Air fryer Apple Fritters are made without yeast and makes a small batch! Skip deep frying and make this light and tender fritter that is loaded with chunks of fresh apples.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Air Fryer Apple Fritters
Yeast free Apple Fritters are perfect for when your family craves for something sweet yet, you are not in the mood to bake or deep fry. They are an easy mix and cook recipe that does not need an electric mixer or heating up hot oil.
Fall season is all about pumpkins and apples – Cozy and comforting with all the fall spices. You guys have been loving our Baked Apples made in the air fryer, that we decided o come up with another air fryer apple recipe.
WHAT IS AN APPLE FRITTER?
They are technically apple donuts. The most popular bakery kind are where chopped apples are mixed into leftover yeast donut scraps, deep fried and then glazed. However, some homemade versions include apples dipped in a simple batter and then cooked. Another fun creation called “Apple fritter rings” is where apples are cored, cut into rings, dipped into batter and then cooked, thus giving a more traditional donut look.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE?
- No deep frying – Making it so much healthier and is a time saver.
- No yeast dough – Old fashioned apple fritters are made with a yeast dough and then deep fried. If you are familiar working with yeast dough, then you know that it takes several hours for proofing and rising.
- Light and Tender
- Small Batch – Makes a single batch of 6 small ones.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS?
- The batter is made with egg yolk, which not only gives richness but also makes it tender.
- Brown sugar adds a touch of caramel notes that mimics an old fashion doughnut.
- Sour cream along with baking soda reacts during the cooking process, giving a nice lift.
- Cooking at two different temperatures ensures a light & fluffy donut.
- Butter gives a wonderful richness and flavor.
BEST APPLES TO USE
Varieties like Honey crisp, Gala, Granny smith are all delicious additions. You want to choose a fruit that is crisp, sweet and tart.
WHAT TEMPERATURE TO FRY?
TheY is “fried” at two different temperatures. The appliance is left to pre heat at 350° for 5 minutes and then cooked at 340°. The pre heating works similar to oven by making sure that the appliance is hot enough to kick start the “frying process” as soon as it is placed into it.
HOW TO REHEAT?
Place 1 to 3 glazed fritters (we do not recommend more) in a pre heated 350°F air fryer for 1 to 2 minutes (one minute if heating 1 fritter | 2 minutes if heating 3 fritters).
DON’T PREFER GLAZE?
Toss hot cooked fritters in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon and serve OR sprinkle confectioners sugar on top (make sure that fritters are not hot).
- Apple – Peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
- All purpose flour
- Sugar – Golden or light brown sugar (check out more desserts made with brown sugar).
- Leavening – Baking powder and baking soda
- Egg – Use only the yolk
- Dairy – Milk and sour cream
- Flavorings– Cinnamon, Vanilla extract and salt
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- What happens if you cook without the preheating? The fritters tend to be flatter and not as light and tender.
- Don’t over mix – As with all baking recipes, over mixing the batter tends to make a tougher baked product.
- Using yogurt – Use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Using greek yogurt – To use plain greek yogurt, use 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt plus 1 tablespoon water instead of sour cream.
- Air Fryer used – This recipe was tested in Instant Pot 6qt Vortex Air Fryer, cooking time may vary for other brands.
- Fritter size – About 1/4 cup measure was perfect to make 6 medium size fritters in our air fryer basket.
- Grease the air fryer basket well with non-stick cooking spray. This ensures that fritters do not stick.
- Be gentle when removing hot fritters from the air fryer basket.
Switch up the glaze (the recipe used here is our hugely popular doughnut glaze recipe)
- Use maple syrup instead of water
- Add a tablespoon of melted butter or brown butter to the glaze
- Use ground cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg instead of vanilla
- Use ground cardamom instead
HOW TO MAKE?
Step-1: Peel, core and chop an apple into 1/4-inch cubes.
Step-2: Whisk flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
Step-3: Whisk egg yolk, milk, sour cream and melted butter together.
Step-4: Mix wet ingredients along with flour mixture and then stir in chopped apples.
Step-1: Pre heat air fryer for 4 to 5 minutes at 350 degrees, while you prepare the batter.
Step-2: Drop about 1/4 cup measure fritters in a GREASED air fryer basket and then flatten them slightly. Cook for about 10 minutes at 340 degrees.
Mix confectioners sugar, water, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Drizzle glaze on top of fritters or dip the top of fritters into the glaze.
Let glaze set for couple of minutes before serving.
How Long Are these Good For?
These are best eaten as they are made. They taste and texture are best enjoyed while still warm. The best part about this recipe is that it just makes a small batch, hence you will not end up with any leftovers. However, if you have any leftover fritters then check for reheating instructions in recipe notes.
Can these be frozen?
This recipe makes a small batch of just 6 guys, that we don’t find a need to freeze. However, if you wish to freeze leftovers, then place cooled ones (without glaze) on a baking sheet and freeze until firm.
Transfer to a zip lock bag, seal well and freeze for up to a month. Reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees, until heated through. Glaze and serve.
- Chicken Nuggets
- Crispy Tilapia
- Garlic Bread
- Small Batch Air Fryer Muffins
- Garlic Wings
- Meatless Stuffed Mushrooms
- French Toast
- Chicken Parm
Frequently asked questions
Any crisp, sweet and tart apple that you love eating is perfect for an apple fritter. Some of our favorites are Honey crisp, Fuji, Gala, Granny smith or Golden delicious.
Unfortunately, these are best enjoyed right away when still warm.
These air fried fritters contains only 147 calories each.
More Air fryer Dessert Recipes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (or use thick plain yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 heaped cup chopped, peeled and cored apple (about 1 large), chop into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pre heat air fryer to 350°F for 5 minutes (the air fryer will run empty during this time, this helps to kick start the baking process). Prepare fritter batter in the mean time.
Make fritter batter
1. Whisk all dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Whisk all wet ingredients in a medium bowl, until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, (switch to a spoon) mix until just combined. Stir in chopped apples, until thoroughly combined.
Air fryer fritters
(The air fryer would have done pre heating by now)
1. Grease the air fryer basket really well with non-stick cooking spray. Using two spoons, drop about 1/4 cup batter in the basket (spacing evenly).
2. Using a wet spoon, flatten the top lightly to shape into a fritter (Spray the tops with a coating of non-stick spray for a more crispier fritter).
3. Cook in air fryer at 340°F for 10 to 11 minutes. Let fritters cool for at least a minute before removing gently from the basket.
1. Whisk all glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. Using a spoon drizzle glaze on the fritters. Let set for couple of minutes and enjoy hot!
How to reheat fritters in the air fryer? Place 1 to 3 glazed fritters (we do not recommend more) in a pre heated 350°F air fryer for 1 to 2 minutes (one minute if heating 1 fritter | 2 minutes if heating 3 fritters)
What happens if you cook without the preheating? The fritters tend to be flatter and not as light and tender.
Using yogurt – Use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
Using greek yogurt – To use plain greek yogurt, use 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt plus 1 tablespoon water instead of 2 tablespoons sour cream.
Air Fryer used – This recipe was tested in Instant Pot 6qt Vortex Air Fryer, cooking time may vary for other brands.
Best apples for apple fritters – Honey crisp, Gala, Granny smith are all delicious additions. You want to choose an apple that is crisp, sweet and tart.
Don’t prefer glaze? Toss hot cooked fritters in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon and serve OR sprinkle confectioners sugar on top (make sure that fritters are not hot).
Grease the air fryer basket well with non-stick cooking spray. This ensures that fritters do not stick.
Be gentle when removing hot fritters from the air fryer basket.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. The information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com, although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health and ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.