Make restaurant quality Chicken Alfredo in Instant pot. Ready in under 30 minutes, the pasta cooks in the sauce soaking up all the creamy, rich deliciousness. This instant pot chicken pasta is cozy and comforting.
What to cook for dinner tonight?
Sounds familiar? Especially after a long day at work, school, homework, after school activities. Everybody is hungry and mom is exhausted. Just painting a picture of a common scene in my house many a times.
And then, entered this magical appliance called the Instant pot. There is almost nothing that this little thing cannot conquer - rice, pasta, quinoa, chicken, beef, pork, boiled eggs and even desserts. Truly magical!! No wonder it is the latest trendy kitchen appliance.
What makes this Instant Pot Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo a go-to family favorite?
- One pot - Instant Pot <----- easy clean up
- Creamy and cheesy
- Easy to make
- Costs so much lesser than dining out
- Excellent for date nights
- Family favorite
Butter – Salted / Unsalted / Cold / Room temperature – Anything works
Garlic – Finely chopped
Chicken stock – I used 33% reduced sodium chicken stock. If using regular sodium or no sodium then please adjust salt accordingly.
Heavy Cream – Only heavy cream and not half and half / milk.
Pasta – I used the classic fettuccini for this recipe, but penne or Bow Tie works just as well.
Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken thighs is always my go-to cut of meat, but boneless, skinless chicken breasts may be used instead.
Parmesan – Ain’t Alfredo without parmesan!
Salt and Pepper
This instant pot chicken fettuccini alfredo recipe has got to be one of my favorite Instant Pot Recipes here. What can I say? I'm a sucker for Fettuccine Alfredo. It is one of my favorite dishes (and both my kids, of course!) to order every time we dine at an Italian place.
How to cook chicken Alfredo in instant pot?
It is a simple two-step process -
Step-1: Heat instant pot to saute. When hot, add butter and let melt. Saute chopped garlic, just until it begins to get golden.
Step-2: Stir in chicken stock, salt and pepper (It is very important that you do not stir after this step).
Step-3: Pour in heavy cream.
Step-4: Add pasta and gently press to let the pasta submerge into the liquid.
Step-5: Place chicken evenly on top. Close and cook for 7 minutes on manual and then 7 minutes on warm.
Step-6: Add grated parmesan and stir.
Instant pot chicken Alfredo pasta for the win!!!
It is recommended to use dairy after the cooking time is done due to risk of curdling. However, when adopting a layering technique with the liquid (by adding water/stock in the bottom before adding the dairy on top), heavy cream can be used without any issues.
Generally, It is not recommended to add any dairy until the end of the cooking time as it has a tendency to curdle or give a BURN notice. But, layering the stock first and then the heavy cream on top, solves that problem in a pinch.
Generally, Alfredo sauce will thicken as it cools. Another commonly adapted technique is to stir in cubed cream cheese after the cook time, which gives a more creamier and luxurious pasta.
Chicken Alfredo is chicken cooked in creamy Alfredo sauce with/without the addition of pasta. However, fettuccini Alfredo is fettuccini pasta with Alfredo sauce with/without addition of protein like chicken or shrimp.
More Instant pot Pasta Recipes:
Instant Pot Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 and ½ cups chicken stock, refer notes (I used 33% less sodium)
- 1 teaspoon salt (refer notes) or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 and ½ cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta, broken in half
- ¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped (about 3 thighs)
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese, or more if desired
- Heat Instant pot to saute mode.
- When hot, add butter and let it melt. Add chopped garlic into the pot and saute for 20 to 30 seconds, until it begins to get golden.
- Press cancel and add chicken stock, salt and pepper. Give a good stir and please note that it is very important not to stir after this step.
- Pour in heavy cream (DO NOT STIR) and add fettuccini on top, gently pressing the pasta to be submerged into the liquid (DO NOT STIR).
- Place chicken on top in an even layer (DO NOT STIR).
- Close and lock lid (making sure the valve is in sealing position). Select manual cooking mode and set for 6 minutes (for al dente pasta ) or 7 minutes (for softer pasta).
- Once cooking time is done, let it be in warm mode for 7 minutes (or after 9 minutes for softer cooked pasta).
- Release pressure and open lid and stir in parmesan cheese. The pasta will be liquidy at this point but will thicken as it cools (do not cover).If you are using a smaller instant pot and liquid sprays out when trying to quick release, then simply turn valve back to seal and wait for few more minutes before trying again.
- Serve after few minutes with additional grated parmesan if desired.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.