This Air Fryer Apple Crisp is made with a cinnamon-laced apple filling, covered in a perfectly crispy, crumbly, nutty oat-almond topping, and serves two - Utterly delicious with vanilla ice cream!
I wanted an air fryer apple crisp packed with fresh juicy apples, topped with a buttery, nutty, crumbly topping that is crunchy and provide the perfect counterpoint when served with vanilla ice cream.
I absolutely love baking with fruits to create delicious sweet treats. When fruits are baked, they become sweeter and softer, adding an extra layer of deliciousness. Pairing them with a crispy topping takes their flavors to the next level, creating a mouthwatering combination that is simply irresistible, baked mango or mango crumble recipe.
What is Apple Crisp? In a more simple form, it is a dessert made of chopped apples, topped with a streusel topping, and then baked, very similar to peach crumble recipe.
However, unlike healthy apple crumble, making a dish with juicy cooked fruit along with a golden crispy topping in an air fryer was tricky, because air fryer cooks food fast on the top, which sometimes does not have enough time for the fruit to soften. So, I developed two clever hacks to solve the problem.
Why this recipe works?
Traditional baked crisp recipes are cooked slowly in the oven, which yields soft, luscious fruits that is saucy. However, the air fryer cooks food by blowing hot air, which does not have enough time for the fruits to soften underneath the crisp topping.
To solve this, I cut the apple into small pieces, about ¼ inch in size. Then, I add some water to the filling. This creates steam, which helps cook the fruit while the topping develops a nice golden color.
I also use almond flour instead of wheat flour, which not adds a healthier twist, but also elevates the nuttiness.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Apple – Like in apple waffles recipe or apple bread, I like to use Fuji, Honey crisp, Jonagold, Braeburn or Golden delicious variety.
- Oats – Old-fashioned oats or rolled oats adds texture.
- Almond Flour - Unlike almond flour blueberry muffins, both super fine and almond meal will work for this air fryer apple crisp and all almond flour dessert recipes.
- Sugar – Golden brown sugar adds caramelly notes and white sugar makes the topping crisp.
- Butter - Use sold coconut oil, to make it healthier.
Best apples to use - The best apples to use are ones that are firm, sweet and crisp. I prefer fruits that hold its shape after the intense cooking like Gala, Fuji, Jonagold, Braeburn, Pink Lady, or Honey crisp (refer more on this here).
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
1.Peel, core and chop apples into ¼-inch cubes. Add into a greased baking dish along with brown sugar, water, cinnamon and salt. Stir well until well combined and spread evenly.
Pro tip: To peel or not to peel? I prefer peeling off the skin since air frying does not soften the skin as much when compared to oven baking, like in baked peaches.
2 & 3. Add oats, almond flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt into a separate medium bowl and stir to combine. Cut cold butter into small chunks and mix into the oat mixture with your fingertips, until all butter is evenly distributed. Stir in sliced almonds.
Tip: Use 3 tablespoons all purpose flour instead of almond flour.
4. Sprinkle topping on top of the apples and spread until they form an even layer. Air fry at 350°F for 30 minutes, until the top is golden.
How to serve?
Like my air fryer bread pudding, this is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Occasionally, I like to enjoy this air fryer apple crisp with some sweetened Greek yogurt for a light fall breakfast.
Storage and reheating
To store leftovers, cover pan tightly with tinfoil or plastic warp and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days. It can be enjoyed cold straight from the fridge or reheated!
To reheat - Place baking pan (remove the foil or plastic wrap), in a preheated 300-degree air fryer for 5 to 8 minutes or until warmed through.
- Make it healthy. Use solid coconut oil instead of butter.
- Use super fine almond flour or almond meal.
- 2 large chopped apples measures about 2 and ¾ cups.
- Keep the chunks small. The fruit might not get cooked if cut into larger pieces.
- Adjust sugar, based on the sweetness of the fruit.
- Rotate pan halfway through air frying. It helps with even browning.
- Switch up the nuts. Use chopped walnuts or pecans instead of sliced almonds.
More air fryer desserts
Air Fryer Apple Crisp
- Baking pan
- 2 large apples
- ¼ cup golden brown sugar not packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons old fashion Oats
- ¼ cup Almond Flour (or use 2 tablespoons all purpose flour)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons white or brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cold
- ¼ cup sliced almonds coarsely chopped
- Vanilla ice cream
- Peel, core and chop apples into ¼-inch cubes.Pro tip: To peel or not to peel? I prefer peeling off the skin since air frying does not soften the skin as much when compared to oven baking,
- Grease a 6-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or brush with butter.
- Add chopped apples and all other apple filling ingredients (brown sugar, water, cinnamon and salt) into the greased baking pan and stir well until well combined. Spread into an even layer. Set aside while you make the topping. Tip: Water creates steam, which helps cook the fruit while the topping develops a nice golden color.
- Add oats, almond flour, white or brown sugar and salt into a seperate medium bowl and stir to combine.Tip: Use 2 tablespoons all purpose flour instead of almond flour.
- Cut cold butter into small chunks and mix into the oat mixture with your finger tips, until all butter is evenly distributed. Stir in sliced almonds.
Assemble & Air fry
- Sprinkle topping on top of the apples and spread until they form an even layer.
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F for 30 minutes. Place baking pan into the basket when hot and continue cooking for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden. Tip: Rotate the pan half way through baking, so the top gets an even color.
- Gently remove pan from air fryer and place on a wire rack. Ladle warm apple crisp into bowls and top with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.