BEST Almond Flour Mug Cake is simple, light and has the perfect texture - It is the Easiest single serve cake, high in protein and cooks in under 2 minutes.
Almond Flour Mug Cake
This recipe is a microwave, quick, easy, single serve version of our hugely popular Almond Flour Cake. It’s gluten-free, high protein, low carb, healthy (almost) and addictive! I hope you love it as much as we do.
As much as we love microwave cakes, it can be usually served only in the mug. This recipe is amazing since it can be removed from the mug and served on a plate with toppings as a single serve dessert.
Why are you going to love this recipe?
- Quick and Easy - Simply stir all ingredients in a coffee cup and cook for 2 minutes. Can't get simpler than that!
- Single Serve - All microwave recipes are generally single serving, which makes it perfect for a light snack or dessert.
- High Protein - This has 12 grams of protein which mainly comes from almond flour and one whole egg. We sometimes like to serve this as a breakfast muffin.
- Amazing texture - It has the texture of a sponge cake that is light and fluffy in texture.
The time can vary with different microwaves and also with different cup sizes. It takes 1 minute + 50 seconds if using a wider mug and 2 minutes if using a narrow mug. The first time you make this muffin, watch your microwave. If removed earlier then it might not have enough height and might get a touch dry if over cooked.
Can you prepare the batter in advance?
We would not recommend preparing the batter in advance, as the ingredients will absorb the egg and it will become dry. Since this is one of most easiest baking recipes, it is super easy to make before cooking.
- Vanilla ice cream
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Sweetened greek yogurt
- Fresh blueberries, raspberries or strawberries
- Banana slices
- Chocolate syrup
- Almond Flour - It iss finely ground blanched almonds and can be easily found in all major grocery stores or Amazon. Like for all almond flour dessert recipes, make sure you use “Super Fine” for the recipe.
- Egg - One large egg, like in pumpkin mug cake.
- Brown Sugar - Golden brown sugar gave the perfect color and taste for the recipe.
- Coconut Oil - Melted coconut oil or use vegetable oil.
- Vanilla extract - Adds flavoring and removes the eggy taste.
Pro Tips for Success
Use SUPER FINE almond flour, like in almond flour brownies.
Do not use almond meal instead – Meal is much more coarser and also contains almond skin. So, the texture and taste varies.
Use golden brown sugar – We have tried this recipe with both dark and golden brown sugar and preferred the taste with the golden variety.
Variations – Use almond extract instead of vanilla.
Don’t use a huge mug - It will make the cake not as tall.
Play around with the cook time that works best for your microwave – which cooks around 2 minutes. Less time will not make them as tall and over cooking might make them a little dry.
Stir batter until lump free – Using a spoon, stir the batter until smooth and no lumps remain.
Type of mug to use – Any microwave safe coffee mug. The batter will rise significantly when cooking. So, make sure that mug is big enough but not a huge one.
Use vegetable oil instead of coconut oil.
How to make?
This is one of the super easy flourless, gluten free dessert recipe to make. Simply stir melted coconut oil, egg, almond flour, baking powder, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a coffee cup, until lump free. Microwave for around 2 minutes.
How to serve?
Simple - Serve in the mug topped with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Make it fancy - Run a butter knife or a thin spatula around the edge to loosen the cake and gently invert on a small plate. Decorate with whipped cream and berries. Slice and serve.
Almond Flour Mug Cake
- Add coconut oil into a microwave safe coffee mug and microwave for a few seconds until melted (don't let it get hot).
- Remove mug from microwave and add all other ingredients and stir thoroughly with a spoon.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 50 seconds for a wide mug OR 2 minutes for a regular size mug.
- Remove from microwave and let rest for about a minute.
- Simple – Serve in the mug topped with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Make it fancy – Run a butter knife or a thin spatula around the edge to loosen the cake and gently invert on a small plate. Decorate with whipped cream and berries. Slice and serve.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com