This Air fryer Zucchini is made with just 3 main ingredients and is ready in under 15 minutes. It's simple, speedy and super flavorful with very little effort. A tasty way to enjoy garden fresh zucchini!
Eating vegetable never tasted so good! Air fryer zucchini is a healthy and speedy side dish for weeknight dinner or just as snack! These are so good that my kids end up finishing them before even it reaches the dinner table.
Zucchini often cooks up soggy and bland due to the excess water. Just like roasting or grilling, air fryer concentrates the flavor and gives an appealing texture in a fraction of the time.
It goes well with almost any meal like this grilled boneless chicken thighs and takes almost no prep time, since there is no breading. Have you tried our zucchini frittata or zucchini fritters recipe?
Also known as courgette or baby marrow, zucchini is a summer squash and technically a fruit. If you are blessed with an abundant bounty this summer or picked up fresh squashes from your local farmers market, then give this low carb side dish a try.
It is also very easy vegetable to prepare. The skin is a soft, edible and hence there's no reason to peel it. Most of the store bought zucchinis are young and the seeds are very tender, edible and unnecessary to remove. So, simply wash, cut off the stem end and slice away.
Why you'll love this?
- Quick and easy with just 2 minutes of prep and is cooks in about 10 minutes.
- Kids love it with the golden crunchy parmesan bits.
- Only 3 main ingredients.
- Air frying helps the zucchini achieve a caramelization factor with a crisp exterior and sweeten in taste.
Featured comment - "Absolutely amazing! The best zucchini of my life and I eat a lot of vegetables" - Karen
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
A straightforward air fryer zucchini recipe with only 3 main pantry ingredients. The ingredient list is very short making this recipe quick and easy.
- Zucchini - I use medium to large sized zucchinis that are crisp and firm to the touch. Avoid using very large over grown ones, since they’ll be too seedy and watery when cooked.
- Oil - A good quality extra virgin olive oil adds richness and more flavor.
- Parmesan cheese - Freshly grated gives the best flavor and melts into the slices. But go ahead and use pre grated if that's what you have around.
Tip - When selecting zucchini, look for a firm vegetable with a dark green skin and with no bruises or soft spots.
- Add more flavor Italian seasoning, minced garlic, garlic powder, paprika or minced fresh or dried herbs.
- Love garlic? Toss in minced garlic and garlic powder.
- Add some ranch seasoning mix.
- A squeeze of lemon when it's piping hot (like this pan seared asparagus recipe)
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
1. Wash your zucchini, pat dry and slice into ½-inch thick rounds. Add the rounds into a large bowl.
Pro tip: Slicing them too thin may result in the rounds becoming mushy from overcooking, while slicing them too thick could lead to undercooked pieces by the time the parmesan topping turns golden brown.
Tip: Cut your zucchini into thick fries or long slices instead of rounds.
2. Drizzle olive oil, and then sprinkle salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
5 & 6. Toss everything together until all the seasoning coats evenly.
7 & 8. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees. When hot, place the rounds in a single layer, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: Remove promptly! Cooking them longer will cook the slices very soft and also get very dark in color.
Pro tips to avoid soggy air fryer zucchini
- Don't slice them too thin (we like ½-inch rounds or slices).
- Avoid over crowding. Cook in batches if needed.
- Remove promptly.
How to serve?
Air fryer zucchini is best served piping hot! It is juicy with a slight crisp top but softens after some time. It's perfect as a side with burgers (we like to serve with our chicken burger).
How to store and reheat leftovers?
It is best when it is freshly made. Should you have leftovers, keep them stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, return to the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 3 to 5 minutes cook time, until they are warmed.
- Thickness - Cut zucchini into ½-inch thick slices for a bit sturdier yet well cooked vegetable.
- Don't over crowd - Make sure to place the rounds in a single layer in the basket, leaving a little space around each one. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
- Parmesan: Use freshly grated parmesan rather than pre shredded, if possible. Fresh will have a better flavor and a less gritty texture.
- Make sure to sprinkle parmesan on top of slices rather than the basket.
It’s commonly served cooked, but can be enjoyed eating raw too. It works great in salads, wraps or even made into low-carb noodles.
There’s no need to remove the skin to make this recipe. The skin not only adds flavor, color, antioxidants and fiber, but also helps keeping the vegetable in tact if you accidentally over cook it.
Prepare as instructed, spread them into a single layer in a baking sheet, top with parmesan and bake in a pre heated 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Switch to broiler for an additional 2 to 3 minutes to get a nice color.
More air fryer side dishes
Air fryer Zucchini
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt or less if desired
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup to ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Wash, pat dry zucchini and slice them into ½-inch thick discs.Pro tip: Slicing them too thin may result in the rounds becoming mushy from overcooking, while slicing them too thick could lead to undercooked pieces by the time the parmesan topping turns golden brown.
- Add sliced zucchini, olive oil, salt, red pepper flakes and ground black pepper into a large bowl and toss well until thoroughly combined.
- Pre heat air fryer at 400°F for 11 minutes. When hot, place zucchini rounds in a single layer and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of the rounds.Tip: Try to sprinkle all the cheese on top of the zucchini slices.
- Cook until the tops are golden brown (9 to 11 minutes). Serve hot!
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com.