This Banana Mug Cake bakes in the microwave in exactly 90 seconds. Warm, light and fluffy cake with gooey melted chocolate chips and crunchy walnuts is the fastest way to enjoy a warm muffin!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Banana Mug Cake
An no egg, easy, single serving microwave cake in a cup cooks in 90 seconds. Light and fluffy dessert with gooey bits of dark chocolate chips, walnuts and packed with banana flavor —> The fastest muffin that you can make that takes just a few simple steps and few ingredients.
Banana bread or muffins are our go-to when we have an extra spotty banana on the counter. We also love this cake made in air fryer, mini muffins or these healthy waffles made using overripe fruits. But, what if you are craving for quick bite instead of having to wait for at least 30 minutes?
That’s when quick and easy mug cakes come in handy when I’m not in the mood to bake an entire cake yet still wanna satisfy my sweet tooth. It is literally ingredients mixed in a coffee mug and microwaved for a minute or two. Some of our favorites include Mango Mug Cake, Nutella Brownie Mug Cake or Chai Cake.
It is perfect for late night treat, warm after dinner dessert on a chilly night, an afternoon pick me up or paired with a tall glass of ice cold milk for the kiddos. Make one for yourself and maybe for a loved one!
It’s the perfect quick dessert, and so absolutely comforting. It’s loaded with banana bread flavor, comes together so quickly and uses pantry ingredients. It takes 2 minutes from start to end.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS?
- Single Serving – Single serve desserts are great for portion control for those of us who have a hard time to stop eating especially when it’s something sweet and tasty! It’s the best recipe for when you are living alone or for college kids.
- Cooks in 90 Seconds – You don’t have to wait to bake an entire sheet cake, bread or muffins. The microwave cooks it rapidly making it perfect to satisfy a sweet craving in under 2 minutes.
- Quick and easy Dessert anytime – Ideal for indulgent breakfast, an afternoon snack, a late-night dessert or after school treat for the kids.
- Texture – It is light, fluffy, moist with ooey gooey bits of dark chocolate chips and crunchy bits of walnuts.
- Eggless – Making it perfect for vegetarians.
Overripe Bananas Work Best
More riper the better! Ripe fruits have a more concentrated flavor, easy to be mashed into a fine pulp and are naturally sweet. Look for fruits with lots of brown spots and that feels soft to the touch.
Don’t have an over ripe fruit? Place a fruit in a brown paper bag along with an apple. The ethylene from apple will build up and enhance ripening in about 24 hours.
This is a dessert for one unless you’re not feeling very hungry then you might be able share with a loved one. If you want to make a dessert for two or double the recipe, then make double the recipe and split between two coffee cups but cook one at a time.
WHAT KIND OF MUG TO USE
Any standard coffee mug that is microwave safe works well. One important note to keep in mind is that the cake needs 90 seconds if using a wide cup and 95 seconds if cooking in a narrow cup.
Don’t have a handy mug? Any microwave safe bowl of similar size can be used instead.
HOW LONG TO COOK?
Every microwave is different and it works best when you have made a few microwave cakes, so you get to know your appliance better.
However, it is better to remove a few seconds earlier than letting it over cook. Overcooking will make it drier and rubbery. If you think that it’s not done in 90 seconds, then pop it in for a few more seconds, until cooked through.
ADD DELICIOUS TOPPINGS
While this is delicious warm as is, a few toppings will elevate this dessert. Here are a few suggestions:
- Sweetened greek yogurt
- Vanilla ice cream
- A drizzle of almond or peanut butter
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Sliced bananas
- Drizzle of Nutella
- Chopped toasted nuts, candied pecans or caramel walnuts
This recipe uses super simple ingredients and the result is amazingly delicious.
- Banana: You’ll need 1/2 of an extra ripe fruit.
- Flour: Regular unbleached all purpose flour.
- Sugar – White granulated sugar
- Cinnamon: Warm fall flavor with ground cinnamon
- Butter – Melted unsalted butter or use melted coconut oil.
- Baking powder – Helps to give a much needed lift.
- Chocolate Chips – Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Walnuts – Chopped walnuts (toasted or un toasted)
- Salt – A pinch of salt always elevates any sweet recipe.
- Eat HOT – As with all mug cakes, it tends to get a little dry upon cooling. so, we recommend enjoying this as soon as it comes out of the microwave or in a few minutes.
- Use overripe banana– You will need about 1/2 medium banana. A well ripened banana that is too soft for eating is great for this.
- Sugar – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar along with chocolate chips gives the right amount of sweetness without being too sweet. If you are skipping chocolate chips then increase sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted butter both will work here. Also, it is better to use room temperature butter, since it melts quicker without making the mug too hot. But, cold butter will work just as fine.
- Walnuts – Chopped toasted pecans will be a great substitute as well.
- Chocolate Chips – I used semi sweet chocolate chips. Bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate chips will compliment as well. Try staying away from milk chocolate chips since it might result in a much sweeter chocolate chip mug cake.
- Want to make for two? Double the recipe and microwave in two cups.
- Make it vegan – Use vegetable oil (just mix with banana and sugar) or melted coconut oil instead of butter.
- Cooking time may vary slightly depending on the model of your microwave.
- Don’t overcook. This will it gummy and rubbery.
You can enjoy this dessert on their own or personalize to make it your own:
- Nut-free. Simply omit the walnuts in the recipe.
- Add vanilla extract along with ground cinnamon.
- Use bittersweet chocolate chips instead of semi sweet.
- Swirl in Nutella into the batter before cooking.
- Vegan – Use coconut oil instead of butter and vegan chocolate chips.
HOW TO MAKE?
This recipe is ready in under 2 minutes including cooking time. It can’t get easier than that!
- Mix the wet ingredients. Melt butter in a coffee cup and stir in mashed fruit and sugar, until smooth.
- Add the dry. Stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Cook. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until cooked.
- Cool & enjoy. Let it cool for a minute so you don’t burn yourself and then enjoy it straight from the mug!
HOW TO SERVE?
- For breakfast – Pair with a peanut butter toast, healthy orange smoothie or spinach smoothie and Chia coconut pudding.
- As a dessert – Top with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream with a brown sugar shortbread on the side.
- Quick Snack – Serve with a warm mocha latte or iced coffee.
Can I store it for later?
Microwave cakes are meant to be enjoyed right away as it is a single serving dessert and it tends to get drier as it sits. So grab a spoon and dig in while it’s warm.
If you are a fan of chocolate chips like me, then here are more ideas to use them – Cookie Dough No Eggs, Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, White Chocolate Bark, 4 Ingredient Raw Almond Bites or Healthyish Avocado Waffles
More recipes using over ripe bananas
- Air Fryer Muffins
- Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Baked Oatmeal
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Banana date smoothie
- Banana sheet cake
More Mug Cake Recipes to try:
Banana Mug Cake with Chocolate Chips
- Place butter in a large microwave safe coffee mug. Microwave until just melted (don't let get very hot) about 30- 60 seconds. (Room temperature butter melts in about 30 seconds whereas cold butter takes a bit longer)
- Remove mug from microwave and stir in mashed bananas and sugar. Add flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon. Stir well, until combined (If batter looks very thick then mix in 1/2 tablespoon milk). Then stir in 1 tablespoon each of chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Sprinkle few chocolate chips and chopped walnuts on top.
- Microwave (on high) for 90 seconds for a wide mug (as shown in the picture) or 95 seconds for a tall, narrow mug. Do not cook longer! Do not open the microwave during the cooking time!
- Remove from microwave, cool for a few seconds before digging in.
- You could top warm mug cake with Nutella / whipped cream / sliced bananas / toasted nuts / a pinch of sea salt.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.