Decadent Avocado Chocolate Truffles is made with creamy avocado instead of heavy cream. It is naturally dairy free, vegan, and gluten free.
We love using this amazing fruit in everyday cooking for its healthy nutrition. Some of our favorite ways to use are Avocado Jalapeno Crema, No Knead Dinner Rolls, Avocado Toast or Chicken Salad Sandwich.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Avocado Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate truffles are one of the Holiday staple!!!! If you guys remember these chocolate truffles made with condensed milk that we shared couple of weeks ago or these Almond Butter Truffles, then you know that we love truffles around here. They are perfect for an after dinner treat or gift giving.
Avocado and chocolate might sound like an odd combination but they are in fact delicious together. If it is not your favorite, then don't ya worry. Because these truffles do not taste like it at all. So next time your sweet craving strikes, don’t forget about these homemade truffles.
Avocados are a super food for a reason - they contain a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals, contains more potassium than bananas and is loaded with heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids (check out more details here). So, these are a healthier alternative when compared to most of the indulgent holiday baked goods.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THESE BITES?
- Healthier - Made with mashed avocado and coconut oil instead of heavy cream, they are packed with healthy fats.
- Easy Microwave recipe - You don't need a double boiler. These are simply made in microwave and are no bake.
- Just 4 ingredients - You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry and fridge.
- Make ahead - Great refrigerated or frozen for weeks.
HOW TO MASH AVOCADO?
Cut a medium ripe fruit in half, score the flesh with a small pairing knife and using a spoon, scoop out the flesh onto a plate. Using the back of a spoon, mash until very smooth and lump free.
If you are doubling or tripling the recipe to make a bigger batch, it can be processed in a small grinder or mini food processor, until smooth.
HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST?
These balls will last for up to a week in the refrigerate in a sealed container. Leave at room temperature for about 15 minutes before eating. They can also be frozen for about a month.
You can find the recipe card at the bottom of this post for complete list with their amounts. You only need 4 simple ingredients and you probably have them right now.
- Avocado - Make sure you use ripe fruit that are bright green without any black spots. The flesh should give slightly when you press on it.
- Chocolate Chips: We recommend using the best quality semi sweet chips you can find.
- Coconut oil or use unsalted butter.
- Vanilla extract.
PRO TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Mash avocado until smooth and lump free.
- Do not mash ahead of time - It tends to darken by the minute after being cut. So, cut and mash just before melting the chips.
- Use butter instead of coconut oil.
- To make it vegan - Use vegan semi sweet chips.
- Gluten free - These are naturally gluten free since most chips available in the market are gluten free.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips – The better the quality, the better the truffle. Use high quality like Ghiradelli semi sweet or finely chopped bar.
Use any of the following options to roll these balls in
- Finely chopped pistachios
- Finely chopped sliced almonds
- Sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut
- Cocoa powder
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped toasted pecans
- Salted toasted peanuts
- Fine sprinkles
- Ground freeze dried strawberry
- Finely chopped salted pretzels
HOW TO MAKE?
- Mash - Mash avocado until completely smooth and there are no chunks remaining.
- Melt chips - Place them along with coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and cook using 30-second intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Mix - Remove bowl from microwave and mix in mashed fruit, vanilla and salt stir to combine.
- Chill - Set aside for a few hours (or about 30 minutes in the refrigerator) to firm up. Roll into balls and coat in chopped nuts. Store in fridge to serve.
HOW TO STORE?
Truffles can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to a week. Leave at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before eating.
Perfect for Gift Giving
These are a great treats for the holidays like this no bake peanut butter balls. Make them ahead of time and have them ready to go for your next party. These bites can also be packed in sweet treat cellophane bags and tie with a pretty ribbon <--- Perfect for friends, family, teachers.
So next time, you are in the mood for a sweet treat, don’t forget about these homemade dessert. It is a great way to sneak in some healthy goodness into the kids. You will begin making them time and again!
More decadent chocolate treats: healthy Date balls, Peppermint Bark with Chocolate Chips, Recipe for Mocha Latte, Half Vanilla Half Chocolate Cookies, Chocolate Cake with Almond Flour, Single Serve Vegan Mug Cake, Almond Flour Brownies, Edible Cookie Dough, Red Velvet Mug Cake, Chocolate Kulfi, Mocha Mug Cake, Strawberries and Cream, Banana Sheet Cake, Black Forest Mug Cake, Homemade Churros, Almond Butter Cups, Chocolate Hummus, Nutella Mug Brownie, Nutella Brownie Muffins or Nutella Brownies.
More Chocolate Avocado treats to try:
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips (½ cup plus 1 tablespoon), use vegan if needed
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup mashed avocado (½ medium)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
Additional ingredients (for topping), optional
- Finely chopped pistachios / shredded coconut / finely chopped almonds / cocoa powder
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwavable safe bowl, microwave for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds (Chocolate might not look fully melted at this point but the residual heat will melt it further).
- Remove from microwave and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Add mashed avocado (make sure that avocado is mashed until very smooth and lump free), vanilla extract and salt. Stir until mixed well and leave at room temperature for few hours for it to thicken to a soft dough (or place in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes to thicken).
- Scoop mixture into a tablespoon measure balls, gently roll between the palm of your hands until smooth and round.
- Roll balls into your favorite toppings.
- Truffles can be stored at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for several days (bring to room temperature before eating).
Mash avocado until smooth and lump free
How to mash avocado? Cut a medium ripe avocado in half, score the flesh with a small pairing knife and using a spoon, scoop out the flesh onto a plate. Using the back of a spoon, mash avocado until very smooth and lump free.
If you are doubling or tripling the recipe, then avocado can be processed in a small grinder or mini food processor, until smooth.
Do not mash avocado ahead of time – Avocado tends to darken by the minute after being cut. So, cut and mash avocado just before melting the chocolate.
Butter can be used instead of coconut oil
To make it vegan – Use vegan semi sweet chocolate chips
Gluten free – These truffles are naturally gluten free since most chocolate chips available in the market are gluten free.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82 (without toppings)Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
I am not a certified dietician or nutritionist. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculator such as Nutrifox.com.. Although Kitchen at Hoskins attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their fact sources and algorithms. Under no circumstances will Kitchen at Hoskins be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the nutritional information. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.