This Mocha Mug Cake is soft, light and fluffy with a delectable combination of coffee and chocolate, and made right in the microwave. It is ready in 5 minutes and is an easy microwave dessert recipe.
What is mocha cake? It combines the rich flavors of coffee and chocolate, typically featuring a moist and flavorful chocolate cake infused with coffee or espresso. It is simply a cake version of the mocha latte recipe
I wanted a mocha mug cake that takes all the flavors of the traditional mocha cake, but is made in a fraction of the time!
If you enjoy the combination of chocolate and coffee, like our tiramisu tres leches cake, then you will love this mocha mug cake. It is ideal for a date night for those seeking a light dessert without the need to bake an entire cake.
Why you'll love this recipe?
- Cooks in 2 minutes!
- Single serve dessert.
- Ultra soft, light and velvety texture.
- Eggless recipe.
- Decadent dessert.
Scroll down to the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and amounts.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - This mocha mug cake recipe calls for just a teaspoon of cocoa powder which adds a hint of chocolate without making it super chocolatey. Make sure to use natural cocoa powder and not dutch-processed cocoa.
- Coffee - I used instant coffee granules, such as Nescafe Classico.
- Oil - As in all mug cake recipes, use a neutral oil such as vegetable or canola oil.
- Milk - Adds richness and flavor.
- Flour - All purpose flour has 10 to 12 percent protein, which gives stability and structure to the microwave dessert recipe.
- Sugar - White sugar lets the flavor of chocolate and coffee come through.
- Baking powder - Double-acting baking powder, containing a dry acid and baking soda, activates upon contact with wet ingredients and again during microwaving, resulting in a wonderful lift.
How to make?
You can find full printable recipe below, but here is a quick overview of the procedure along with step-by-step photos.
1 & 2. Stir milk and instant coffee together in a microwave safe coffee mug, until dissolved.
3 & 4. Add all purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, oil and baking powder, stir well until well combined and smooth. Microwave for 90 seconds.
Tip: Stir batter until lump free!
How to serve?
Like the black forest mug cake, my idea of a mocha mug cake definitely involves mounds of freshly whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder.
Dig into the mug cake while it's hot, right after removing it from the microwave. Keep in mind that certain microwave cakes may tend to dry out if left at room temperature for an extended period.
- Stir batter until lump-free.
- Mug – A standard size microwave coffee mug works for this recipe. Please do not choose a smaller one.
- Microwaves differ – This recipe was tested in two different microwaves and it took 90 seconds in one and 95 seconds in the other.
- Remove promptly - Remove promptly from the microwave. Cooking it longer will make the cake dry.
More mug cake recipes
Mocha Mug Cake
- Add milk and instant coffee into a microwave safe coffee mug and stir until coffee is dissolved.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir well until well combined and smooth.
- Microwave for about 90 seconds. Do not open the microwave in between. Tip: This recipe was tested in two different microwaves and it took 90 seconds in one and 95 seconds in the other.
- Remove mug from microwave, top with a big scoop of whipped cream and enjoy!
Nutritional information, based on third-party calculations, should be seen as estimates, not guarantees, as various factors like product types, brands, processing methods, and more can alter the nutritional content in recipes.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.