This Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake is like tasting a warm cookie made in just 90 seconds! It is light, fluffy and made without eggs.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake
All chocolate chip cookies need to be HOT!!! We have a serious love affair with mug cakes, especially the ones made with chocolate chips like this Banana Mug Cake.
They are a great option when you are craving something sweet but want something quick. How many times have you craved a warm chocolate chip cookie and reached for a store bought pack or worse, try to whip up a batch and have to wait for about an hour to eat one cookie? You get to enjoy a hot treat in about 2 minutes.
This tastes exactly like a chocolate chip cookie. No kidding. The key is in the melted butter and DARK brown sugar.
Use DARK BROWN SUGAR
The deep, complex molasses flavor of dark brown sugar is amazing. PLEASE DO NUT SUB WITH LIGHT/GOLDEN BROWN SUGAR (If you are a visual learner, then check out the video on youtube).
Why Is This is So Good?
- Tastes amazing - It is sweet with deep caramel notes and bits of melting dark chocolate. SO GOOD!
- Single serve - Portion control for the win like this Mocha Mug Cake or Chai Cake in a Mug.
- Eggless - As with all mug cake recipes, it is made without eggs.
- Made in under 2 minutes - It cooks in 90 seconds and about 30 seconds to make.
- Butter - Room temperature unsalted or salted butter.
- Flour - All purpose flour.
- Dark brown sugar - We HIGHLY RECOMMEND using dark brown sugar for its deep molasses flavor in this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips - Semi sweet or dark variety.
- Salt - A bit of salt elevates the taste.
- Milk - Whole milk, preferable
- Leavening - Baking powder
- Butter - Don't let the butter get too hot. Cook until just melted. If it gets hot, then let it cool down for about a minute before mixing in remaining ingredients.
- Use dark brown sugar - The deep molasses flavor in dark brown sugar make this cookie in a mug taste exactly like a warm decadent treat.
- Don't over mix - Like all baked goods over mixing develops gluten and makes a not-so-tender baked treat.
- Adjust salt if using salted butter.
- Enjoy Hot - As with all microwave recipes, it tends top get a little dry if eaten later. Hence, we recommend serving hot!
- Use room temperature butter - Cold butter takes longer to melt and the cup gets much hotter than needed. However, if you are using butter straight from the fridge, then proceed with the recipe and let mug (along with melted butter) cool slightly on the counter before mixing the remaining ingredients.
- Use Semi sweet chocolate - Bittersweet or unsweetened variety will compliment as well. Try staying away from milk variety as it make it too sweet.
- Don't skip salt - Finish the mug cake with a generous sprinkling of sea salt.
How To Make?
- Melt Butter - Add butter into a microwave cup and nuke until just melted (don't let it get too hot).
- Make Batter - Remove mug, add all other ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, DARK brown sugar and milk). Stir well with a fork and then mix in chips.
- Cook - Microwave for about 90 seconds. Top with more chips and finish with a pinch of sea salt.
How To Serve?
Enjoy hot with a glass of ice cold milk for the ultimate treat. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a quick dessert.
More Mug Cake Recipes to Try:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, not packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt + more for topping
- 2 ½ tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips + more for topping
- additional semi sweet chocolate chips
- additional salt
- Place butter in a large microwave safe coffee mug. Microwave until just melted (don't let get very hot) about 30- 60 seconds. (It melts faster in a wide mug and takes a bit longer in tall, narrow mug).
- Remove mug from microwave and add flour, dark brown sugar, milk, baking powder and salt. Stir well with a fork, until smooth. Stir in 2 ½ tablespoons chocolate chips.
- Microwave (on high) for 1 minute and 20 seconds for a wide mug (as shown in the picture) or 1 minute and 30 seconds for a tall, narrow mug. Cooking longer might make the cake drier!
- Remove from microwave, sprinkle more chocolate chips and salt.
- Eat chocolate chip cookie mug cake hot with a tall glass of cold milk! (This mug cake is intended to be enjoyed hot. As with butter based mug cake recipes, It tends to get a little dry as it sits)
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Follow me on INSTAGRAM, TIK TOK, FACEBOOK or PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
It looks real yummy & tasty
It sure is a yummy mug cake recipe, thank you:)
Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
I love your recipe Maria!! So funny how much we think alike hehehehe. It’s neat to see how different our recipes can be for similar treats 🙂 I will have to try yours out! Xoxo
Clearly both of us are thinking of mug cake recipes Kelly:)
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen
Is there anything better than a warm chocolate chip cookie? This is just happiness in a mug!
How much milk needs to be added?
Sorry about the error, i've fixed it now. It is 2 tablespoons milk. Thank you:)
These are amazing!! Perfect ratios, so easy and delicious! We had to adjust heating/cook time to microwave but these are great! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Thank you so much for trying, glad you liked it:)
Don’t forget the vanilla !
It was absolutely delicious for a midnight snack over winter break. 🙂
So glad that you loved it , happy holidays hun:)
I tried this with substitutions to lower the carbs. I used truvia brown sugar (you use 1/2 the amount of brown sugar called for), sugar free chocolate chips and low fat milk. The "cookie" turned out a little dry, perhaps from the substitutions or the flour I had to use was an ultra cheap generic brand or I may have overcooked it. Next time I will adjust. However, the taste was VERY good. It really satisfied my craving for chocolate chip cookies because a shop recently had a prominent display. Thanks.
I love the modifications! I'd suggest using a little lesser flour next time to make it more moister:)
this was so good! Highly recommend, though I didn't use dark brown sugar!
So glad that you loved it:)
I thought this was an amazing idea, but I couldn't get mine to work. Do you have any idea what I could have done wrong. also I used GF flour because I have celiacs, could that be why they didn't turn out?
Hi Elsa, I'm so sorry that you did not have a great outcome. My guess will be the same as well. This recipe is tested for the normal flour and not for gluten free kind. Here is a recipe for gluten free cookie mug cake that I found online - https://www.glutenfreepalate.com/gluten-free-chocolate-chip-mug-cookie-8-ingredients/. Hope it helps:)
LOVE IT!! I have been looking for a good mug cookie recipe for FOREVER. Like since the dawn of the microwave. Or at least since college. It’s moist, fluffy, and full of chocolates goodness. Sometimes I like to add a pinch of cinnamon.
YAY!!! So glad that you loved it, thank you for the kind words:)
This is delicious. And also dangerous if you are hoping to maintain a diet. I didn’t have dark brown sugar, only light, but is was still so yummy. I can definitely see how the dark brown sugar would be even better.
The first several times I made this recipe were excellent. I don't know what's going wrong now. The past several times I've made it, my result has been a weird goopy boiling mess 😭😭
Hmm.. that's strange. Are you using a different brand of something? Is it gluten free flour?