This Nutella Mug Cake cooks in 90 seconds! It is rich, deeply chocolatey, fudgy, and indulgently moist. All it takes is just 4 ingredients, to satisfy your chocolate craving!
Mug cakes are not all created equal. I’m fussy about mine and make no apologies about it – there are a lot of calories in this dessert, so every one of them better be worth it.
A great recipe should be tender and moist inside, super quick and easy to make, and impossible to mess up.
This Nutella mug cake checks all the boxes. Located somewhere between a brownie and chocolate cake, this irresistible treat is modified from my Nutella muffins and it comes together in minutes.
Why you'll love this?
- Only 4 ingredients
- Need a quick chocolate fix? These will be in the microwave in 90 seconds flat.
- Outrageously chocolatey and super fudgy.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Nutella - The best thing out of a jar, ever!
- Milk - Whole milk adds richness and moisture.
- All-purpose flour - Gives structure to the Nutella mug cake.
- Cocoa powder - A tablespoon of Dutch processed cocoa powder intensifies the chocolate flavor.
- Salt - With all of this chocolatey goodness, I like to add a little sea salt on top of the finished Nutella mug cake. It balances out the flavor and elevates the dessert.
Tip: Stir your Nutella vigorously before using. Like natural peanut butter, the oils typically rise to the top of the jar as it sits. It poses a huge problem of being greasy and not having enough structure.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
Add Nutella, milk, all-purpose flour, and cocoa powder into a microwave-safe mug. Stir well until thoroughly smooth. Cook in the microwave for 90 seconds.
Tip: Stir well! Nutella can be a little stubborn to mix, so make sure to mix your batter until very smooth and thoroughly combined.
How to serve?
Like this Oreo mug cake, it is outrageous topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream. I like to drizzle more Nutella on top to bring home the goodness!
- If using a fresh jar of Nutella, make sure to give it a good stir before using.
- Stir well - Nutella is very thick and might be a little stubborn to mix.
- Time - Some readers found that the cake wasn't cooked through in the mentioned time. So, upon further testing with different microwaves, I learned that some microwaves needed 5 to 25 seconds longer.
- Don't use a large mug.
- Use a ramekin - A 4-ounce ramekin is perfect for this single serve Nutella mug cake recipe.
Tip: It might be difficult to stir ingredients in a small ramekin. So, I like to mix the Nutella mug cake batter in a separate bowl and the transfer it into the ramekin, before cooking.
More chocolate treats
Nutella Mug Cake
For serving (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Add all ingredients into a microwave safe coffee mug. Stir well until smooth. Tip: Stir your Nutella vigorously before using. Like natural peanut butter, the oils typically rise to the top of the jar as it sits. It poses a huge problem of being greasy and not having enough structure.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 35 to 50 seconds. Tip: My initial cook time was 1 minute and 30 seconds. However, some readers found that the cake wasn't cooked through in that time. So, upon further testing in different microwaves, I increased the cook time by a few seconds. Takeaway - Remove from microwave after 1 minute and 35 seconds, if your cake is still wet inside, then pop it back into microwave and cook for an addioanl 10 to 20 seconds.
- Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment, a star rating or review below.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.