These Air Fryer Kale Chips stays green, perfectly crispy, made in under 6 minutes and makes a healthy snack. This fool proof homemade recipe is addictive just like potato chips but much healthier!
Air Fryer Kale Chips
It come together with just three ingredients — fresh kale, salt, and olive oil. These are crunchy, seasoned to your liking, packed with nutrition, very low in calories and addictive!
Homemade is always better than store bought, right? With the simplicity and ease of the recipe, you can skip any preservatives or additives found in packaged foods and go for a freshly made chips at home.
It is not only super quick and easy, but the texture is amazing that you won't be able to stop with one.
What I love about this healthy snack:
- Fast: Kale chips are so EASY and fast to make, especially when made in the air fryer! It cooks so fast when compared to oven baking.
- Healthy: They have a fraction of the fat of regular potato chips, so you can eat a lot of them. They are packed with nutrition, is a great way to get your serving of veggies and is good for weight loss since they add less in calories and does not promote weight gain.
- Allergy friendly - They are vegan, gluten free, keto, low carb and very low in calories.
- Inexpensive: Fresh kale is really cheap at the grocery store and there is no additional ingredients needed other than salt and olive oil.
Are kale chips healthy?
It is a superfood! These chips are vegan, gluten free, low in calories, high in fiber, packed with healthy vitamins, minerals, calcium and antioxidants. Since these are air fried, they don't use a lot of oil and is a great substitute for potato chips.
Can these baked instead?
Absolutely! Prep greens as instructed and place in a baking sheet. Bake in pre heated 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 mins, until crispy. Watch closely as it can burn easily.
How long will they stay crispy?
Typically, this will only stay very crispy when hot and begin to loose some of the crispness in the next 1 to 2 days. You could pop them back into the air fryer for a couple minutes to make them crispy again.
Use only leaves and not the stalk
Since the stalk is very tough, be sure to remove the leaves from the stalk and then discard it.
We are keeping it simple with a healthy pinch of sea salt! For additional flavor, you might try playing around with some of these seasoning ideas:
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Cayenne pepper
- Nutritional Yeast
- Garlic powder
- Cumin powder
- Garlic and Onion powder
- Chaat masala
- Maple syrup
- Salt and Vinegar
- Sour cream and onion (use sour cream powder)
- Parmesan cheese
- Ranch seasoning
- Everything bagel seasoning
The simple ingredients you need to make these crispy snack include-
- Kale: We like to use organic bunch instead of the pre cut kind.
- Oil: Olive or avocado oil works best. You don’t need much oil, just enough to lightly coat the leaves.
- Salt: As with any good chip, these require a healthy pinch of salt.
How To Prep?
- Clean and dry - Rinse well so that it is free of any dirt and make sure that it’s completed dried. Extra moisture will not result in crispy chips!
- Remove the leaves from the rib - You can cut the leaves off the rib with a knife or simply tear them apart with your fingers.
- Tear into bite-sized pieces - Tear them into even bite size pieces ( 1 to 2 inches).
Pro Tips for success
- Slide the kale leaves off the ribs. It’s much easier and faster to use your fingers instead of a knife.
- Tear chips a little larger - They will shrink some after air frying, so tear them a little larger than you want your chips to be.
- Use the right amount of oil - Excess oil might make them soggy and not crispy.
- Keep a close eye on them. These cook fast! They can crisp up in as little as 3 minutes or sometimes take up to 5 minutes. Keep a close eye after the 3 minute mark.
- Cook 1 bunch - Simply cook in two batches.
How to make?
This recipe is almost as easy as opening a bag of your favorite chips!
- Prep - Washing and dry the kale, then remove the leaves from the stem and tear them into bite size pieces.
- Season - Massage the leaves with oil and salt. You could use any type of seasoning that you desire.
- Air Fry - Cook at 375 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice in between to make sure that they cook evenly. Check after 3 minutes as they'll cook up fast.
How to store?
Though best served fresh, they can also be saved for later! Let them cool completely. Then store in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days at room temperature, they begin to lose the crispness after that. If they are less crunchy, air fry again for a minute or two.
How to serve?
Eat them for a mid-morning, afternoon snack or as a side with eggs or burger, air fryer naan pizza for lunch or dinner.
Frequently asked questions
Cool them completely before storing. Store in an air tight container for up to 2 days. They can also be air fried for 1 to 2 minutes to crisp up.
They tend to get soggy if not dried well or if too much oil is used.
No! It is best to store them at room temperature. Storing in the refrigerator will cause them to loose the crispness.
No! It is less likely to loose any nutrients when air frying when compared to other methods of cooking and healthier since it uses less oil yet get all the healthy antioxidants.
Not necessarily! These can be enjoyed just as salted potato chips, however if you wish to enjoy them with a dip, then garlic herb sauce, cilantro sauce or spicy yogurt sauce.
More Healthy Air Fryer vegetables to try-
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob <--- with 3 Flavored Butters
- Breaded Mushrooms in Air Fryer
Follow me on INSTAGRAM, TIK TOK, FACEBOOK or PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Crispy Air Fryer Kale Chips
- ½ bunch kale about 4 to 5 ounce
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Wash kale and pat dry thoroughly. Cut the leaves away from the spine and tear into bit size pieces.
- Add olive oil and salt and mix with your hands to make sure that it is thoroughly combined.
- Pre heat air fryer to 375°F. When hot, add kale into the basket, without overlapping too much.
- Air Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice in between to crisp evenly. Keep a close eye on them after 3 minutes ( they will crisp up really fast in the last couple of minutes). They are done when crisp.
- Season with more salt or your favorite seasonings and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
Leave a Reply