This Peanut Butter Toast is inspired by the latest viral TikTok custard yogurt toast. Bread slices are topped with egg, peanut butter, and maple syrup, and then baked or air fried. Ready in under 7 minutes, it makes a healthy and satisfying snack.
Custard toast has quickly become this year's first viral TikTok food trend with several millions of views and creations - It is like eating dessert for breakfast!
It is made using Greek yogurt, egg, and maple syrup mixed together, then spread on a slice of bread, and then baked or air fried.
What is peanut butter toast? Inspired by this viral TikTok trend, I used peanut butter instead of Greek yogurt and made a fun spin on the usual PB&J.
It has quickly become one of our favorite healthy breakfasts that kids love to eat every morning, before heading out to school like the almond butter overnight oats.
Why you'll love this?
- Just 5 ingredients.
- Bake in the oven or air fry.
- Ready in under 7 minutes, when air fried.
- Filling and satisfying.
- Protein-rich with egg and peanut butter.
- The filling gets a creamy, custardy consistency.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Peanut butter - I like to use creamy peanut butter, like in my peanut butter smoothie.
- Egg - It is the key ingredient to help the filling to set and give a custardy-style texture.
- Sweetener - Any liquid sweeteners such as maple syrup or honey.
- Bread - Any white bread like a white sandwich, soft Italian, soft French, Texas style, Brioche or even regular wheat will work. Avoid crusty bread.
- Chocolate chips - A classic combination like in peanut butter balls.
- Skip chocolate chips.
- Use other nut butter such as almond, cashew or sunflower seed butter instead.
- Add flavorings like vanilla extract or ground cinnamon.
- Mix in ground cinnamon with filling
How to make
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
1 to 4. Make filling - Mix peanut butter, egg, and maple syrup or honey together, until smooth and creamy. When you begin to mix the egg with peanut butter, it will look very liquidy but will thicken into a paste-like consistency in a few seconds. Stir in chocolate chips.
Pro tip: Peanut butter is about 80 percent fat, while egg contains lots of water, so they don't mix naturally. Continue to mix using a small whisk or a spoon, gradually, which gives the mixture time to emulsify and thicken.
5 & 6. Prepare bread - Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, press into the center of each piece of bread to indent and create a rim around the edges, without poking through. Divide the filling between two slices of bread.
- Air Fry - Preheat your air fryer to 340 degrees. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the tops are golden brown in color.
- Oven - Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 8 to 12 minutes.
The peanut butter toast will result in a thin, dry top layer and the inside will have a creamy, spoon-clinging consistency.
- If removed early, the peanut butter toast will not have enough time for the custard to set and will be slightly runny inside.
- If left longer in the oven or air fryer, it will result in a very brown or almost burnt top. Make sure to keep an eye, during the last minute (when air frying) or the last few minutes (when baking).
How to serve?
Enjoy hot with a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar. You can also top them with fresh fruits, a drizzle of Nutella or jam, and chopped toasted nuts. I like to pair it with strawberry lassi for a satisfying and nutritious breakfast.
More air fryer breakfasts
Hungry for more? Follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook or Pinterest for more delicious recipes
Peanut Butter Toast
- ¼ cup creamy Peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips optional
- 2 slices white bread
- Add peanut butter, egg and maple syrup or honey, into a medium bowl and mix well, until smooth and creamy. When you begin to mix the egg with peanut butter, it will look very liquidy but will thicken into a paste-like consistency in a few seconds. Stir in chocolate chips.Pro tip: Peanut butter is about 80 percent fat, while egg contains lots of water, so they don't mix naturally. Continue to mix using a small whisk or a spoon, gradually, which gives the mixture time to emulsify and thicken.
- Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, press into the centre of each bread to indent and creating a rim around the edges, without poking through.
- Using a spoon, divide the penaut butter filling between the two slices and then spread evenly into the indent, leaving ¼-1/2 inch border exposed.
To Air Fry
- Preheat air fryer to 340°F and place toasts in the basket when hot. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes (check after 4 minutes) or until the tops are deep golden brown in color.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place toasts on a baking sheet. bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until the tops are deep golden brown in color.
- The peanut butter toast will result in a thin, dry top layer and the inside will have a creamy, spoon-clinging consistency.Trouble shooting -If removed early, the peanut butter toast will not have enough time for the custard to set and will be slightly runny inside.If left longer in the oven or air fryer, it will result in a very brown or almost burnt top. Make sure to keep an eye, during the last minute (when air frying) or the last few minutes (when baking).
- Serve - Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and enjoy hot!
Don’t use crusty breadsOther nut butter – Almond butter, Sun butter, cashew butter will work. Chocolate chips are optional.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Leave a Reply