This Air Fryer Green Beans recipe features tender-crisp green beans covered in crispy golden parmesan-panko bits. It cooks in 10 minutes and is hands down the most delicious green beans recipe I know!
You will fall in love with this air fryer green beans... it's so good!!
I'm constantly in search of innovative ways to feed vegetables to my family, and this recipe has proven to be exceptional. They vanish within minutes as my children eagerly devour them.
When buying green beans, it's essential to ensure they are fresh. Look for ones that are vibrant green, firm, and free from spots or blemishes. They should also have a crisp texture, make a snapping sound when broken, and have a slight sheen and feel plump. Avoid beans that are wrinkled or limp.
To clean them, you can give them a good rinse under running water or soak them. To soak, fill a large bowl with cold water, submerge the green beans into the water, and swish them around to dislodge any dirt or impurities.
Lift them out of the water, leaving any dirt behind, and transfer them to a colander to drain. Once drained, pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel. Another favorite way I like to use them is in the chicken and green beans stir fry.
Why this recipe works?
The hot air of the air fryer rapidly caramelizes and chars the exterior, while leaving a bit of crunch in the center. It gives an incomparable flavor with a blistered appearance.
The wide, craggy panko provides more surface area. adding major crunch. The glutamate in parmesan cheese, adds an unparalleled umami flavor as in mushroom fried rice.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Green beans – Look for fresh firm and not floppy or limp ones.
- Olive oil - Helps with the blooming of spices and also creates a brown exterior.
- Seasonings – Salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Panko - Gives a light and crispy coating.
- Parmesan cheese - To make life really easy, I use store-bought shredded parmesan from the refrigerator section in the supermarket.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
Wash, pat dry, and trim the ends of green beans.
Tip: Pat them dry. Any water clinging to the beans will make them steam instead of roasting.
2 & 3. Toss them with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper, until thoroughly combined.
Pro tip: The oil is a conductor of heat and promotes good browning.
4. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F for 10 minutes. Place green beans, spreading them out as evenly as possible, to prevent a build-up of steam, and cook for 4 minutes.
Pro tip: Preheating the air fryer ensures the vegetable will start sizzling as soon as they hit the fryer, to help develop a flavorful browning.
5 & 6. Add panko breadcrumbs and olive oil into a small bowl and stir well with a spoon or fingertips until thoroughly combined. Stir in parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
Tip: To make ahead, store prepared breadcrumb topping in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
7 & 8. Open the air fryer, shake the basket a couple of times (for even cooking), and spread them to a single layer. Sprinkle panko-parmesan evenly on top and continue cooking for 5 to 8 minutes or the topping gets golden brown in color and green beans around the edges of the basket get a char.
Tip: Open the basket, and let cool for 3 to 5 minutes to continue crisping up before serving.
How to serve?
This air fryer green beans recipe makes a great side dish with any main course or just as a snack in my home. It's that addictive!
Storage and Reheating instructions
This air fryer green beans is absolutely at it's best served in a few times after cooking and trust me, you will not have any leftovers. If you do, then place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To reheat: Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees. Place beans in a single layer and sprinkle any remaining parmesan breadcrumb mixture on top and cook until it is hot and crisp.
- Place in a single layer - Make sure that the veggies are in a single layer so that they caramelize instead of steaming.
- Air fryer size -I cooked one pound in a 6-quart Instant Vortex which was just the perfect size. If using a smaller appliance, then cook in two batches.
- Cook till golden brown - Cook until the topping gets a golden brown color. It makes it crispy and delicious.
- Resting time - Open the basket and let the cooked veggie cool for 3 to 5 minutes before serving, this helps to crisp up the topping even further.
- Serve hot - It is crispy and irresistible when hot.
Green beans generally do not need to be soaked before cooking. You can simply rinse them under cold water to remove any dirt or debris, then trim the ends if desired. However, if your beans look like it has some dirt, then submerge them into a large bowl filled with water, and swish them around to loosen any dirt or impurities. Lift them, leaving any dirt behind, and transfer them to a colander, and then pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel.
To prepare, snap off the stem ends (with your hands or cut with a knife) of the bean, pulling off the stringy fibrous thread. An easier approach is to line the beans up on a cutting board and trim the ends with a large knife.
Young beans might not have any of the fibrous thread. The other pointy end is perfectly fine to eat, but you could chop that off if you wish.
I recommend using fresh ones for the perfect texture and crunch. However, if you want to use frozen ones, then rinse them in a colander under running water, until they are almost thawed. Dry with a kitchen towel and then proceed with the recipe.
More roasted vegetables
Air Fryer Green Beans
- Wash, pat dry and trim gyour reen beans. Tip: Pat them dry. Any water clinging to the beans will make them steam instead of roasting.
- Toss them with olive oil, salt, garlic powder and pepper, until thoroughly combined.
- Pre heat air fryer to 380°F for 10 minutes. Place green beans (spreading them out as evenly as possible) and cook for 4 minutes.Pro tip: Preheating the air fryer ensures the vegetable will start sizzling as soon as they hit the fryer, to help develop a flavorful browning.
- Open air fryer, shake the basket couple of times (for even cooking), spread them aain into a single layer. sprinkle, panko-parmesan evenly on top and continue cooking for 5 to 8 minutes . Tip: You want the topping get a golden brown color, and green beans around the perimeter of the basket get a good char.
- Open basket, let cool for 3 to 5 minutes to continue crisping up before serving. These are so addictive, don't be surprised if you can't stop eating them before it reaches the dinner table.
- Add panko breadcrumbs and olive oil into a small bowl and stir well with a spoon or fingertips until thoroughly combined. Stir in parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, if using.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com