This Oreo Mug Cake is rich with an exceptional crumb, that is beautifully tender and moist, made using crushed Oreo cookies, and is ready in 3 minutes. It has so much more flavor than the viral Tik Tok recipe and is heavenly topped with whipped cream.
I wanted an Oreo mug cake that was not greasy and produced a rich, decadent chocolate cake. If you are on Tiktok, then you might have seen the viral recipe that is made with just 2 ingredients - crushed Oreos and milk. It is convenient but I wanted something exceptional!
It's perfect with a glass of milk, or is it better to paraphrase, "Milk and cake, anyone?" Although this is not as quick and easy as the Tiktok version, it is an amazingly decadent recipe that I hope you give a try soon.
Why this recipe works?
For a deep chocolate flavor and color, I use a combination of Dutch-processed cocoa, which offers assertive chocolate flavor, and finely ground Oreos contributes the right amount of fat, sugar, and complexity.
The additional flour gives structure, baking powder lifts it up in two stages and oil keeps everything moist!
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Oreo cookies - Use classic Oreo cookies. I haven't tested the recipe with other varieties like double stuffed or different flavors.
- All-purpose flour - It provides structure and helps to contain the gas during rising, resulting in a light and airy texture, like in mocha mug cake.
- Sugar - A bit of white sugar accentuates the sweetness of Oreos.
- Cocoa powder - Use Dutch-processed cocoa which has been neutralized to remove some of the acidic notes and also has more fat than natural cocoa.
- Baking powder - Double-acting baking powder begins to work as soon as it gets mixed with the wet ingredients.
- Milk - Whole milk adds richness and flavor in the Oreo mug cake.
- Oil - A neutral vegetable oil, allows the Oreo flavor to really shine.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
- Crush cookies - Place 4 cookies in a ziplock bag and crush them into a fine powder using a meat mallet, hammer, or a rolling pin.
Tip: Make sure to crush them into a fine powder and no visible chunks remain.
2. Whisk dry ingredients – Add crushed cookies, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into a microwave-safe cup. Mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Mix wet ingredients – Mix in milk and vegetable oil to make a smooth batter.
Tip: Mix until very smooth to make sure that all ingredients are evenly distributed and the cake bakes up soft and tender.
4. Cook – Microwave for 90 seconds.
How to Serve?
While this oreo mug cake is terrific warm as is, a few toppings like sweetened whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, Nutella, Chocolate syrup and fresh berries will elevate this dessert.
For an even more Oreo flavor and texture, I topped it with crushed cookies.
- Stir batter until lump free – Using a spoon, stir the batter until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Best eaten hot – As with microwave desserts, it tends dry out a little when left at room temperature. So, enjoy it hot!
- Crush cookies very fine - Make sure that the cookies are finely crushed and powdery for the best texture.
Unfortunately no. The baking powder begins to produce carbon do oxide as soon as it comes into contact with the wet ingredients, and then again when heated. So, the Oreo mug cake batter has to be cooked immediately after mixing, to achieve the fluffy texture.
Place 4 cookies in a small zip lock bag, seal, and crush using a meat mallet or hammer. If you do not own a meat mallet then you can use a rolling pin, back of a heavy flat-bottomed skillet, or pan.
Alternatively, you can use a small Nutribullet, mini food processor, or dry grinder. Make sure to crush them into a powder and not in chunks.
For that classic milk and cookies combination, go for milk. Water cannot add that richness and flavor that milk does.
More mug cakes
Oreo Mug Cake
- whipped cream
- 1 oreo cookie crushed
- Place 4 oreos in a small zip lock bag, seal and crush using a meat mallet, hammer or the back of a heavy skillet. Make sure to crush into a powder.Tip: Make sure to crush them into a fine powder and no visible chunks remain.
- Add crushed Oreos, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a microwave safe mug and stir with a spoon until mixed well. Add milk and oil, mix until well combined.Tip: Mix until very smooth to make sure that all ingredients are evenly distributed and the cake bakes up soft and tender.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Serve hot with a scoop of whipped cream and more crushed oreos.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.