This Black Forest Mug Cake cooks in under 2 minutes. It features a rich, moist chocolate cake with a tender crumb, fresh cherries and a simple whipped cream. It is sure to satisfying your chocolate cravings!
I wanted a black forest mug cake that takes all the flavors of the traditional cake, but made in a fraction of the time!
Black forest cake is a traditional German black forest cake, also known as Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, which feature tender layers of chocolate sponge, brushed with a cherry syrup and then layered with freshly whipped cream. It's a classic birthday or celebration cake.
If you are looking ways to enjoy your fresh summer cherries, then try my Cherry Smoothie or Black Forest Cake Overnight Oats, which is a much healthier yet decadent way to kick start your hot summer day.
Why you'll love this?
I adapted the chocolate mug cake recipe from Pioneer woman, to make an exceptionally easy dessert. Fresh bing cherries adds sweet, tart and intense fruity flavor, to the rich and moist chocolate cake.
Whipped cream adds contrast in color, texture and accentuates the flavor.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- All purpose flour - I prefer to use all purpose flour, which has 10 to 12 percent protein, giving stability and structure.
- Cocoa powder - As explained in my chocolate avocado mousse recipe, I like to use dutch process cocoa powder.
- Sugar -White granulated sugar makes the black forest mug cake, sweet and soft.
- Oil - Vegetable oil, which is flavorless and liquid at room temperature, coats the flour's protein, leads to a supremely moist and velvety crumb.
- Milk - Adds richness and flavor.
- Baking powder - Double acting baking powder contains a dry acid and baking soda. It begins it's activation as soon as it comes in contact with the wet ingredients and then again when microwaved, providing a wonderful lift.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
1. Stir flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt into a microwave safe mug.
2. Stir in milk, vegetable oil and Kirsch and stir until smooth.
Tip: Kirsch or cherry liqueur, is a cherry-flavoured brandy. If you prefer not to use alcohol or don't want to purchase a whole bottle just to use a teaspoon, simply replace with vanilla extract.
3. Stir in chopped cherries and add sprinkle more on top.
4. Microwave for 1 minute and 45 seconds. The pioneer woman's recipe suggests 1 minute and 30 seconds. I like a few extra seconds, to compensate for the additional moisture and weight from fresh fruits.
Pro tip: Cooking time - The time can vary with different microwaves and also different cup sizes. Cook for one minute and 45 seconds for a narrow coffee mug, and one minute and 40 seconds for a wide mug.
How to serve?
My idea of a black forest cake definitely involves mounds of freshly whipped cream and more chopped fresh cherries. It will also be terrific with vanilla ice cream, Nutella or chocolate syrup.
- Mug - A standard size microwave coffee mug works for this black forest mug cake recipe. Please do not choose a smaller one.
- Cooking time - If you use a wider mug, then remove about 10-15 seconds earlier.
- Remove promptly - Remove promptly from the microwave. Cooking it longer will make the cake dry.
- Cherries - Bing cherries give the traditional flavor.
- Stir batter until lump free – Using a spoon, stir the batter until smooth and no lumps remain.
Black forest cake is traditionally made with layers of chocolate sponge cake, brushed with cherry syrup, layered with cherries, and whipped cream as frosting. Whereas, chocolate chocolate cake is made without any cherries and the frosting is usually a chocolate buttercream or ganache.
They are preserved, sweetened cherries, typically made from light-colored varieties, and is perfect to make pretty garnishes to alcoholic drinks or dessert, but do not have a real fruity flavor.
More mug cake recipes
Hungry for more? Follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook or Pinterest for more delicious recipes
Black Forest Mug Cake
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Cherry liquor such as Kirsch (or use vanilla extract)
- ¼ cup chopped Bing cherries
- Add all dry ingredients into a microwave mug, stir well with a spoon or fork.Tip: Double acting baking powder contains a dry acid and baking soda. It begins it's activation as soon as it comes in contact with the wet ingredients and then again when microwaved, providing a wonderful lift.
- Add all wet ingredients, mix until smooth. Stir in chopped cherries (reserving some for garnish later).Tip: Kirsch or cherry liqueur, is a cherry-flavoured brandy. If you prefer not to use alcohol or don't want to purchase a whole bottle just to use ½ teaspoon, simply replace with vanilla extract.
- Cook in microwave for one minute and 45 seconds for a standard coffee mug, and one minute and 40 seconds for a wider mug.
- Remove, let cool for a few seconds, before serving. Top with reserved cherries and sweetened whipped cream.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
The recipe is adapted from Pioneer Woman.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
Baked this cake for my birthday and it was an absolute hit! So moist and tasty. Thank you for doing what you do
Glad you loved it:)
Really good mug cake recipe! Have made a few other mug cakes in the past but this was way tastier and came out better than others I've made.
Hi Liz, That sounds wonderful, Maria
Hi! Inspired by your Black Forest Mug Cake recipe, I adjusted for available ingredients. Needing more than one I Tripled the recipe first, added an egg, used melted butter, light cream with kefir, pinch of baking soda + baking powder, combined all purpose, almond and whole grain sorghum flours. I had sweetened dried cherries on hand and tossed them in too, so lowered the sugar amount. Also I only have an infrared oven, so I set it to the brownie setting - all totaled it took @ 25-30 minutes with this type of heat. Came out delicate and delightful! A work in progress…thank you!
Hi Susan, Loving all the modifications, have a fantastic week - Maria