Homemade Mini Waffles is made from scratch using mini waffle maker. Made with simple pantry ingredients, they are light and crispy with fluffy inside.
Anything mini is always adorable like this mini cheesecakes. We love to make hot Homemade breakfasts in the weekends - a tall stack of pancakes, oatmeal or french toast are always something my kids love to wake up to.
But, when you are cooking for one or two then a mini iron comes handy. They are tiny, hardly takes up any counter space and come in variety of shapes from round to Mickey mouse or Star wars characters, making it so fun for kids.
Made without buttermilk or beaten egg whites, this is an easy recipe with basic pantry ingredients, making it easy for anyone to make.
How about brunch party? Set up a bar with a fun toppings and let your friends fix their own with whatever their heart desires, from healthy to decadent. Check out more: Almond Flour Waffles or Apple Waffles.
Whether you’re a college student or someone who lives in a small apartment, this tiny iron is a cute addition to your kitchen or dorm.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS?
- Fun Size - They are small, cute and adorable.
- Kid approved - Kids love all things mini!
- Amazing texture - The batter creates a fluffy waffle with the perfect amount of crispiness like the oatmeal waffles.
- Simple ingredients - Basic ingredients that you are sure to have in your pantry right now.
- Freeze well - No need to buy frozen ones from the store. Make your own and freeze leftovers for a quick grab and go homemade breakfast on a busy morning before the kids run to school.
WHAT WAFFLE MAKER TO USE?
We used the Dash mini waffle maker. They makes a 4-inch round and the size is perfect for a college dorms or tiny apartments. But, you can use any iron that you own. Just use lesser batter, so they won't fill up the entire surface.
Why are they not crispy?
Thick batter might not make the crispiest waffles. So, make sure that the batter is thick yet pourable consistency to make light and fluffy with crisp outside.
Can this be frozen?
I usually make a double batch of the recipe or just freeze leftovers. Place cooled ones in a ziplock bag and freeze for several weeks. My favorite way to re heat them is to pop one or two in a bread toaster, until hot and crisp. Great for weekday mornings before heading out to school or work.
This is a classic and simple recipe with basic pantry ingredients like
- Flour – Regular all purpose flour (replace half the flour with almond flour for a healthier twist).
- Leavener – Baking powder.
- Milk – Whole or skim milk.
- Butter – Unsalted butter, melted until warm.
- Eggs – One large
- Vanilla extract - Optional
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Color – Cook until they get a deep golden brown for GUARANTEED CRISPNESS! It took 5-6 minutes in the Dash iron.
- Don’t over mix – As with all baking recipes, over mixing will make it chewier.
- Milk – Whole milk if possible
- Almond Flour - Replace half the plain flour with all purpose flour for a healthier twist.
- Make it healthy - Use melted coconut oil instead of butter.
- Make sure the iron is pre heated before pouring the batter.
- Grease – This ensures that they does not stick to the iron. I like to spray mine with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pancake batter will NOT work as a replacement.
- All appliances are different so be sure to follow the instructions cooking time and batter measurement.
They are perfect on their own or you can dress them up in infinite ways from healthy to a decadent dessert. Here are some ideas to make them irresistible:
- Basic - Softened salted butter and warm maple syrup.
- Fresh fruits - Sliced bananas and fresh berries.
- Chocolatey - Nutella, chocolate chips and whipped cream.
- Healthy - A drizzle of almond butter or peanut butter, sliced bananas and toasted almonds.
- Tropical - Use coconut oil instead of butter and top with chopped fresh pineapple and shredded coconut.
- Dessert - Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, caramel walnuts and chocolate sauce/ salted caramel sauce.
- Nuts - Toasted and chopped almonds, hazelnuts or candied pecans.
- Birthday cake - Sweetened whipped cream, chocolate sauce and maraschino cherry.
- With chicken - Top with store bought or homemade chicken nuggets, warm maple syrup and a dust of confectioners sugar.
- Asian - A scoop of black sesame ice cream, toasted sesame seeds and shredded coconut.
HOW TO MAKE?
This homemade from scratch recipe is quick and easy! Here’s a quick rundown, but the full printable recipe is at the bottom of the post.
- Mix dry ingredients– Whisk all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients - Whisk melted butter, egg and milk in another bowl.
- Make batter - Stir the flour mixture into wet ingredients and fold until just combined, making sure not to over mix.
- Cook – Make in a pre heated iron according to the instructions (it took 5 to 6 minutes in Dash).
HOW TO SERVE?
- They are best served on their own for breakfast with a dab of softened salted butter, warm maple syrup and fresh berries.
- Make them savory and top them with chicken nuggets, scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon.
- Transform into a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream, chocolate or caramel sauce, strawberries and candied walnuts.
HOW TO KEEP THEM WARM?
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place cooked ones on a wire rack lined baking sheet and keep in oven, until serving time. The will make the hot circulate around them and maintain the crispness.
HOW TO FREEZE?
These freeze amazingly well. Place cooled ones in freezer safe zip lock bag, seal well and freeze for up to a month.
HOW TO REHEAT?
- In a Toaster – Pop one or two frozen ones in a bread toaster for 1 to 2 minutes, until thawed and hot ---> Our go-to method!
- Oven method – Place frozen guys (placed directly on the oven rack in a single layer) in a preheated 275°F .
- In Microwave – Microwave one or two for about a minute or until hot.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It depends on the type of the iron used! I used Dash brand, and used ¼ cup batter for each waffle. This recipe made 8 to 10 4-inch ones.
I’m sorry, an iron is a must to make these. There are several models available online to suit your budget. If you do not own an iron, then here are some delicious pancake recipes to make on your stovetop: Almond Butter Pancakes, Eggless Pancakes or Oat Flour Pancakes.
Be sure that you grease your iron thoroughly with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray before each batch. Also, check that it is fully preheated before adding the batter.
More Waffles Recipes to try:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar white / brown / coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg large
- ¾ cup milk whole or skim
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled to lukewarm
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk all wet ingredients in a larger bowl and stir in the flour mixture, until just combined (DO NOT OVER MIX). The batter should be thick yet with a pourable consistency, so begin with ¾ cup milk and add a little more if needed.
- Grease hot waffle iron and make using about ¼ cup batter for each waffle. Cook according to manufactures instructions. (it took 5 to 6 minutes per waffle).
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.