
First day —> Bake cake. Soak cake with boozy coffee milk.
Second day —> Make mascarpone whipped cream. Finish cake.
More details: You will need a 9 by 13 inch pan. Or the same recipe in two 8 by 8 inch (round/square) pans to make two cakes.
- It is easier to seperate eggs when they are cold. So remove eggs and seperate ’em and leave aside to come to room temperature (1-2 hours before making cake). Remember it is easier to seperate eggs when they are cold whereas room temperature eggs whip to full volume.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.
- With clean beaters, beat yolks and sugar until very thick.
5. Add milk ( straight out of the refrigerator is ok ), beat for about 30 seconds, until well combined. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold whisked dry ingredients in two additions.
6. Gently fold in whipped egg whites in three additions, taking care not to loose all that air. Pour batter into a greased 9 by 13 inch pan. (refer picture below – right)
7. When is baking, heat milk in stove top or microwave. Take off heat, when warm, stir in instant coffee and let milk cool to room temperature. Mix along with sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, rum and vanilla extract.
8. When cake is cooled, poke holes all over cake with a fork. Gently pour milk all over cake, cover pan with a foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
9. Beat mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract until it gets thick.
10. Remove soaked cake from refrigerator, spread mascarpone whipped cream on top and dust the top with cocoa powder. Wrap and store cake in refrigerator until serving time.
Seperate eggs when cold and let stand at room temperature for at least one hour – Room temperature eggs whip to full volume when compared to cold eggs. But, eggs are easier to be separated when cold.
Fold egg whites without loosing much of the air – We need all those tine air bubbles intact to soak up the coffee infused milk.
Rum – Plain white rum and not any flavored ones.
Frequently asked questions:
Unfortunately, this tres leches cake recipe is too soft to be made into layer cakes. So, we recommend serving straight out of the pan.
Though I haven’t used it personally, fresh lemon juice / white vinegar is a common replacement for cream of tarter. You will need 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice/vinegar for the 1/8 teaspoon cream of tarter.
Regular brewed coffee will not only thin the milk mixture but also add additional liquid into the recipe which might ruin the recipe.
Absolutely! The quantity of rum in the recipe is much lesser when compared to classic tiramisu recipes. However, you could totally skip rum when feeding children.
The tiramisu tres leches cake can refrigerated (wrap the baking pan tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap) for up to 4 days.
Keeping track of the cake recipes? Check out Carrot Walnut Cake
More creative dessert mashups:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk (whole milk preferably)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces sweetened condensed milk (less than 1/2 can)
- 2 tablespoon rum, white (optional)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mascarpone whipped cream
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
(This cake recipe is a two day process)
1. Seperate eggs, place egg whites in a medium bowl and yolks in a large bowl and let come to room temperature, for about 1-2 hours. (Eggs straight out of the refrigerator are easier to seperate when compared to room temperature eggs).
2. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Make coffee milk
(When the cake is baking, make coffee milk)
Soak cake with coffee milk
1. When cake has cooled completely, poke holes all over the cake with a fork (this will help in the milk seeping into the cake and make it ultra moist).
Make Mascarpone whipped cream
Add heavy cream, confectioners sugar, mascarpone, vanilla extract and salt into a large bowl and continue to beat until it is thick and frosting consistency.
Finish Tiramisu Tres Leches Cake
1. Spread mascarpone whipped cream evenly on top of the cake and smooth top.
2. Using a strainer, dust cocoa powder all over the top (do not add too much, just enough to barely cover the top).
3. Cover pan with a plastic wrap or foil, store in refrigerator and serve cold.
Room temperature eggs – room temperature eggs whip to full volume when compared to cold eggs. But, eggs are easier to be separated when cold. So seperate cold eggs and leave at room temperature for 1-2 hours before making cake.
Make it kid friendly - Skip rum
Storage - Cake can stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Instant coffee - Please do not sub with brewed coffee.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com.. Although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact sources and algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.