Crispy, buttery, cinnamon sugar coated waffles served with a side of tres leches sauce!!!
SOOO, has you mind blown yet?
These waffles. Youuuu guys.
Crispy, tender, buttery waffles that is brushed with more butter and coated with cinnamon sugar.
Aaaaand then, no maple syrup.
Dunk 'em in a milk sauce. An epic THREE MILK SAUCE.
May be not the healthiest of breakfasts, but ideal for those indulgent, splurge-worthy weekends.
More waffle recipes:
Skill level - Intermediate
Churro Waffles with Tres Leches Sauce
Tres leches sauce
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup milk (whole or 2%)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
Cinnamon sugar coating
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Make tres leches sauce,
1. In a small saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream and milk. Place over medium heat and let come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly (maintain the heat so that, the milk simmers yet doesn't boil over).
2. Take pan off heat, stir in vanilla extract and salt. Let it cool, until warm or room temperature (this sauce can be made ahead and stored at room temperature for a few hours or stored in refrigerator for 1-2 days).
Make churro waffles,
1. Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacters instructions.
2. Whisk together all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk egg, melted butter and milk until smooth. Add this wet mixture into the flour mixture and whisk to combine.
4. Grease the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Ladle ⅓ cup of batter onto the hot iron and cook waffles according to manufactionsrs instructions , until golden in color.
5. Remove waffles and place on a wire rack (to maintain the crispness). Repeat to make remaining waffles.
Cinnamon sugar coating,
1. Stir together sugar and ground cinnamon and place on a medium plate.
2. Just before serving, brush one side of each waffle with melted butter and place buttered side down on the cinnamon sugar. Press slightly for the sugar to adhere well.
8. Serve waffles with tres leches sauce on the side or drizzled on top.
Makes 8 waffles