Eggless Apple Mug Cake uses a clever technique to pack one whole Apple in one mug cake!!! It is Soft, Fluffy and is an easy microwave apple dessert. A must try Fall recipe.
You know we love our Mug cakes. They are easy, quick and makes a small serving when you are craving for a sweet treat. Couple of our favorites include Mug Cake with Oats or banana mug cake.
This recipe uses a clever and an unusual technique which is revolutionary! It helps to make it incredibly soft, fluffy with loads of apple in a small mug.
Chopped apples are cooked first in the microwave for couple of minutes before making the mug cake batter. This helps
- To concentrate the flavor
- Cooks them tender (otherwise the apples does not have a chance to cook in the short 2 minute period).
- Able to pack in more fruit
Apple Mug Cake is
- Single serving
- Late night munchy
- Quick snack / dessert
- Microwave cooking
- No eggs
- Perfect for cold Fall nights
Basic Cake ingredients like all purpose flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, milk and vanilla extract.
Apple - Peel, core and chop apple into ¼-inch cubes
Step-1: Add chopped apple into a microwave safe mug. Cook for 2 minutes.
Step-2: Mix in butter until melted and then followed by milk.
Step-3: Mix in flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract. Mix well and microwave for about 2 minutes. Remove and enjoy.
Mug size - Both large or medium size microwave safe mugs work for this recipe. However, it is easier to mix the batter in a larger one.
Cooking time - Wide mug - 1 min and 50 seconds
Medium mug (as shown in pictures) - 2 minutes
Best apples to use - We used Gala variety. Honey crisp, Fuji are also delicious additions. You want to choose a fruit that is crisp, sweet and tart.
Sugar - Amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of the apple used. We used Gala and 2 tablespoons sugar was perfect.
Stir batter until lump free – Using a spoon, stir the cake batter until smooth and no lumps remain.
Best eaten hot – Enjoy this cake HOT! As with mug cakes, some might dry out a little when left at room temperature.
Room temperature butter is recommended. Cold butter reduces the temperature of apples drastically and affects the texture in the finished product.
The cake tends to shrink slightly as soon as you remove from the microwave. So, we recommend opening the microwave after 10 to 20 seconds when cooking time is done.
- Use cinnamon instead of vanilla extract
- Use warm Fall spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or cardamom instead of vanilla
Enjoy cake HOT as soon as you remove from the microwave. Optional toppings include whipped cream, ice cream or caramel sauce.
More mug cakes recipes to try:
Microwave Apple Mug Cake - No Eggs
- 1 cup chopped apples peel, core and chop into ¼-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Wash, peel, core an apple and chop into ¼-inch cubes.
- Add chopped apple into a microwave safe coffee mug (preferably a large mug). Microwave for 2 minutes (this step helps to cook the apple and also concentrates the flavor).
- Remove mug from microwave, stir in butter, until it is fully melted and then mix in milk (this helps to cool down the apples slightly).
- Add remaining ingredients and mix very well, until thoroughly combined.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 50 seconds for a wide mug OR 2 minutes for regular mug (as shown in photos).
- When done cooking, do not open the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds. Remove cake after that and enjoy hot! (this additional few seconds helps the cake not shrink at all).
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
Made this just now, cooked apple and butter together because I couldn’t wait for the butter to soften 🤣 used 1 T sugar and maybe 1/8 t or so of cinnamon. Very good! Keeping this one! 🍎
Hi Teri, Sounds great, glad you liked the mug cake, Maria
Any tips for using almond or coconut flour instead?
Hi Amy, We wouldn't recommend using gluten free flours in this recipe. However, you can check out this Mug cake recipe using almond flour instead. Hope it helps - Maria