Decadent Avocado Chocolate Truffles is made with creamy avocado instead of heavy cream. It is naturally dairy free, vegan, and gluten free.
Avocado Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate truffles are one of the Holiday staple!!!! If you guys remember these chocolate truffles made with condensed milk that we shared couple of weeks ago or these Almond Butter Truffles, then you know that we love truffles around here. They are perfect for an after dinner treat or gift giving.
Avocado and chocolate might sound like an odd combination but they are in fact delicious together. If it is not your favorite, then don't ya worry. Because these truffles do not taste like it at all. So next time your sweet craving strikes, don’t forget about these homemade truffles.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THESE BITES?
- Healthier - Made with mashed avocado and coconut oil instead of heavy cream, they are packed with healthy fats.
- Easy Microwave recipe - You don't need a double boiler. These are simply made in microwave and are no bake.
- Just 4 ingredients - You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry and fridge.
- Make ahead - Great refrigerated or frozen for weeks.
HOW TO MASH AVOCADO?
Cut a medium ripe fruit in half, score the flesh with a small pairing knife and using a spoon, scoop out the flesh onto a plate. Using the back of a spoon, mash until very smooth and lump free.
If you are doubling or tripling the recipe to make a bigger batch, it can be processed in a small grinder or mini food processor, until smooth.
HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST?
These balls will last for up to a week in the refrigerate in a sealed container. Leave at room temperature for about 15 minutes before eating. They can also be frozen for about a month.
You can find the recipe card at the bottom of this post for complete list with their amounts. You only need 4 simple ingredients and you probably have them right now.
- Avocado - Make sure you use ripe fruit that are bright green without any black spots. The flesh should give slightly when you press on it.
- Chocolate Chips: We recommend using the best quality semi sweet chips you can find.
- Coconut oil or use unsalted butter.
- Vanilla extract.
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Mash avocado until smooth and lump free.
- Do not mash ahead of time - It tends to darken by the minute after being cut. So, cut and mash just before melting the chips.
- Use butter instead of coconut oil.
- To make it vegan - Use vegan semi sweet chips.
- Gluten free - These are naturally gluten free since most chips available in the market are gluten free.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips – The better the quality, the better the truffle. Use high quality like Ghiradelli semi sweet or finely chopped bar.
Use any of the following options to roll these balls in
- Finely chopped pistachios
- Finely chopped sliced almonds
- Sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut
- Cocoa powder
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped toasted pecans
- Salted toasted peanuts
- Fine sprinkles
- Ground freeze dried strawberry
- Finely chopped salted pretzels
HOW TO MAKE?
- Mash - Mash avocado until completely smooth and there are no chunks remaining.
- Melt chips - Place them along with coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and cook using 30-second intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Mix - Remove bowl from microwave and mix in mashed fruit, vanilla and salt stir to combine.
- Chill - Set aside for a few hours (or about 30 minutes in the refrigerator) to firm up. Roll into balls and coat in chopped nuts. Store in fridge to serve.
HOW TO STORE?
Truffles can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to a week. Leave at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before eating.
Perfect for Gift Giving
These are a great treats for the holidays like this no bake peanut butter balls. Make them ahead of time and have them ready to go for your next party. These bites can also be packed in sweet treat cellophane bags and tie with a pretty ribbon <--- Perfect for friends, family, teachers.
So next time, you are in the mood for a sweet treat, don’t forget about these homemade dessert. It is a great way to sneak in some healthy goodness into the kids. You will begin making them time and again!
More Chocolate Avocado treats to try:
Follow me on INSTAGRAM, TIK TOK, FACEBOOK or PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Avocado Chocolate Truffles
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon, use vegan if needed
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup mashed avocado ½ medium
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
Additional ingredients (for topping), optional
- Finely chopped pistachios / shredded coconut / finely chopped almonds / cocoa powder
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwavable safe bowl, microwave for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds (Chocolate might not look fully melted at this point but the residual heat will melt it further).
- Remove from microwave and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Add mashed avocado (make sure that avocado is mashed until very smooth and lump free), vanilla extract and salt. Stir until mixed well and leave at room temperature for few hours for it to thicken to a soft dough (or place in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes to thicken).
- Scoop mixture into a tablespoon measure balls, gently roll between the palm of your hands until smooth and round.
- Roll balls into your favorite toppings.
- Truffles can be stored at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for several days (bring to room temperature before eating).
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Just making these now! One thing I would say is to make sure your avocado is at room temperature or slightly warmed up in the microwave for a few secs before adding to the chocolate - mine was too cold and the chocolate seized - I managed to save it by microwaving the mixture so it was all good in the end!
Hi Fiona, Thank you for the tip, we have included it in the recipe notes so that it might be helpful to our readers. Cold avocado should generally not be a problem since the melted chocolate is much warmer. Have a wonderful Holiday season - Maria