Moist Eggless Carrot Cake Recipe - Simple to make from scratch, perfectly delicious with lots of fresh carrots, toasted pecans and raisins. It's heavenly topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting.
Eggless Carrot Cake
Carrot cake is a fabulous option not only for Easter but also for birthdays. It's a great birthday cake when you want have a cake but with less guilt! My favorite part of a one layer cake is that it is perfect when you are celebrating with just your family and don't want to bake a big layer cake.
This cake without eggs is quick, uses no pineapple, easy to make, and utterly delicious. You can make this quickly without any of fancy equipment but also a cinch to make like this almond flour carrot muffin recipe. So if you’re looking for an egg free make-ahead dessert whose taste and texture won’t be compromised, make this! A total classic. You might also love this much easier carrot cake in a mug.
Secret to Moist Cake
- Buttermilk - Buttermilk is a tenderizer, making baked goods moist right from the start. It also keeps it from being too sweet and gives it a rich, buttery taste.
- Oil - Butter makes a great tasting dessert, however a recipe that has tons of flavor from other ingredients like this, a flavorless oil works amazing in making a moist baked product. Another bonus with using oil, it stays soft even when served cold.
- Brown sugar - Carrot cake recipes are generally sweetened with mostly white granulated sugar. This just sweetens it whereas brown sugar adds moisture and also a deep molasses flavor. The balance of a combination added much needed sweetness, moisture and caramel notes!
- Finely grated carrots - Carrots grated in the coarse side of the box grater, adds so much more moisture. Please do not use pre shedded carrots.
Can I make into a layer cake?
Sure can! Double the cake batter recipe to make two 8-inch cakes (bake in two pans) and double the frosting recipe (we recommend tripling the frosting recipe if frosting on the sides as well).
What does it taste like?
It's deeply moist, not overly sweet, looks dense yet soft, hearty with lots of carrots, pecans and raisins (it's "almost" a healthy dessert). Most of the flavor comes from grated carrot, pecans, cinnamon and vanilla.
How to toast pecans?
Toasting the pecans is optional, but you won’t regret doing it. Toasting creates an unparalleled deep nutty flavor. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let them cool down completely before storing. We love to make big batch and store for snacking.
How to make buttermilk?
If you are out of buttermilk, then it is very easy to make your own in a pinch – Mix ½ cup regular milk and 1 and ½ tablespoons of white vinegar or lemon juice. Let it stand for about 10 minutes. Stir before using.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Ain't a carrot cake without cream cheese frosting! It's smooth, tangy and is the perfect topping. All you need is block style cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
How to make into a birthday cake?
Make into a layered cake, triple the frosting recipe, spoon some into a piping bag (refrigerate for about 30 minutes to firm up), pipe swirls around the edge and sprinkle the top with rainbow sprinkles.
The ingredients you need are simple and you will most probably have most of them in your kitchen right now! The full recipe is below, but here is a quick overview:
Regular baking ingredients like all purpose flour, baking soda for leavening, ground cinnamon & vanilla extract for flavoring, vegetable oil, white & brown sugar, buttermilk for moistness, lots of finely grated carrots, toasted chopped pecans and golden raisins.
Pro Tips for Success
Pecans and raisins are optional! I know that some people love nuts and raisins in carrot cake, while others cannot stand to add them. These are completely optional, so go with what you love.
Toasted pecans adds a nutty, delicious flavor. Don't use raw pecans.
Do not use pre shedded carrots. Grate the carrots using the fine side of your box grater.
Use chopped walnuts instead of pecans.
Use a flavorless oil like vegetable or canola oil.
Raisins are optional.
Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Since this is made without eggs which is a key binding ingredient, the cake might have a tendency to break without the parchment.
Make sure that butter and cream cheese is softened to room temperature for a creamy frosting.
How to make?
This is pretty easy, but let’s walk through the process together.
Make batter - Whisk all purpose flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Whisk white sugar, brown sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract together until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Stir dry into wet ingredients and then followed by finely grated carrots, chopped pecans and raisins.
Bake - Transfer batter into a greased and parchment lined round pan, spread evenly and bake at 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C for about 30 minutes. Cool completely.
Make cream cheese frosting - Using a hand held electric beater, beat cream cheese and butter, until creamy and fluffy. Add confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and salt, beat until creamy and light.
Frost - Using a flat spatula or the back of a spoon, spread frosting on top and sprinkle chopped toasted pecans on top.
How to store?
A cream cheese frosted dessert needs to be technically refrigerated, but most bakers (even professional ones) are okay with leaving at room temperature for a day or two (if it is not a hot summer day).
If you wish to store longer, then refrigerate for up to 5 days. Leave at room temperature for at-least an hour before serving.
How to freeze?
This is a great recipe to be made ahead! Wrap the cooled layer in plastic wrap and then in freezer safe gallon bag. Seal well and freeze for up to 2 months. Leave overnight at room temperature before frosting.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! You can simply leave out the raisins or use dark raisins instead.
Use very thick plain greek yogurt instead of cream cheese.
Sure can! Simply skip the pecans to make with no nuts.
Yes! The cake will turn out thinner but still be delicious.
More easy Cake recipes to try:
- Air Fryer Banana Cake
- Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
- Banana Sheet Cake
- Mug Cakes without Eggs
- Almond Flour Cake
Follow me on INSTAGRAM, TIK TOK, FACEBOOK or PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Eggless Carrot Cake - One Layer
- 1 cup 125 g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 120 ml vegetable oil
- ½ cup 120 ml buttermilk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar 75 g
- ¼ cup packed golden brown sugar 50 g
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and ¼ cups finely grated carrot 162 g, about 3 medium
- ½ cup 62 g chopped toasted pecans, additional for topping
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 ounces 56 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons 29 g unsalted butter, room tempearture
- ¾ cup 90 g confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F (177° C), grease a 8-inch round baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Add all dry ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add all wet ingredients into a larger bowl and whisk for about 1 minute, until smooth. Fold in the dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined (DO NOT OVER MIX). Stir in the carrots, chopped pecans and raisins.
- Transfer batter into the prepared cake pan, spread evenly and bake for 27 to 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely,
- Add cream cheese and butter into a medium bowl, beat with a electric beater (on high) for about 1 minute or until light and creamy.
- Add confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and salt, beat for an additional minute or fluffy.
Spread frosting on top of the cake and sprinkle chopped toasted pecans on top.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
Leave a Reply