Asian Cauliflower is a LIP SMACKING combination of Roasted Cauliflower and Crispy cashews, tossed in a SWEET and SPICY Sriracha-Soy Sauce that is finger licking good!! Serve plain or spoon over white rice for an easy dinner.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
This post was originally published on 11/22/2019 and modified on 02/22/2022 to add more details. However, the recipe, images and video remain the same.
Sweet & Spicy Asian Cauliflower and Cashews
An Asian style stir fry with cashews, but oven roasted instead of a wok. It is a delectable combination of SPICY, SALTY AND SWEET with crunchy cashews and soft cooked florets. Spoon over white rice for an easy yet unbelievably tasty dinner. Raw florets transforms into golden red, caramelized deliciousness in the oven.
Cauliflower goes well with just about any seasoning. For a simple roasted side dish for weeknight dinner an easy salt, pepper and olive oil seasoning will suffice. However, we went beyond that and used a tasty combination of sriracha sauce, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper for this spicy roasted cauliflower.
How to pick a cauliflower?
Look for large, densely-packed head. Make sure they are heavy for it's size, bright white color and free of any blemishes or brown spots! The leaves should be fresh and vibrant green which is a sign that the flower was recently harvested.
How to store fresh cauliflower?
It comes in pre packaged cellophane which can trap moisture and promote rot. If you are going to use it in couple of days, then you can refrigerate as is.
If storing longer, then unwrap it from the cellophane, wrap in a sheet of paper towels (will help in absorbing any moisture) and then in a sealed plastic bag. Store in the crisper drawer of your refrigertor for up to a week.
How to cut cauliflower for roasting?
- Slice off the stem end of the cauliflower to form a flat base.
- Turn the flower so it is resting flower side up on the cutting board.
- Slice downward to cut it into four even wedges.
- Slice off just the inner core areas to get rid of the tough, fibrous stem.
- Then, cut each piece across to make slices 1-inch wide. Pull apart any florets that are stuck together.
Tips for success
Don't overcrowd the pan - Like all veggies, florets needs some breathing room on the pan. Otherwise, they will produce steam that they’ll never turn crisp on the edges.
Size - Cut all florets the same size. Uneven size will result in the big ones undercooked and tiny ones overcooked.
Do not use raw cashews ---> will not taste the same
Sauce - Stir sauce ingredients, until sugar is dissolved completely.
Less spicy? If you want to cut down the spiciness, then reduce the red pepper flakes.
Allow Air to Flow - Don’t overcrowd your pan when roasting. They need plenty of space and airflow to become as tasty and caramelized as possible!
Final baking - After the florets is tossed with sauce, bake only for 2-3 minutes, not longer.
How to roast cashews?
Pre heat oven to 350° F. Add raw cashews in a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden in color. Place baking pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a sealed container or zip lock bag and store for up to a month.
Cauliflower - Use fresh head, clear of blemishes and cut into 1-inch size florets.
Cashews - Use roasted cashews. If using store bought roasted cashews then make sure that they are unsalted.
Sriracha Sauce - Hot Sriracha Huy Fong Chilli Sauce
Sugar - Regular white sugar
Soy Sauce - Regular soy sauce and not reduced sodium
Red pepper flakes - Increase to make it more spicy.
Scallions - Adds freshness
How to make Asian Style Cauliflower?
Make sauce -
Stir Sriracha, sugar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes until sugar is dissolved (Gotta love this color).
- Toss florets with vegetable oil, salt and pepper, bake at 450° F for 25 minutes. Then, toss crispy roasted florets with the Sriracha-soy sauce, roasted cashews and scallions.
- Place in oven for a couple of minutes, for the sauce to adhere to florets and cashews.
If you are into spicy food, then you might like Jalapeno Poppers without bacon, Healthy Sushi Bowl, Ginger Garlic Pita Chips, Spicy Roasted Chickpeas that tastes like Tandoori Chicken, Chicken Ranch Quesadilla + Meal Prep or 20-Minute, One Skillet Coconut Curry Shrimp
How to store?
If you don’t end up finishing this tasty dish, it can be stored and enjoyed later! Here’s how to keep it as fresh and delicious as possible.
In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Re heating - Simply microwave until warmed.
Can this be frozen?
We recommend NOT! This sweet and spicy cauliflower recipe makes a small batch, that we love to bake them fresh each time.
How to serve?
We've had several readers say that their polished off the whole batch straight from the baking pan 🥰
We love to scoop over white rice for an easy weeknight dinner.
More Cauliflower recipes to try
Sweet & Spicy Sriracha Roasted Cauliflower and Cashews - Asian Style
- ½ medium to large cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt ( or one healthy pinch)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup toasted cashews (unsalted)
- chopped scallions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Toss cauliflower, vegetable oil, salt and pepper in a baking sheet. Spread in a single layer and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until cooked.
- While the cauliflower is baking, make sauce and chop scallions.
Make Sriracha-Soy Sauce
- Stir all sauce ingredients ( Sriracha, sugar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes) in a medium bowl, until sugar is dissolved completely. Set aside.
- Remove baking pan from oven ( do not turn oven off) and place on a wire rack. Add sauce ( scrape bowl to get all the sauce out ---> good stuff), cashews and scallions. Toss well until evenly coated ( be careful with the hot pan), spread in a single layer and return pan back to the oven.
- Bake for 3 minutes for sauce to set, remove pan and place on a wire rack to cool slightly before eating.
- Delicious plain or served over white rice. (If serving over rice, make sure to get as much sauce out of the baking pan using a flat spatula) . Garnish with more scallions.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love your feedback! Please let me know by leaving a comment or review below or snap a photo and share on Instagram.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting kitchenathoskins.com
All contents and images are my original work, unless and otherwise mentioned. Please do not use my recipes or images without linking back to www.kitchenathoskins.com. If you wish to republish a recipe, please rewrite in your own words and don’t forget to include a link back to the original recipe.