This Lemon Mug Cake is one of the easiest dessert recipes that cooks in under 2 minutes! It is a soft and fluffy eggless recipe made right in the microwave.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Lemon Mug cake
This Lemon Cake in a mug is incredibly soft, light, fluffy and made from scratch. My family loves this for a quick weeknight dessert when I’m not in the mood to bake an entire cake. It is quick, easy, single serving and is made without eggs. It uses no extract and no fancy ingredients–just fresh-squeezed, real lemon flavor.
A delicious no butter single serve dessert that can be enjoyed without a glaze. But, if you wish then simply stir together some confectioners sugar with a dash of fresh juice until smooth and reached the consistency of glaze.
Why you'll love this recipe?
- Cooks in Microwave - No turning on the oven or stove top.
- Quick and Easy - Ready in about 2 minutes and all ingredients are mixed in the mug, making clean up a breeze.
- Perfect summer dessert - Made with fresh citrus and topped with sweet ripe blueberries, this is perfect for the season.
- Single serve - My favorite part of all mug cakes.
Can I use water instead of milk?
You could, but we highly recommend NOR DOING SO! Milk adds richness (this is a dessert after all) and more flavor when compared to just water.
Use only fresh juice
The only flavoring in the dessert is from fresh lemon juice. So, please do not use the bottled kind.
I don't see zest in the ingredients?
Yes! We tried various proportions of zest, but it tends to add bitterness due the small portion size of the cake. Hence this recipe does not call for zest! If you wish to pack a more lemony flavor, then we recommend topping the finished gateau with a lemon glaze.
Can I use lemon extract?
This is a single serve dessert recipe that might become way too lemony when using extract. The juice used adds enough tanginess and flavor. So, there is no need for extract.
What does lemon do to a cake?
The juice not only adds a bright citrusy flavor, but also works to activate the baking powder and creates a little extra softness to the cake.
How long to cook?
Cooking time depends on the size of mug used. It takes 1 minute + 40 seconds if using a wider mug and 1 minute + 45 seconds if using a narrow mug.
Some MICROWAVE baked cake recipes might get a little dry if left at room temperature for a long period of time. So, we highly recommend enjoying it hot.
Basic baking ingredients like all purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, milk, vegetable oil along with freshly squeezed juice.
Pro Tips for Success
- Make it vegan - Use with plant based milk like almond milk.
- Stir batter until lump free – Using a spoon, stir the batter until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Measure the flour correctly - Adding too much or too less is the most common mistake in a baking recipe. The best and easiest way to measure flour is to fluff the flour with a spoon, sprinkle it into your measuring cup, and use a knife to level it off. If you scoop the flour straight from the bag, you overpack the measuring cup.
- Microwaves differ – This recipe was tested in two different microwaves and it took 105 seconds in one and 125 seconds in the other.
- Best eaten hot – Enjoy this HOT! As with microwave desserts, some might dry out a little when left at room temperature.
- Poppy seed - Stir in 1 to 2 teaspoons poppy seeds into the batter.
- Use lime juice instead.
How to make?
- Stir dry - Stir all purpose flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt together in a microwave safe coffee mug.
- Stir wet - Mix milk, oil and freshly squeezed juice, mix until smooth and lump free.
- Cook - Microwave for one minute and 45 seconds.
How to serve?
Enjoy this made from scratch recipe, HOT as soon as you remove from the microwave with big scoop of sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Vanilla ice cream
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Fresh blueberries, raspberries or strawberries
- Banana slices
- Sweetened greek yogurt
- Fresh zest
- Lemon Glaze - Stir together 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar and about ½ teaspoon lemon juice until smooth and drizzle over hot cake.
Frequently asked questions
The recipe makes one serving and it contains 661 calories.
As with all microwave cakes, it is best eaten hot. They tend to get dry if left at room temperature for some time. The best part of this recipe, it serves one person, so there is no need to worry about leftovers.
Yes, however we found that most of it sank to the bottom upon cooking. So, we opted for topping the finished dessert with fresh blueberries instead.
More Summer desserts to try:
- Strawberry and Cream
- Mango kulfi
- One Layer Carrot Cake
- Mango Crisp
- Chocolate Cherry Drink
- Kulfi Ice cream
More mug cakes to try
- Mocha Mug Cake
- Apple Mug Cake
- Chai Mug Cake
- Almond Flour Mug Cake with Egg
- Black Forest Mug Cake
- Mango Mug Cake
- Nutella Brownie Mug Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1. Add all dry ingredients into a microwave safe mug, stir well with a spoon or fork. Add all wet ingredients, mix well until smooth (don't over mix).
2. Cook in microwave for one minute and 45 seconds (longer might make the cake dry) for a standard coffee mug and one minute and 40 seconds for a wider mug.
3. Serve hot topped with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream and fresh blueberries.
Best eaten hot – Enjoy this HOT! Microwave cakes might dry out a little when left at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. The information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com, although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health and ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.