Chocolate Truffles Recipe with Condensed Milk are made with only 3 ingredients. Rich, Sweet, Smooth, Creamy and Melts-in-your-Mouth! These balls do not need to refrigerated before rolling and satisfies any sweet craving.
If you are looking more sweet treats for Christmas, then check out this Chocolate Shortbread Cookies, Christmas Peppermint Bark, Candied Pecans or Pecan Snowball Cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Chocolate Truffles Recipe with Condensed Milk
They are an all time favorite decadent treat like this Chocolate Peanut Clusters or Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge. It is perfect for the Holidays, Valentines day or just about anytime like peppermint hot chocolate or air fryer lava cake. Forget store bought treats and make this homemade recipe to share with family and friends like these candied almonds or candied pecans.
Making homemade recipe couldn’t be easier and you’ll agree that they are the perfect quick & easy treat for holidays. These are made without cream, with cocoa powder and without cream cheese.
Many recipes are made with cocoa powder and condensed milk - it is creamy, dark and decadent. But, the addition of melted chocolate was a game changer!! It became much more smooth, easy to work with, tasted incredible and most importantly not sticky.
What are chocolate truffles?
It is a type of confection (basically ganache) that is firmed up in the refrigerator, formed into balls and rolled in cocoa powder. They are a deeply indulgent treat made from chocolate and cream.
They’re essentially balls of ganache. Their name derives from their resemblance to truffles, edible fungi. They are perfect treat for Christmas or Valentine's day.
Only 3 Ingredients
Chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder are the only 3 ingredients in creamy, no cook recipe. However, there are additional flavorings like vanilla extract and salt added for flavor.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips - The better the quality, the better the confection. Use high quality one like Ghiradelli semi sweet chips or finely chopped bar.
- Sweetened condensed milk - The addition of sweetened condensed milk makes these a totally pantry recipe.
- Cocoa powder - Dutch processed cocoa powder.
- Flavorings- Vanilla extract and salt for flavor.
Best Chocolate to Use
Best quality like Ghiradelli or Guittard are delicious options to make the best recipe. We used semi sweet or dark chocolate for extra rich candy. We do not recommend milk chocolate chips for this recipe, since when it combines with sweetened condensed milk, it tends to make the balls very sweet.
This recipe is so creamy, regardless of using chocolate chips.
- Roll in cocoa powder, immediately after shaping into balls - The surface of the truffle will still be slightly sticky and melted from the heat of your hands, so the toppings will adhere well.
- If rolled balls are too dry for toppings - Roll the balls between your hands (pressing them gently). The heat from your hands will make them sticky again for toppings.
- Time - Resting time depends on the weather. The dough firms up in about an hour during cold winter months, whereas more than 3 hours on a hot summer day.
- Perfect for gift giving - Pack them in sweet little boxes with tissue paper and tie with ribbons or in little cellophane bags.
Roll these balls in any of the following options-
- Cocoa powder - Dutch process or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chopped nuts - Finely chopped nuts like walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts or peanuts are all great options. You can use toasted or not toasted.
- Coconut - Sweetened or unsweetened finely shredded coconut.
- Sprinkles - Use fine colored sprinkles (any color to match the celebration).
- Powdered freeze dried strawberries .
Flavorings / Variations
- Skip vanilla extract and use almond or coconut extract.
- Spike the ganache with a little alcohol, like Chambord, whiskey or rum.
- Mix in a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper powder for some heat.
How to make?
- Melt - Microwave semi sweet chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk, until melted and smooth.
- Mix - Stir in cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt.
- Rest - Let rest at room temperature, until reaches soft dough consistency.
- Roll - Make balls and roll in cocoa powder.
How to store (Shelf life)?
Since these are made without cream, they will last at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 4 days. However, if you wish to store them longer, then refrigerate in a sealed container for up to a month. Bring to room temperature before eating.
Can you freeze? Freeze for up to 3 months, For the best texture and flavor, bring them to room temperature before serving.
Frequently asked questions:
If you wish to store them longer than few days, then refrigerate in a sealed container for up to a month. Bring to room temperature before eating.
They will last for a few days at room temperature or up to a month in the refrigerator.
One has 75 calories with 3 grams fat, 11 grams carbohydrates and 10 grams sugar.
More Truffle Recipes to try:
Follow me on INSTAGRAM, TIK TOK, FACEBOOK or PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Chocolate Truffles Recipe with Condensed Milk
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup cocoa powder plus more for coating
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Place chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 40 to 60 seconds (stirring every 25 seconds), until completely melted.
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir until very smooth.
- Stir in cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt, until thoroughly combined. Set aside at room temperature for 1 to 4 hours, or until it becomes a soft dough consistency (It will firm up in about one hour during winter, whereas take longer on a hot summer day).
- Scoop up a tablespoon (use a tablespoon measure), then use a teaspoon to scoop the mixture out into your hands Scoop out small balls and roll between the palm of hands to make an even ball.
- Roll balls in cocoa powder immediately (while the outside is still sticky) and serve at room temperature.
Nutritional information is based on third party calculations, should be considered estimates and not be construed as a guarantee. Varying factors such as product types, brands purchased, produce, the way ingredients are processed and more change the nutritional information in any recipe.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Can these be coated in melted chocolate or will they melt? My plan was to roll the chilled chocolate mass into ball, freeze them, then dip them in melted chocolate and re-freeze them.
Hi Monica, These are much more sturdier than normal truffles (made with melted chocolate and cream). Refrigerate rolled balls for several hours, dip in melted chocolate and then chill again. Freezing is not necessary. Hope it helps, happy holidays:)
These are so good! I had half of a can of sweetened condensed milk to use up and this was the perfect way to do that! I will make these again!
Hi Ashlyn, Glad you liked it, Maria
I want to try this! Can I rest the dough in the fridge instead? so it sets faster, thanks!
Hi Isabel, Absolutely!! We would recommend stirring every 10 to 15 minutes to make sure it firms up uniformly, Maria
Can brandy be substituted or in addition to vanilla?
If you like Brandy, then feel fry to substitute instead of vanilla - Maria
Can I substitute fresh squeezed orange juice for the vanilla?
If you are looking for orange flavored truffles, then we will suggest using 1/2 to 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest instead. Orange juice will tend to dilute the mixture and not let them firm up. Hope it helps - Maria