Air Fryer French Toast is delicious, healthier, easy to make, uses simple pantry ingredients, perfect for a quick breakfast, using any type of bread that you have at home. Serve in whole slices, or cut into sticks.
Air Fryer French Toast
It is golden and has that perfect crispiness without any oil! That means more room for butter! Making in the Air Fryer is so easy and quick! It gives it a perfectly crispy exterior without any added oil – so you can definitely call this healthy breakfast recipe!
Fluffy and rich on the inside, it is easy enough to make on a busy morning, just like the peanut butter toast, or make ahead the night before and reheat it in the morning.
Reasons you’ll love this recipe
- Hands free way to make and is perfect for college dorm cooking.
- Quick and easy recipe that is easy enough for weekday morning.
- Perfect for using any type of bread you have around.
- No added oil or butter, making it healthy.
Why french toast in air fryer?
It is quick, easy, makes a small batch, perfect for college dorms, easy enough for young kids to make and most importantly clean up is a breeze.
What type of bread to use?
Let's be honest, Brioche makes the best french toast. It is buttery and rich making a heavenly breakfast. When I’m making at home, I just try go for any kind that I have around.
If you using a crustier or not-so-soft bread, then we recommend soaking it in egg custard for a few minutes before air frying. Any of the following types will work ( day old will help in soaking up more custard):
- Texas Toast
- White Sandwich
- Whole grain
WHAT'S IN THE BATTER?
It has simple, basic ingredients - Eggs, milk or heavy cream (to make it rich), salt, vanilla extract and a bit of cinnamon. The general rule is to use 1 egg for 1 to 2 slices. Mix everything with a whisk, dip your bread in it and cook away.
WHAT MILK TO USE?
Anything from 2% milk to whole milk to heavy cream will work just fine. Use almond milk or oat milk to make it dairy free.
Brioche has a soft texture and will soak up the custard mixture quickly. If you over soak it, it can start to fall apart.
HOW LONG TO COOK?
I used Instant Vortex for the recipe and it took 5 to 6 minutes. Softer bread takes about 6 minutes and heartier breads like whole wheat or whole grain cooks few seconds shorter.
Why does air fryer french toast does not brown?
French toasts are normally cooked in butter which results in a beautiful golden brown color on the exterior. However, this recipe does not include any butter when cooking (Healthy for the win!!!), which results in a not-brown color, but tastes delicious tho!
If you love a golden brown look, then sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on both sides of the slices before cooking to help with the caramelization.
**scroll all the way down for full ingredient list and step by step printable directions**
- Bread - Wheat / Whole wheat / Buttermilk / White breads
- Milk - You can use your favorite milk like whole milk or reduced fat milk for this recipe. We would suggest staying away from fat free.
- Egg - Straight out of the fridge is ok.
- Flavorings - Vanilla extract and/or ground cinnamon
- Sweeteners - Sugar and maple syrup
- Salt - Add a pinch of salt to balance the flavors and sweetness
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Flavorings - Apart from vanilla extract, other flavorings that will be delicious are ground Cinnamon / freshly grated Nutmeg / Almond extract.
- Choose a shallow dish - Use a high rimmed baking dish or a pie plate with a flat bottom for wet batter. This helps to soak the bread evenly.
- When dredging the slices in the batter, be sure to let it soak for at least 10 seconds on each side so it has time to really soak up the egg mixture.
- Mix batter until sugar is dissolved.
- Sweeteners - We have used plain sugar. However, other sweeteners like brown sugar, coconut sugar, honey or maple syrup can be used instead.
- Can you overlap? Place in a single layer in the basket - This will ensure that they crisp up all over.
- Grease: Spraying the basket with oil spray before placing the bread into it to avoid sticking.
- Single Layer: For the best result, avoid overlapping and place them in a single layer.
These are delicious topped with any of the following options:
- Fresh fruits like sliced banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Shredded coconut
- Softened salted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
How to make?
Whisk - Whisk together egg, milk, sugar, a pinch salt and vanilla extract together in a shallow dish, until well combined and sugar is dissolved.
Dip - Dip bread in the batter on both sides, until all the batter is soaked.
Cook - Spray the basket with non-stick cooking spray. Gently transfer the soaked slices slices into the basket, spray a coating of non-stick cooking spray and cook at 350 degrees for 3 minutes. Turn over, spray again and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
How many slices per batch? I used Instant vortex 6 quart air fryer and was able to fit 2 slices per batch. We recommend placing as many slices that you can fit in a single layer.
Serve - Serve hot with warm maple syrup.
With just a few basic ingredients, I know I can whip up this delicious recipe that my family will love!
How to serve?
Serve air fried french toast with dab of softened salted butter, maple syrup and fresh fruits.
Other suggested toppings include Nutella, Chocolate syrup, Strawberry syrup, Maple butter and Whipped cream.
How to store?
This recipe makes a small batch of just one or two servings. So, we usually do not end up with leftovers. In case you have leftovers, then refrigerate them in a sealed container for 3 to 4 days. Microwave for 30 to 60 seconds or until heated through.
How to freeze leftovers?
Arrange cooked and cooled french toast in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until firmly frozen, about 30 minutes. Transfer frozen ones into a ziplock bag and freeze for up to a month.
How to cook them from frozen?
Place frozen ones in the air fryer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes at 400 degrees. Flip over and cook another minute.
To cook in oven – Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, cover with foil and bake in a pre heated 350° oven for about 10 minutes, or until hot.
Many recipes are delicious with rich buttery breads like brioche or challah. Paired with warm maple syrup, fresh fruits and crisp bacon, they sure make an indulgent breakfast. But, I'm usually stocked with only regular sandwich loafs, so we created a basic recipe that would work with any of this.
We have been making french toast as long as I can remember, but trying it in the air fryer was a game changer. It has such a way of starting the morning off in the best way when paired with a bowl of fresh fruit, a few slices of bacon, and drizzle of maple syrup.
Can you air fryer frozen french toast sticks?
Absolutely! Place frozen sticks (do not thaw) in a pre heated 350° air fryer for 5 minutes. Do not need to flip them, serve with maple syrup.
Frequently asked questions
Rich egg breads like brioche, challah or Texas toast make the best french toast. But, this recipe is delicious using any type of sandwich bread that you have on hand like White, Buttermilk, Wheat, Whole wheat, Whole grain, Oat nut, Whole grain, Country white or Multi grain breads.
Whole milk is recommended, since this recipe does not use any butter while cooking. But, use whatever you have in the refrigerator. Dairy free milk is also good!
Custardy on the inside with crispy buttery edges they are more of an easier bread pudding.
One main reason is soaking the bread for too long in the custard. Other possible reasons can be using a thin or flimsy type of bread.
Sure can! Just pop them in a pre heated appliance at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. They don't need to be flipped since they are already cooked.
More Air Fryer Breakfast ideas to try
Air Fryer French Toast (using any bread)
- 4 slices bread
- Maple syrup for serving
- Add all wet batter ingredients into a shallow pie plate or baking dish and whisk until well combined and sugar is dissolved.
- Place bread slices, one or two at a time into the egg mixture (let it soak for 5-10 seconds on each side), flip to make sure both sides of bread are well-coated.TIP - Soaking time depends on the sturdiness of the bread used. Soft breads like brioche needs to be soaked less whereas wheat or whole grain needs longer time.
- Grease the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and gently place 2 bread slices in a single layer and spray a coating of cooking spray on top.
- Cook at 340°F for 3-4 minutes, flip and continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Repeat process with the remaining two bread slices. Serve french toasts with softened butter, maple syrup and fresh berries.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com